Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone installed a two way radio in their rig? I am a ham radio operator and plan to install my dual band mobile radio. The owners manual says to contact Toyota prior to installing a radio. Just wondering if anyone has had any problems? I've never had any computer problems in the past with the radio as the RF chassis has (and will be) in the rear of the vehicle.

P

·
0 Posts
I'm a Communications/electronics Tech for DoD and have to deal with EMI constantly. Locating the Xceiver in the rear should be fine but just in case the impedence is not a "perfect match" (like it ever is or will be :D )tween your antenna and PA stack (you know the good old VSWR), I would locate it on the opposite side that the JBL amp is located just to be safe. Other than that, should be fine.... good luck! :D

·
Registered
420 Posts
I don't think a 144/430 set would do any harm to PCM if the cabling is done properly and it's not unduly powerful (like 5W).

I have a CB and so far everything is fine except that I pick a lot of interference from the car. This unit comes off my old car and there wasn't anything like that there. Every electric component has its tone: wipers, windows, and the radiator fans. I do not know if I pick it through the power of through the antenna. I just use a window-mount for now. The interference is not too bad, in an urban area you'd never even notice that it's there because of the need to squelch the jackasses.

·
Registered
97 Posts
zaitcev said:
I don't think a 144/430 set would do any harm to PCM if the cabling is done properly and it's not unduly powerful (like 5W).
I'm pushing 50W with no problem, the manuals tend to be on the cautious side, while I'm sure it's possible I've never seen a radio install mess with the cars CPU.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Woody1 said:
The owners manual says to contact Toyota prior to installing a radio.
So it's been 5 months - did you ever contact the Mother Ship, what did they say, and did you install your radio?

If so can you post pics and a report? I'm interested. I'm not a ham yet but am working on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts