Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there more than one piece? I have a bare cover and that's it. Silly question but I'm not sure how it is supposed to stay on the tire when I don't see anything for it to lock on to. :oops:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only have the actual cover. It didn't come with a wheel retaining bracket unless that's already standard on the RAV4.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your help PBG. No wonder the cover was so cheap! The person who sold it to me didn't know about the wheel retaining bracket either. Now that I have both parts I was able to install it and am now one happy camper.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was impatient to install the cover so I overpaid the dealer for the bracket (compared to being more patient and buying it cheaper on ebay or elsewhere). :roll:

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Removed Tire Cover

I hated the cheap plastic silver cover that came with my S model - it looked like a large silver balloon, so I removed it and bought a nice Fan Blade Rim ($218) and hung that on the back without a cover (aka Jeep like). This was cheaper than buying the dealer's $360 black painted cover.

Rear photos at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2070699

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks nice. You might want to put some lug locks on it :shock:

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Parkwaycruiser, thanks for the info. I really like your page with the pics and mod info. As a new owner I was plesed to see what research and mods you have done.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Spare

I see a lot of really interesting mods in posts, but you rarely see how much it cost and where did they get it from. Adding the links and prices just makes these types of forums all that much of a better resource for others to use.

The cost of the Fan Blade Rim ($218) and generic brand of spare tire ($80) were cheaper than the dealer's painted tire cover ($360), so I'd be more concerned about having my tire cover stolen, than the spare tire.

I think it looks better anyway. I put a coat of black shoe polish on the spare tire and it really holds up to the weather, because of the wax in the polish.

My RAV4 is leased, so the mods I do have to be backed off when the vehicle is turned in in July 2009. That sort of limits you to bolt on, screw on, or swap out simple mods. I still have the original spare tire and all the original sized Toyo tires.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Spare Tire Cover

I also am an owner of a cover, without the mounting.
From my dealer this is a Can$ 200 piece.
ALthough i have never seen it, is it possible for me to fabricate this unit myself.

Would there be a possiblity to buy one as an aftermarket item (assuming there is aftermarket manufacturers of the hard wheel covers).

Paul

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
You could phone the junk yards around area to see if they have any 4.2 RAV's. I also have seen crashed RAV's sold in parts on Ebay, but not often.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts