Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Instrument Panel readability in daylight

11K views 35 replies 16 participants last post by  kapoho@guy 
#1 · (Edited)
In my 2017 RAV4 Hybrid XLE I have a problem with readability of the instrument panel during daylight. Depending on the time of day, the brightness of the sun and the direction of travel, when I glance at the instrument panel (which contains the speedometer, fuel gage coolant temperature plus other quantities) I cannot discern the display because the instrument panel is inadequately illuminated. Sometimes all I can see are black circles on both the speedometer and tachometer sides.The most important display on the instrument panel is the speedometer and there are times circumstances when I just cannot see it.

I notice that the longer I stare at the display (while stopped), while my eyes adjust to the change in ambient light, eventually I can read it, but this means I must divert my vision from the road ahead and of course that is unsafe, so I don't do this while in motion.

Is anyone else having a problem like this?

#12 ·
Nice contribution [emoji13]

I have this pretty much every morning that it's sunny out. The angle and placement of the display is actually really bothersome to me and would consider aftermarket head units if I could ENSURE functionality of the other features. Might have to go with a tint, but you can't get away with much in front here in Iowa...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#7 ·
I never have this problem with my 4.3. Maybe because I leave the brightness turned all the way up past the click. I can be driving in bright sunlight and then go under an overpass or into a parking garage and the gauges are very easy to see.

#17 ·
Control switch and dash lights were checked by Toyota dealer. No malfunction found. I am advised by Toyota that the brightness switch in daylight does not add brightness to the display by design. Also, at night, there is plenty of brightness at the display. As for my eyes, I have a long standing appointment with an ophthalmologist next week. I will have him check my pupillary reflex function as well as anything that might bear on this problem. I am nearsighted and wear glasses but that's all, as far as I know.There are others who experience this problem as well as me.

#19 ·
I have the same problem with my 2017 RAV4 when I have my polarised sunglasses on. Without them it's okay but still dim.

The problem is definitely worse also for me when wearing polarized sunglasses - the dash instruments become basically invisible. Fortunately I only wear those when there is a lot of glare such as the sun shining on wet pavement. But even while wearing lightly tinted sunglasses the instruments are very difficult to read and it is potentially dangerous to have to divert my attention from the road to concentrate on reading the dash info. I didn't have any like problems with my previous vehicles.

#20 ·
In my 2017 RAV4 Hybrid XLE I have a problem with readability of the instrument panel during daylight. Depending on the time of day, the brightness of the sun and the direction of travel, when I glance at the instrument panel (which contains the speedometer, fuel gage coolant temperature plus other quantities) I cannot discern the display because the instrument panel is inadequately illuminated. Sometimes all I can see are black circles on both the speedometer and tachometer sides.The most important display on the instrument panel is the speedometer and there are times circumstances when I just cannot see it.

I notice that the longer I stare at the display (while stopped), while my eyes adjust to the change in ambient light, eventually I can read it, but this means I must divert my vision from the road ahead and of course that is unsafe, so I don't do this while in motion.

Is anyone else having a problem like this?
I have the 2017 Hybrid SE and have the same problem, I bought it used from a dealer in October, at first I thought the lights had burned out and wanted it fixed. The dealer told me there was nothing wrong, that is was a design flaw and there was nothing they could do, It's really a safety hazard especially on the freeway, I have no idea how fast I'm going other than to judge by the speed of other cars. On city streets if there's no traffic, I really don't have a clue as to exactly how fast I'm going. Staring at the it doesn't help much if I'm driving on the freeway

#21 ·
In my 2017 RAV4 Hybrid XLE I have a problem with readability of the instrument panel during daylight. Depending on the time of day, the brightness of the sun and the direction of travel, when I glance at the instrument panel (which contains the speedometer, fuel gage coolant temperature plus other quantities) I cannot discern the display because the instrument panel is inadequately illuminated. Sometimes all I can see are black circles on both the speedometer and tachometer sides.The most important display on the instrument panel is the speedometer and there are times circumstances when I just cannot see it. I notice that the longer I stare at the display (while stopped), while my eyes adjust to the change in ambient light, eventually I can read it, but this means I must divert my vision from the road ahead and of course that is unsafe, so I don't do this while in motion. Is anyone else having a problem like this?
I have the same problem with my 2018 RAV4 Limited.

#22 ·
I have the same general problem--not the digital speed and white lighting as the green and black contrast is terrible for me. The lighting control past the click doesn't do anything during daylight. IMO it would be better if the overall lighting was brighter during daylight. I'll call Toyota Monday on this though I was hoping to hear of some simple adjustment that could be made by me or the dealer. Darn.

My RAV4 is a 2021 Prime SE.

#24 ·
This is going to be a difficult problem to resolve I believe involving the engineering visibility of the panel during different daylight lighting. For the record I am not talking about direct sunlight so don't even consider that sort of difficulty. And I'm not talking about nighttime either. Anyway, I've opened a case with Toyota which ultimately will result in something or maybe just nothing.

#31 ·
I recently found a salvaged 2016 Rav hybrid instument cluster on ebay for $50 and ordered it to experiment on. After some disassembly I could see that the tiny LEDs that illuminate the speedometer are soldered into the circuit board. This is beyond my expertise. The quest for a solution goes on.

#32 ·
We noticed the same problem with our 1-day old 2023 RAV4 today. During the day the instrument cluster display is very dim. My wife (who was driving) said she almost couldn't read the speedometer. This is an obvious safety hazard and is probably illegal - speedometer display MUST be readable. Might be a defense to a speeding ticket - "I couldn't see the speedometer!" Although saying that would probably get you another ticket for operating an unsafe vehicle on public roads...

#33 · (Edited)
After a few days of experimentation I have found a mod that fixed the problem of the instrument lights being too dim during the daytime. Keep in mind that my RAV4 is a 2016 and long out of warranty. Here are the before and after photos:

Before, with dash light dimmer turned to brightest setting.
Speedometer Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Gear shift

After, with new LED strips added behind instrument displays.
Motor vehicle Speedometer Vehicle Automotive design Steering part

#34 · (Edited)
After removing the instrument display from the dash I took it to my workshop and removed the clear front cover.
Light Vehicle Gauge Speedometer Tachometer

Then drilled two small holes as shown below into each side back of the panel into the cavities behind the speedometer and tach/temp gauges.
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle

Bumper Nail Hood Gadget Carbon

I ordered the LED stips below from Amazon: Amazon.com: Geeon Daylight White 12V Car LED Interior Light Strips 12''/30CM for Inside Boats Vehicle Automotive Truck Van Motorcycle Footwell Lighting, UL Listed, Pack of 4 : Automotive. They come in a package of 4 but you only need two for this project.
Font Wood Asphalt Road surface Fashion accessory

Prying back the face of the instument cluster, I threaded the lead wires through the holes in the cavity and inserted a 12-inch LED strip into each side of the panel--one behind the speedo side and the other behind the tach/temp gauge side. The 10mm wide LED strips wind around the inside of the cavities with a slight overlap at the end. I'll post better picture of this when I find them.
Guitar accessory Bumper Gadget Wood Musical instrument accessory

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper Headlamp Sports equipment

The lead wires were then joined in a 5.5mm female connector.
Electrical wiring Electronic instrument Gadget Cable Audio equipment

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.