Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I just finished installing an electric brake controller on my Rav4. It was not as easy as hoped and the way Toyota advertised this model’s towing capabilities was deceptive at best! It was advertised as being capable of towing up to 3500lbs “when properly equipped “ In reality, it comes with a larger radiator and engine and trans coolers from the factory but no connectors set up to make installation of a controller easy. I’m only towing 2500 lbs max ( an Aliner fully loaded) I used a Reese 4 pin trailer wiring kit , a 4 pin flat to 7 pin round plug kit and a Curt Triflex proportional brake controller. I was told that the easiest way to do this was with a wireless controller but I chose to hardwire instead.
The installation of the flat 4 pin kit and the flat 4 to 7 pin conversion were fairly straight forward but require removing most rear interior panels. The hard part for me was the “trigger” signal wiring for the controller. Normally you’d used the wire on the brake switch above the brake pedal but on the RAV4 it has a 4 wire plug using very thin wire which goes to the ecm I believe. From there it hands off to a brake relay which then goes to the lights through a 7.5 amp fuse. I chose to get my trigger signal at this point because I’m not sure if those thin wires (20-22 gauge wire) could handle the extra load. I wound up running a few wires under the carpet and rocker panel interior panels to the front. Some of the wires need to be connected directly to the battery and I also wanted Aux power going to the 7 pin connector so I could run the small fridge of my Aliner on 12 volt while on the road. I also used a relay after the 30 amp self resetting breaker for the Aux power feed so it didn’t drain my battery when the car wasn’t running.
Gas Automotive tire Bottle Machine Automotive exterior
Handwriting Rectangle Font Wood Material property
Audio equipment Musical instrument accessory Guitar accessory Guitar Musical instrument

Attachments

·
Registered
623 Posts
Factual statements you are relaying from Toyota: "when properly equipped."

Are you saying the other auto makers (Ford, GM, Honda, Nissan, BMW, MB, Porsche, Audi, VW) provide the "properly equipped" equipment as standard for their compact SUVs?

·
Super Moderator
11,325 Posts
No RAV4 comes with a brake controller or a receiver hitch, so if that's the criteria none are "properly equipped" to tow anything.

And BTW, thanks for the write-up and photos.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts