Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In my 2017 RAV4 Hybrid XLE I have a problem with readability of the instrument panel during daylight. Depending on the time of day, the brightness of the sun and the direction of travel, when I glance at the instrument panel (which contains the speedometer, fuel gage coolant temperature plus other quantities) I cannot discern the display because the instrument panel is inadequately illuminated. Sometimes all I can see are black circles on both the speedometer and tachometer sides.The most important display on the instrument panel is the speedometer and there are times circumstances when I just cannot see it.

I notice that the longer I stare at the display (while stopped), while my eyes adjust to the change in ambient light, eventually I can read it, but this means I must divert my vision from the road ahead and of course that is unsafe, so I don't do this while in motion.

Is anyone else having a problem like this?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Welcome! Not so much on the instrument panel, but the radio / rear view cam washes out with the sunroof visor open on mine.

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
Apparently Toyota hasn't sorted out this problem for the 4.4 RAVs since I have the same problem with my 4.3, especially when the sun is to my left and shines through the driver's window.

Reactions: Stanley Kazan

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have no complain at all, I live in sunny florida sometimes like to drive with the sunroof open if not raining. oh wait maybe it is because my windows are tinted :D

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,756 Posts
Apparently Toyota hasn't sorted out this problem for the 4.4 RAVs since I have the same problem with my 4.3, especially when the sun is to my left and shines through the driver's window.
I never have this problem with my 4.3. Maybe because I leave the brightness turned all the way up past the click. I can be driving in bright sunlight and then go under an overpass or into a parking garage and the gauges are very easy to see.

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
I never have this problem with my 4.3. Maybe because I leave the brightness turned all the way up past the click. I can be driving in bright sunlight and then go under an overpass or into a parking garage and the gauges are very easy to see.

Max brightness with my dash lights as well. Problem may have to do with the angle of the sun further north . . . .? My eyes were just checked by my ophthalmologist and they're fine! :wink

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yup,

I also turn up the Instrument display control full up during the day on my 2012 Rav and no probs for sure.
Ott.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I believe the reason that the display is hard to read has to do with the time it takes for the pupil to adjust to a change in ambient light. When you're looking ahead through the windshield, then suddenly switch your gaze to the instrument panel, your eyes need time to dilate enough to let in more light. With more illumination the delay should be less. At least that's my theory.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I haven't used my moonroof, so I can't comment on that display
Nice contribution

I have this pretty much every morning that it's sunny out. The angle and placement of the display is actually really bothersome to me and would consider aftermarket head units if I could ENSURE functionality of the other features. Might have to go with a tint, but you can't get away with much in front here in Iowa...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Welcome! Not so much on the instrument panel, but the radio / rear view cam washes out with the sunroof visor open on mine.
Same experience here. Gauges are fine, it's the screen that's the problem in the sun.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Same experience here. Gauges are fine, it's the screen that's the problem in the sun.
Yes, I too have a problem with the screen in the sun.
But in my case the big problem is the displays that show the speed, fuel, engine coolant, etc. The illumination control has very little effect on these displays. The speedometer display is the most important one of that group. If I have been driving in bright sunlight, then shift my gaze from the road to look at the speedometer, initially I cannot see the display. If I look at this display long enough, I will eventually begin to discern the reading as my eyes adjust to the light environment. But the time it takes for eye adjustment is too long for safe driving. (I don't do this unless I pull off the road first)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would get the brightness control switch and the dash lights checked by a mechanic. Worst case scenario (hopefully not) maybe your eyes have an issue?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would get the brightness control switch and the dash lights checked by a mechanic. Worst case scenario (hopefully not) maybe your eyes have an issue?
Control switch and dash lights were checked by Toyota dealer. No malfunction found. I am advised by Toyota that the brightness switch in daylight does not add brightness to the display by design. Also, at night, there is plenty of brightness at the display. As for my eyes, I have a long standing appointment with an ophthalmologist next week. I will have him check my pupillary reflex function as well as anything that might bear on this problem. I am nearsighted and wear glasses but that's all, as far as I know.There are others who experience this problem as well as me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Instrument Panel in Daylight

I have the same problem with my 2017 RAV4 when I have my polarised sunglasses on. Without them it's okay but still dim.

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2017 RAV4 when I have my polarised sunglasses on. Without them it's okay but still dim.

The problem is definitely worse also for me when wearing polarized sunglasses - the dash instruments become basically invisible. Fortunately I only wear those when there is a lot of glare such as the sun shining on wet pavement. But even while wearing lightly tinted sunglasses the instruments are very difficult to read and it is potentially dangerous to have to divert my attention from the road to concentrate on reading the dash info. I didn't have any like problems with my previous vehicles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts