Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Our recently purchased '06 RAV4 needed an auto-dimming mirror, so I had found a dealer through e B a y who seemed to have other parts I was looking at. The instructions came with it was 95% correct except for how to take the stock one out. Thanks to the mod on the sticky for giving me some direction, so I would like to contribute to my experience.

Part number: 00016-42116
Tools used: panel popper, T20 torx screw bit, 10mm open wrench
Time to install: ~1 hour

The stock mount didn't have any screw, but there's a clip that need to be popped out towards the back.

Give it a good tug and slide the mirror base out towards the rear. This is what the back of the base look like.

Remove the driver's front scuff plate by simply popping it up and out.

Remove the driver's side cowl cover by first removing the round clip/cover and then popping it out.

Pull down on the weather strip.

Pop the top of the A-pillar panel out, but DO NOT pull it out yet.

This A-pillar clip needs to be rotated 90-degrees (either CW or CCW is fine) in order to release the panel. The clip DOES NOT come out. The white wrap is the side airbag, be careful not to "disturb" it.

Now the A-pillar panel can be disengaged and pull out towards the rear.

Install the harness into the mirror.

Tighten the mirror base with T20 torx screw bit. Instruction indicated tighten to 15.5 in-lb (1.75 N-m) with a torque wrench, but I just tightened it to a point where it didn't seem to be loose.

Route the wires up into the headliner and roof. Use the included expandable cover to hide the wires.

Use the included zip ties and secure the wires with the factory harness.

Remove the 10mm bolt in the lower dash trim in order to run the wires behind it.

Split the power and ground wires for easier connections.

Locate the factory 10mm ground bolt and use an open wrench to loosen it. A socket was too big to fit over it due to the surrounding wire harnesses.

Locate the 20-pin wire harness...

...and pull it out.

Attach the included t-tap to the dark blue wire (pin #14); should be the ACC wire.

Attach the clip onto the t-tap.

Plug the harness back and zip tie the loose wires up.

Turn on the car (no need to start) and make sure the green light and 'C' appear.

The compass will take about 10-15 minutes to calibrate, then the 'C' will disappear and be replaced with actual direction sense.

These steps are the same as indicated in the factory instructions, but with real pictures. I know I could've just used the moonroof wires as from the guide, but I thought I would just follow the factory ones.

Hope this may help others as an additional source since I've gained knowledge from doing some research here. :)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Mods, please sticky this

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
RTexasF said:
Nice write up. You went to a lot of trouble and it's appreciated, thank you.
No problem. In fact, I woke up at 6:30AM to work on it since I was a bit excited. :lol:

LATINDIVA44 said:
Excellent write up and great detailed pictures, think this setup would work in a 2007??
Yes, this will work in a 2007; should be applicable from 2006 to 2011.

UWISHU1 said:
nice work. any link or info on where you bought the mirror
The dealer that I had found on e B a y goes by the registered name of "toyotaofmcdonough." He didn't list the mirror as an auction part, but most of his parts were cheaper, so I had asked him about it specifically. He tried to work with me to get the lowest shipping costs since I had bought 3 items, but since most of these were individually boxed, it was hard. He tried to stuff the mirror with the rear bumper protector box, but felt safer to ship it separately at no extra cost to me.

This is his information:
John Talentino
770-288-3755
Toyota of McDonough
144 Highway 81 West
McDonough, GA 305253

I had checked with various online dealers before looking to e B a y, but none of them seemed to have offered better pricing. And John was the only one that responded to my initial and subsequent questions promptly.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
I have a similar mirror. Regarding the auto-dimming function, I feel the dimming is insufficient when there is a bright headlight behind me. I found there is a light sensor on the front of the mirror, and another that looks thru the mirror surface facing back. The mirror uses the two light intensity values to determine the dimming that it will produce.

With the darker window tinting in the back, and the little to no tinting in the windshield, the mirror does not dim as much as I would like for the headlights behind. I have thought about putting some tinting material over the front sensor to let the front and rear sensors to have matching light attenuation. I have not done it. I have put my finger over the front sensor to test the effect. I am throwing this out as an idea.

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,415 Posts
Mine works perfectly with the factory privacy glass tint.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Awesome write up! Thanks :)

Just one word of caution: be careful when removing A-pillar garnish as the clip on top deforms easily if squeezed or twisted too much. I would even recommend putting a new clip when reassembling the garnish (its not expensive). This is to prevent it from opening a gap on top and/or eventually falling off...

·
Premium Member
4,250 Posts
Did mine yesterday, I just wired it from the sunroof power. Took me 10 minutes.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hmmmmmmmm, I just saw a '05 Toyota Sienna that looks like it has this type of rvm, wonder if it will work with my '07 Rav4. Next time I go to the U Pull Yard I will take pictures to show you guys.

·
16,415 Posts
Nicely done, KTL! Very professional install, just like I would have done! :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
What I'm looking for is the power from reverse light switch on my 09

This particular auto dim mirror is supposed to shut off and not dim at all when reverse is applied.
If your backing up to a drive way or well lit space. Your mirror would dim and restrict view. They are supposed to shut off the dimming. Typically there is a hot wire that runs to the mirror from the reverse switch to activate this function.

Does anyone have diagrams or pictures of where this might be?
I'm using the 06 BMW Mirror with hidden compass (no black box where the compass sits) and 3 buttons for homelink. It has a very good auto dim system that is fast with excellent transition.

Either way.....I need to tap into a reverse light activated hot wire.

06 BMW mirror-

Found it......in the panel above the hood release. The red wire going down behind the black ribbed connector.
Bottom of the plug on the right hand side. In the corner
In the picture it's shown next to the large blue accessory wire
https://flic.kr/p/zZwL76

Now I need to find a switched hot wire. The sunroof and the blue accessory wire are hot all the time.

With the picture below. I found a nice switched hot behind the kick panel. It is a thicker blue wire at the bottom of a plug towards the floor.
I wanted a thicker blue wire to make sure there was enough power for the mirror and whatever else that power.
I've seen where the mirror was tapped into circuits that don't give it enough power and it doesn't work.

I wil post the connections into the back of the mirror for anyone interested. It runs 3 wires.....hot, ground, reverse +12
On the mirror harness.....
Pin 1...reverse
Pin 3...power
Pin 10...ground

·
16,415 Posts
I've never heard of that reverse disable feature. I'm pretty sure the autodimming mirror that came installed on my 2008 doesn't do that. These diagrams may help you find the wire for the backup lights:

·
Registered
14 Posts
That's the wire I'm looking For
Thank you for the picture

The BMW set up shuts off the auto dim so it's not dark when your backing into a lit area. When reverse is applied, the dim feature goes away and you have a good view.

i upgraded my BMW 330ci with the one above, plug and play. It's a pretty high quality part still used on the new cars..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
16 Participants
Marvincapinpinrn
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing