Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I all, I just installed Rockford Fosgate Prime R165X3 into the back doors and now there is less bass than before! I'm really surprised and totally concerned. Any tips on what's going on? I ordered them through crutchfield and used the kits that went along with it.

I know they are inexpensive, but do these speakers just not have any bass at all or do I need an amp or something?

To note, I already replaced the factory radio with the scion t1808 head unit.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
17 Posts
The frequency responce of your speaker is 52Hz to 20kHz that is not very good in low frequency. I have not found the responce curve on internet but the OEM speaker have probably a better overall responce

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Are the replacement speakers the same impedance as the OEMs? Higher impedance speakers will require turning up the volume knob to play at the same volume as lower impedance ones.

Getting the polarity reversed on one speaker will actually produce worse results than getting it wrong on both of them. When one speaker is reverse connected compared to it's companion speaker you will have some noise cancellation occurring.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Are the replacement speakers the same impedance as the OEMs? Higher impedance speakers will require more power, i.e. turning up the volume knob, to play at the same volume as lower impedance ones. When you're power starved, the bass will be the first to suffer.

Getting the polarity reversed on one speaker will actually produce worse results than getting it wrong on both of them. When one speaker is reverse connected compared to it's companion speaker you will have some noise cancellation occurring.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Are the replacement speakers the same impedance as the OEMs? Higher impedance speakers will require more power, i.e. turning up the volume knob, to play at the same volume as lower impedance ones. When you're power starved, the bass will be the first to suffer.

Just see the speaker specifications. They are not very good in low frequency

·
Registered
104 Posts
How did you mount them - did you reuse the OEM speaker plate / mount? Was it as well sealed as the OEM setup (ie, no gap between the speaker basket and the mount)? Did you replace all the speakers or just the rear doors? If just the rears - that might be your problem, especially if there is a mismatch in power / impedance. If the specs match the OEM speakers - might have to put a baffle behind them to help improve bass response / reproduction. As mentioned above, they aren't really designed for reproducing alot of low frequency sounds. Being an entry level / factory replacement series of Rockford Fosgate triaxial speakers - they tend to have their sweet spot in the vocal / higher frequency ranges. I'm running the Punch series in my Corolla - sounds a lot better than the OEM whizzer cone speakers that were in there originally. Power wise - depends on the impedance of the original speakers and their RMS power rating. Should be printed or stamped on the original speakers. The headunit "should" be strong enough to push those speakers, but also depends on the load on it at the time. If you are mixing speakers - the headunit's amp might not be able to keep up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts