Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo, All, :)

In a discussion in the 4.2 Faults and Fixes forum (here) about antenna signal, Stelly pointed me to LoCustom, a great antenna import site run by Steve Lough. After explaining my problem, Steve sent me an "Olympus Active Amplifier" that's from Brazil. He says it's the strongest amp on the market, with separate amplifiers for AM and FM as well as a noise filter; apparently it's the same amplifier that's built in to the base of the amplified FUBA antennas that come on many European cars (VW, etc.). I have no idea about all that, but I'm excited to try to get it installed!

However, it requires me to:

• 1. Remove my stereo from the dash
    2. Connect the amp in-line with the current antenna wire
    3. Connect +12V to the amp
I know how to do none of these! Is there anybody who could give me an idea of how to do the first and third (I figure determining the antenna connection shouldn't be a problem after I get the radio out!)?? This is all new for me - I've never modded a car in my life! Woo-hoo, new experiences!

BTW, the stereo is the stock 2005 "L" unit (6-speakers), 2-DIN, single-CD slot, tape player, and radio.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on how to remove the stereo and locate a +12V source for the amp. I appreciate your help!

---Jason

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Half-way there!

Yo, Slayer, :)

'Sup, dude? Good to hear from you! Found a nav HU you like, yet?

Slayer said:
Look down near the bottom of the DIY page and there should be a thread on 2004+ stereo installation. That should help you out with removing the stereo.
Yeah, thanx. Got the stereo removed. Now I gotta figure out how to get +12V to the signal amplifier. Which wire???

---Jason

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jason,

New guy here - first post!

If you don't use the 12v accessory plug built into the ashtray, you could pull the 12v wire off the back of it. You still have the "accessory outlet" up in the console, right?

Will you let me know how well it works and what you paid? My radio reception couldn't be much worse. :x

Mike

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shorter Antennas don't work very well

I tried one of those 15" shorter antennas, and it does not work as well on FM as the longer stock antenna. Just my 2 cents worth if you were thinking of getting a shorter antenna.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Any auto parts store will have a squeeze/crimp on clip that will allow you to tap into the 12v cigarette lighter wire without interrupting it's function as "animal" suggested.
Let us know how well it works as all the new Rav's have lousey reception..... :roll:

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Canadian Tire Shorter Antenna

I live 90 miles from the closest FM radio station, so my experience with the short 15" antenna was a bit out of the ordinary. It probably works fine if you live in a big city.

If you live in Canada, or know someone in Canada who can mail you stuff, Canadian Tire sells a fiberglass 15" antenna that screws right into the RAV4 connector perfectly. I have not seen anything in the US that comes close, except those flexable rubber antennas you see on ebay.

The Canadian Tire part number is #35-0588-0 ($16 CDN).

http://www.canadiantire.ca/

Someone in Canada should sell these on ebay for $25 US, because they are so hard to find. They come with 4 different adapter threads so they fit most every car with a screw in antenna.

I called Canadian Tire Online, and tried to order this part directly from them, but they won't ship to the US. (They are probably losing a lot of US business with their shipping policy).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts