Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I got this cd player last night, and my cousin came over to help install the cd player.. only problem is.. we dont know what color wire is for what speaker.. like the front left and right speaker.. by lookin in the door panel , shows the same colored wires.. so we're really confused.. its a 1997 Rav4 2dr sport edition.. we can get power going to the cd player, but we cant get display or any audio... so could anybody help in telling me what color wire is for what speaker and what the problem could be?

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much, is it wise to unhook the battery while trying to hook up the stereo ?

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
iceache said:
Thank you so much, is it wise to unhook the battery while trying to hook up the stereo ?
I would... though others will probably respond that it's not necessary :roll:

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, everything is hooked up "properly" .. now the cd player comes on when the key is in the ignition and the key is set in the on or acc position.. but when i go to start the rav4 it seems as tho the battery is dead... could it be possible that the Red power and the Yellow constant power wires could be reversed and that its just draining battery power?

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
iceache said:
.. now the cd player comes on when the key is in the ignition and the key is set in the on or acc position.. but when i go to start the RAV4 it seems as tho the battery is dead...
Does it appear the CD player is powered up even when the key is off? My guess is your battery is weak/tired. Are your battery terminals clean?How old is it :?:

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no the player shuts off when the key is turned off.. which is good.. the battery is brand new, so im guessing just a dead battery... but i get a FAILURE from the cd player when i turn it on, which means that the amp or speakers arent hooked up properly.. i get sound. so im guessing i might have my red and yellow mixed up

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, i switched the red and yellow wires around, and now i can start the rav4 which is good news, but im still getting a "Failure" on the cd player upon start up, but it still plays cds which is good.. so what is the recommended speaker size for a 97 rav4 2 door? i heard 5.5" for the doors, is it the same for the back?

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, so, the wires were in right the first time... now the only problem im having, is there is no sound coming out of my front right speaker... I have it hooked up right, just no sound... anyone with a 97 rav4 2 door, that has put in their own cd player.. if you know could you help a brother out

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
ok did you buy an after market plug that plug into the radio check all your wires maybe one of them is not making contact . try putting in the old radio to see if everything works if it does that means you got a loose wire some where let me know if you need more help .

1996-97 Toyota Rav4 Stereo Information
Constant 12V+ Blue/Yellow
Switched 12V+ Gray
Ground Brown
Illumination Green/White
Dimmer n/a
Antenna Driver's Pillar
Front Speakers 6 1/2" Doors
Left Front (+) Purple
Left Front (-) Purple
Right Front (+) Light Green
Right Front (-) Blue
Rear Speakers 6 1/2" Side Panels
Left Rear (+) Black
Left Rear (-) Yellow
Right Rear (+) Red
Right Rear (-) White

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no, my uncle figured it out for me.. one of the amps in the stereo is busted, cuz we hooked up another speaker to the stereo and it made this loud crackling noise.. so its not the speaker. its the stereo itself, and im going to get it exchanged tomorrow cuz its still within the 30 day limit thing

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.