Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to wait for the order as the hitch was back ordered. The hitch was installed quickly and without any troubles.

I had to remove the mounting bracket that was used during shipping and bolt the hitch to the frame with the four bolts supplied.

I liked the look of this hitch better as it appeared to tuck under the bumper more then the straight ones that others have ordered. Truth be told, I was looking for the one that was curvy and went even further under the back but the picture on DrawTites web site was wrong.

In any case, glad to have it done. See the picture in my gallery. Also got my mud flaps installed. It's been a busy week for the RAV.

U

·
0 Posts
It's hard to tell from your picture, but does the hitch protrude out beyond the bumper? I want one that's recessed under the bumper so I don't bang my shins on it. Also, to clarify, did you install it easily yourself? To install, do you have to remove parts and drill holes? Are you happy with the hitch after using it?

·
Registered
652 Posts
I have the same hitch (see album) and I'm happy with it. I use it for a bike rack and the only issue I have is that it decreases your approach and departure angle. There is no drilling etc. It is a do it yourself install that takes 15 minutes. One thing that is handy is a torque wrench. You have to remove the shipping bracket (2 bolts).

And no you can't walk into it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
What is the name pf the hitch

What is the name of the hitch? Is it called the round drawtite? I will be looking for one in the future? Is there a web site?

cranberry

·
Registered
652 Posts
Re: What is the name pf the hitch

cranberry said:
What is the name of the hitch? Is it called the round drawtite? I will be looking for one in the future? Is there a web site?

cranberry
Hidden Hitch Class III Round Tube Receiver Hitch

On sale now at etrailer.com for $132.95.

There is a similar draw tight at the same site.

R

·
0 Posts
Hey Janos. I'm interested in installing a hitch for a bike rack only. I have the Toyota tow prep package. Am I correct in assuming that you don't need to mess with wiring if you are going to use a bike rack only? What are your impressions of your hitch now that you've had a chance to use it some? Thanks.

·
Banned
2,669 Posts
While you're waiting for janos' story, I can tell you that it works fine but has so-so looks. Check the pictures janos has. My pictures don't show it well.

·
Registered
58 Posts
RAV4DB said:
Hey Janos. I'm interested in installing a hitch for a bike rack only. I have the Toyota tow prep package. Am I correct in assuming that you don't need to mess with wiring if you are going to use a bike rack only? What are your impressions of your hitch now that you've had a chance to use it some? Thanks.
If you're using it for a bike rack you don't need to worry about the wiring harness.

I've got the same hitch and have hooked up a bike rack to it and I don't think it would cause any problems although it is close to the spare tire.

Tim

·
Registered
652 Posts
RAV4DB said:
RAV4DB - I second what friendly_jacek said. The look isn't the greatest, although I'm getting use to it. But I have no other choice, I'm not putting a rack on the roof or tire. A thing to consider is that is does cut down on your approach and departure angle slightly.

No wiring is involved at all.

In case your interested I bought the swing out bike rack and I'm very satisfied with it. Although it costs a little more, I can easily get into the cargo area without taking off the bikes. If your interested I may have pics that I can put in my album.

Knowing what I know now, I would do the same setup again.

·
Registered
652 Posts
The specs on it say 58.5 lbs. That feels about right. Its design ensures no movement what so ever.

It goes for around $400. I had hit a sale of 25% off racks and accessories. I had to buy the bar for a female bike.

It holds 4 bikes and incorporates anti sway pieces and a cable lock. The rack also locks onto the hitch.

I'm very satisfied.

R

·
0 Posts
Janos

I just installed the Draw-Tite 75432 hitch. Now I'm interested in getting a swing-away bike rack for 2 bikes. What brand and model is your swing-away bike rack? It looks like just what I'm in need of.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts