Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm going to be installing a Pioneer AVIC-8200nex on my 05 Rav4. I'm pretty much a noobie when it comes to installing or doing anything regarding cars but I've been doing research. I wanted to ask about how to find the VSS wire so that I can connect it the speed pulse wire on my head unit's harness. I did research and saw that a lot people say that you can reach the speed sensor wire from the back of the radio in the 18 pin connector of the vehicle's harness.

But after seeing pictures of other peoples connectors, mine are different. I don't have or see a 18 pin connector anywhere in the back from where I removed the radio. I know the speed sensor isn't required but I want to have it connected.

edit: I'm unable to post the thread with any images since it says I don't have enough posts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to include since I cannot post any links or pictured. I have 6 pin, 10 pin, and 20 pin connectors in my vehicle harness. The 6 and 10p connectors are yellowish and the 20 pin connector has much smaller pins and is more white.

edit: Nvm I'm able to edit the links and images in now.

I referenced to this pdf and shows the 18p connector with the speed sensor wire: https://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/%7B8B1CC2A2-5221-4C77-B4E5-211AE648614F%7D/TNS%20200%20(RHD).pdf. Page 18-19.

Picture of the connectors as other people have stated with the 18pin connector:

Pictures of my connectors after removing the radio:

·
Registered
807 Posts
I tapped into the VSS closer to the ECM, behind the glovebox. I'll check on my lunch break what color it is. I used scotch clips to tap into it. Not the best practice, but does the job. You can drop your glovebox down rather easy (no screws, just have to press in on the sides, and have full access to the wires needed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tapped into the VSS closer to the ECM, behind the glovebox. I'll check on my lunch break what color it is. I used scotch clips to tap into it. Not the best practice, but does the job. You can drop your glovebox down rather easy (no screws, just have to press in on the sides, and have full access to the wires needed.
Thanks! That'd be great if you could tell me which wire it is and what color.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm wondering why my harness connectors are different from a lot of other people that have those connectors with the 18pin. Are they really supposed to be located in the harness behind the radio or is it just that I don't have them/mine are different?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
The VSS wire is always purple, at least on the 4.3's. It seems to show up everywhere, behind the radio, the instrument panel, the 4WD ECU, etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The VSS wire is always purple, at least on the 4.3's. It seems to show up everywhere, behind the radio, the instrument panel, the 4WD ECU, etc.
I assume 4.2 and 4.3 are different though? Everyone says the VSS wire is purple/white in the back of the radio on the 18 pin connector so I'm not sure. Or at least I don't have those connectors. Only one I have is the solid purple wire on the 10 pin connector in the picture in the back of the radio.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I dont think its got one? Nothing on the old radio gave any speed info. I would assume the Pioneer head unit would use the built in GPS for speed and not anything from the car.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
I dont think its got one? Nothing on the old radio gave any speed info. I would assume the Pioneer head unit would use the built in GPS for speed and not anything from the car.
It's called ASL (Automatic Sound Leveling). It slightly raises the volume of the radio as your speed increases to overcome road noise. On the Toyota radio, it's listed on the display along with bass, treble, balance, etc.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
The wiring diagram shows the VSS wire is Violet and white.

It connects to pin #16 on the "Multi Display" unit, which seems to be a different (but related) component than the "Radio & Player" unit.

So start by finding a connector that has at least 16 contacts, and look for a violet/white wire.

The wire runs from the "Multi Display" to the "Combination Meter" (i.e. dashboard display), and then to the "Engine & ECT ECU". The color remains violet/white at these locations as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts