Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was a little Leary installing a remote start into a newer vehicle needing a Ignition Bypass so I did as much research and homework prior and ended up going with a Crimestopper RS4-G5 and Fortin Key Overide All.
I made the purchase from an Ebay shop that supply's a tech sheet for the Rav4 specifically which really made the install process go much smoother. What im not 100% sure on is if the retailer did in fact have to pre program the bypass or if this is a learned function once installed. Either way, the install was a success.
If you have decent to good wiring ability then I would say go for it. This one took me 5 hours total and could cut that time in half now that I know how the system programs and where each component is located.

I did have a couple baffled moments with the directions which I will touch upon and show some pics that maybe can help someone down the road.

1st of here is the wiring flow chart for my application (2009 Rav4 Sport, 4 cylinder, Automatic with 40 Bit Key):

Most of the illustrations and charts were spot on except for the Vehicle "RX" @ 7 Pin pats connector, "TX" @ 7 pin pats connector as well as the vehicle key sense wire. See the below pics of what those components actually look like in the Rav 4:

This photo I found on 12volt.com so I must give them credit for doing that leg work:

Another 12volt.com pic which helped out tremendously with the lock wires:

Ebay Vendor

Hopefully this can help out somewhat to anyone thinking of installing there own Remote Start system. Please take the above as reference material, always double check your wiring and polarity as vehicles tend to change quite a bit.

-Wes

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks Wes, I'm debating on installing one on my 09'. I come from an audio systems in cars back ground and not sure if I should attempt to tackle this. I also have a full nitrous kit with standalone and a bunch of accessories that I haven't had the balls yet to try on my fun car. Like I said, just hesitant...

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks Wes, I'm debating on installing one on my 09'. I come from an audio systems in cars back ground and not sure if I should attempt to tackle this. I also have a full nitrous kit with standalone and a bunch of accessories that I haven't had the balls yet to try on my fun car. Like I said, just hesitant...

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
You shouldn't have any issue at all with your backround. Wires are wires.

I will see if I can attach the PDF file that had the full cheat sheet.

What I did also was go to Bull Dog remote starters and printed there Rav 4 wire charts to be double sure I was making the proper connections. Bull Dog has always had great vehicle wiring charts but there producs leave a lot to be desired.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i installed one of these a couple years ago in my 2010 sport sap v6...i opted to use the factory remote to activate it and love it.
My only issue with the factory unit that uses the factory Key Fob is the limited range distance and the 3x lock activation. Where I live and work, I have quite a few obstructions as well as distance from me to the car, so range was of utmost concern. I would not even look at a system that has less than 1500ft Range.
The factory option does work well for those not having distance concerns though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Attached is the Tip/Sheet as well as bypass sheet. With this sheet I did the entire install.

It's really an over thought process. IMO with mith moderate wiring ability, this is a very doable job.

I don't in any way have any affiliation with the Ebay vendor but they are cureently one of the few choices when I searched that had a Rav4 friendly Bypass. I would love to clarify if they do indeed have to pre program the bypass for the Toyota line up and or the Rav 4. There site would lead you to believe that they do, however the bypass once installed does go thru a programming phase that marries it to the 40 bit key.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I should also mention, that on the Rav 4 there were only 18 wire connections and of those 18, 3 of them can be done on your work bench leaving 15 at the vehicle. Those 15 connections are very accessible by removing the steering column covers (no screws, just clicks together), center knee bulster cover below column (2 phillips head screws), driver side kick panel as well as fuse cover. Word to the wise would let the truck run for about 30 mins with heat on high if its cold. The plastic dash panels can be brittle when cold. Heat works wonders for them at removal time. You do not need to remove the whole A pillar Air bag panel, just pull it a lil bit away and fish the Antenna wire thru (this was done in literally under 5 mins).

·
Registered
178 Posts
My only issue with the factory unit that uses the factory Key Fob is the limited range distance and the 3x lock activation. Where I live and work, I have quite a few obstructions as well as distance from me to the car, so range was of utmost concern. I would not even look at a system that has less than 1500ft Range.
The factory option does work well for those not having distance concerns though.
yeah i hear you on the distance issue. i have no need for distance and i preferred not to have more remotes than i need. the nice thing about my system is i can add a remote and antenna if i decide i need it in the future. i set mine up for 2 unlock pulses to engage the remote starter. another benefit of doing it that way is i can leave the kids, wife or whoever in the car and if they press the unlock button on the door twice the rav will start and provide heat, ac, window and radio functions if needed. when i installed a remote starter on my wife's car i used one with an antenna since she needed range.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Here is the Bully Dog wiring chart link so you can double check your vehicle wiring and component location.
Once I saw that both the Ebay Vendor as well as Bulldog listed the same, I felt much more comfortable with moving forward. Heck, all thats left to do is some soldering :smile

http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/bdnew/vehiclewiringdiagrams.aspx
you should amend your post to provide correct information. (bully dog) is for large vehicles and diesel tuning. (bulldog security) is the website that provides remote starter wiring among other things.

·
Registered
1 Posts
thanks for posting this info, Wes. For the RX and TX wires, how were you able to determine which to use? The wires coming from that transponder coil on my 2010 are:

red-gray-green-pink-pink-black

do you remember which ones you used?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Nice post. This is the kind of thing that is super helpful and probably something that will bring a lot of first timers to the forums. Even if they aren't forum type people, they'll be out there googling for how to do something and it is usually a forum post like this which gives them the answer.

This type of system was a little more involved than I wanted to get with my setup. I went with one that just plugged into the ECU and tapped into one wire and still used the factory remote. Fortunately I can park right outside my office window, so I'm like 20 feet away from my car all day. If I start it up before I leave my office then it is usually warmed up by the time I wind my way out of the building and out to the parking lot. If I had to park further away then I can see needing something with more range. Not sure I would have gone for it if it meant carrying another fob on my keyring, though. I wonder if there is a way to boost the factory antenna to give a little better range? It's probably a safety feature so you don't accidently unlock your car when you are too far away to get to it before someone else or something.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you happen to have a link for your version. I'm a little leary of all the wiring involved in OP's post, but the ecu plug sounds less intimidating. I'd love a remote start so I can freeze a little less in illinois winters.

Nice post. This is the kind of thing that is super helpful and probably something that will bring a lot of first timers to the forums. Even if they aren't forum type people, they'll be out there googling for how to do something and it is usually a forum post like this which gives them the answer.

This type of system was a little more involved than I wanted to get with my setup. I went with one that just plugged into the ECU and tapped into one wire and still used the factory remote. Fortunately I can park right outside my office window, so I'm like 20 feet away from my car all day. If I start it up before I leave my office then it is usually warmed up by the time I wind my way out of the building and out to the parking lot. If I had to park further away then I can see needing something with more range. Not sure I would have gone for it if it meant carrying another fob on my keyring, though. I wonder if there is a way to boost the factory antenna to give a little better range? It's probably a safety feature so you don't accidently unlock your car when you are too far away to get to it before someone else or something.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts