Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have to compare apples to apples ---- Full Coverage (comprehensive, fire, thieft, etc.) Not just liability people!

Let us know what you pay.

Mine is $1400.00. ($1148.00 US) 1 speeding ticket in the last three years.

Pay Monthy but I still think its too high.

Later. M.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Walt said in the last Topic:

Posted: March 6, 2006, 12:08 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It would be nice to have a poll on see how much we pay for our insurance in diff. Provinces and States. And to see if the price diff. between the new, and the old and older.

I think i pay 2,400 Can. about $2,100 US (yearly).

I've have a perfect record and driven for about 20 years.

The news reports say that people in Ontario, Canada pay almost double than that of some other provinces

Walt

·
Registered
779 Posts
I live in DC (just moved) and have just got a US license after having a clean British license for 13 years. But a foreign driving record counts for sh*t in the US.

So, WHACK!

US$1100 for six months. I feel like I'm 17 again.

And it's only a 1999 RAV!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
These comparisons are somewhat pointless as it varies so much from city to city, age, etc.

Wife's 05 Rav is 342.75/6 months or $57/month.

My '00 Celica is 320.54/6 months or $53/month.

Ironically I'm the one with a speeding ticket on file. Also my DRL discount is better than the alarm discount on the RAV.

R

·
0 Posts
I pay a little less than 1400 for my RAV yearly and its 3 years old. The insurance guy said it has to do with the fact that the RAV is expensive, is a SUV, its a Toyota and it doesnt lose its value from year to year as much as others.

But he said the worst part is that its labeled sporty. Any vehicle regardless of what it is, whether it has 40 HP or 300, once it gets a label with sporty the cost goes up. I dont think that is the case but any excuse for an insurance company that works for them they will use so in my opinion so I can believe it :)

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Ian, no offence, but I think they are worried that you’ll wake up one morning and drive to work on the left hand side of the road. :lol:
Seriously, They should at least test you out for one year. But sometimes the gov. systems just don’t work together. Like how Ebay had trouble with Canada’s credit card sytem.

Walt

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Lets not forget that the theft rates also have much to do with insurance prices on a particular vehicle.

Ok Nouse we’ll be a bit more specific than. :p

- 3 or more drivers or vehicles
- License suspended in the last 3 years
- Insurance policy cancelled/refused in the last 3 years
- 3 or more minor convictions in the last 3 years
- 1 or more major/criminal convictions in the last 3 years
- 2 or more at-fault accidents in the last 5 years
- Principal driver licensed less than 5 years
- Occasional driver licensed less than 3 years and 1 or more at-fault accidents
- The value of your vehicle exceeds $65,000

Only 2 companies (both banks) could give me the lowest rates on a full coverage $2,000,000 Liab. Policy in TO.
I qualified for the best rate except for 1 or 2 minor discounts and no replacement vehicle.
Hopefully someone else in TO will post the CRAZY amounts that we pay.

Imagine losing $1,000 a year because you have a mismanaged or corrupt system. :x :x

·
Registered
422 Posts
My insurance just went DOWN quite a bit, scarily enough. I thought, this has gotta be a mistake, but I'm sure not gonna tell them! Must've just been based on market trends or whatever, because it's not anything that we changed at all. We've had the same coverage, same company for many years.

For a goodly amount of full coverage, albeit with a $500 deductible (based on the "is it easier to come up with $500 when and if you ever need to, or is it easier to pay X huge amount more per month for insurance" theory), my Rav alone is $660 per year.

For the same coverage and deductible, Ricky's 4Runner is $632 per year, so basically for a year of insurance for BOTH vehicles we pay $1,292. This includes only two drivers, ages 42 and 38, perfect records, and I have side airbag discount.

All in all, I've gotta say I think we get a decent deal.

I always laugh when I see that new commercial (State Farm maybe? Or Allstate?) that says "now your rates won't increase just because you have an accident". I always think, they d*mn well had better not! I've had claims over the years on virtually every car I've ever owned. TWO of my cars were TOTALED in the past. NONE of them was my fault. My insurance paid everything, subrogated those at fault so I even got my deductible back, and my rates have never once gone up due to an accident or making a claim. (Mind you they did go up a little the last time I got a speeding ticket years ago :twisted: , and they do vary with market trends and what car I'm driving.)

Becky

·
Registered
83 Posts
Here is the Swedish insurance rate for my RAV (funnily, the vehicle itself is insured here no matter who drives it ). I pay 240 Euro/ US dollar equivalent per half year. That makes it 480 Euro /US dollars per year. I have not had an accident so far in the last 20 years and the coverage is full. Low accident rates and low thefts have something to do with these insurance premiums, I guess.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
nouse4aname said:
Wife's 05 RAV is 342.75/6 months or $57/month.
Wow... that's it???!!! I'm paying $781 for 6 months, full coverage and all that good stuff, multidriver discounts (my whole family can drive my car and i can drive theirs), been driving for 3 years and so. At first, my insurance (with the same things i mentioned above) was for $1670 for 6 months!!! Well, it was cuz i got into an accident the first day i got my license :p.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
rav4_at said:
But he said the worst part is that its labeled sporty. Any vehicle regardless of what it is, whether it has 40 HP or 300, once it gets a label with sporty the cost goes up. I dont think that is the case but any excuse for an insurance company that works for them they will use so in my opinion so I can believe it :)
My insurance calls my car 4dr-wagon :?.... wagon??? what the heck! :evil:. On the plus side, i guess it makes it cheaper, i don't know :p

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
garfieldgurl said:
nouse4aname said:
Wife's 05 RAV is 342.75/6 months or $57/month.
Wow... that's it???!!! I'm paying $781 for 6 months, full coverage and all that good stuff, multidriver discounts (my whole family can drive my car and i can drive theirs), been driving for 3 years and so. At first, my insurance (with the same things i mentioned above) was for $1670 for 6 months!!! Well, it was cuz i got into an accident the first day i got my license :p.
Best things to do for your insurance...get married and get older heh.

And yeah SUVs, especially car based ones, are essentially tall station wagons.

D

·
0 Posts
My rav4 is $440 for 6 mounth collision, comprehensive, and liability, have $500 deductible, and $300,000 per occurrence also my wife is primary driver on it and she only 20 years old with clean record, the truck that I'm primary me is 23 years old with one ticket in past 3 years, 06 chevy express same coverge is $509 for six mouth, all together we pay $969 for six mouth and are discounts are $305 we are with allstate

S

·
0 Posts
Mine just went up to $1200, after smashing up my Lexus GS a year and a half ago(repair cost more than my rav) Before that it was 850, full coverage to 1 mill and 500 deductable

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Ironically, just got my ins bill today with pleasant surprise -
Only $261 for 6 months on new RAV 4, $308 for six months on '05 Subie Outback x 2 = $1,140 annually for two cars.

- $500k per each person
- $500k per each occurrence
- $100k property damage each occurrence
- Collision - actual cash value, $500 deductible
- Comprehensive - actual cash value, $50 deductible
- $50K Auto death idemnity for both me and spouse.
Applies to both vehicles

Was afraid V6 RAV was going to show considerable increase over former vehicle not so - only $6 semi annual increase.
Clean license for both drivers, (well) over 25.
Looks like the RAV is very insurable - cool! 8)

OC

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
OCInsomniac I need your Zip.... I am moving to NY :shock:

They don't have an Emotiicon to show how me crying when i have to pay my $2200 year for one 2002 LTD RAV. :?

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
OK... First, my policy overview: State Farm, one 37yo male driver, one vehicle, $250 deductible collision, comprehensive, liability ($300k), medical and uninsured motorist coverage.

My '01 RAV was $71.32 a month which works out to $855.84 for a year... The '06 (listed as a SPORT WG) jumped up to $1,032.50 annually -- not a huge difference at about $15 more a month, but I'm wondering what everyone else's changes were from their last vehicle?

OC -- That's some low cost numbers! Who's your carrier? :shock:

P.S. - Can someone move this thread to Off Topic so more people will see it?

·
Registered
25 Posts
My wife and I own four cars: '99 RAV 4 Softtop,'04 Solara Sle convertible, 1978 VW Beetle convertible and 1973 ElCamino. The premium for full coverage on all four is $1300 annually. The liability limits are 300000-500000. All but the El Camino have collision. I am 64 years old and get a geezer discount. You young bucks can eat your hearts out.

Cal

1 - 20 of 57 Posts