Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install a scanner in my 2017 RAV4 was wondering if anyone has done this yet. I was thinking of mounting it on the side of the center console and fishing a cable from the battery into the cabin. An antenna won't be a problem since I can run that through the liftgate and underneath the floor.

·
Registered
644 Posts
A police scanner or a document scanner? :)
Make sure the police scanner works well before you install it. Most police switched away from analog.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A police scanner or a document scanner? :)
Make sure the police scanner works well before you install it. Most police switched away from analog.
Police scanner. It picks up digital and analog signals. I actually found a Radio Shack still open near me, 60% off all items, so I got an adapter for the 12VDC plug for a few bucks and my scanner fits snuggly between the seat and center console. :smile I think I'm going to mount it to the side of the center console later as a more permanent solution and get a couple antennas.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Better check your state and local jurisdictions on having a scanner in your vehicle. It's a no no to have one permanently mounted or for use in nonemergency vehicles in most states.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Truckers use them religiously over the road. Off-roaders use them as well to stay in touch when on a trail run. Many CB'ers I knew became HAM operators.

The key is to adjust the antenna so the SWR readings are low on all the CB frequencies.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They're legal in Virginia as long as you don't use it to follow emergency vehicles to the scene. Besides, my main intention is to listen to CB channels, weather, and aircraft when driving. I listen to the police when at home.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts