Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm sorry everyone...I have a lot more questions than answers on here. :( I've searched the forums and found mixed answers so I'd just like to know the hard facts.

I need to get a full ehaust syatem. For sure, I know I'd like a new muffler but apparently, if I replace the full exhaust system, I will notice a much bigger difference...so I think I'll go for it! :p

I've searched the internet for exhaust systems/mufflers for a '98 Rav and found jack sh*t...Does anyone know of anything made specifically for the Rav4?

Also, as far as an air intake goes...I've seens the K&N and the Secret weapon. Which one is better /which will work best for my Rav?

Here are a few other questions I have:

1) What would be a good set-up as far as brands go for:
a) headers
b) exhaust
c) muffler
d) air intake

2) If I replace the exhaust system and muffler, how important is it to get new headers?

3) Could anyone give me a list of parts / brands / links or anything?

I'm sorry that I ask for so much and give nothing back...I must be a pain in the rear for you guys... :doh:
Thanks for any help :lol:

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
I see you’re a new comer to the forum, Welcome BrownBoy. Your topic has been debated for quite some time. But I guess I’ll tell you what has worked for me. Pictures, well, look around and you will find a lot of pictures of my RAV4.
Some guys here have been creative enough to make some cool parts. Check with Derek and pancake also kidong, Moza and the king of power, Andrew. http://www.rav4oz.com

That said, here we go.

First of all, intake and exhaust go hand in hand. Once has to go with the other. Don't expect to feel more torque doing just one. The big advance in power comes in doing both of them. Pricey, well, it all depends what you want and how much you are willing to spend.

Header, you will use the Celica 86-89 Pacesetter header. Check Summit for a good price. Stock Number and information

Celica 86-89 2.0L/3SFE Pace Setter Part Number 70-1155. Check with Summit.

Intake, I think you have seen some discussion regarding Intake filters. Do the K&N, hands down. I've used them all and K&N give you the more bang for the buck.

Muffler, I used Magnaflow. Some others have used Dynomax, etc. But look at the size of the OEM muffler and look at the Magnaflow mufflers. You will also need a catalytic converter for CARB license. Check Summit also. This is my set up.

Regarding questions, don't worry BrownBoy.. I'm a school teacher, I get a ton a day. Hope this helps. :)

To check out my RAV4, click the link below to Cardomain.com.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I'm a teacher too, so questions are my job. :lol:

Anyways to answer a few of your questions:

1)
a) headers- Pacesetter is all that I can think of.

b & c) exhaust/muffler- HKS, that's what I got on my RAV and it is excellent! :thumbs_up: Other custom exhaust systems will work too, but will be a trial-and-error effort for sound and performance. HKS exhaust systems were tuned specifically for our RAVs.

d) intake- depends. From my ongoing research, the best intake is one that lets in less restrictive cool air. Be wary of short-ram intakes. Those are the ones that have the exposed air filter pod located inside the engine compartment. There will be no performance gains from having more hot air being sucked in.

Your best bet would be to find an intake system (or custom build one) that is able to enshroud the air filter and can get more cool air from outside of the engine bay. Check out my intake on my cardomain page below. Even with this set-up, the intake air will still get hot over time. What I have discovered is that the intake itself gets heated (heat soak) and the air rushing in gets just as hot. It just does not get as hot as fast as a short ram intake does. My next project is to find a way to insulate my custom intake to reflect heat as much as possible.

As for links, here is one to the HKS exhaust:
http://www.hksusa.com/info/?id=2484&rsku=0
It is made for a '96 - '97 RAV4, but any exhaust shop will be able to relocate the muffler hangers for it to fit our RAVs.

Maybe some of the other members here can help with info. on intake systems that works for them. I'm not too familiar with aftermarket intakes since I built my own from scratch. I did use a K&N air filter pod though, and can vouch for their quality! :thumbs_up:

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mensajero said:
Some guys here have been creative enough to make some cool parts.
Mmmmh…Not me, I’m about 99% car-illiterate.

mensajero said:
Can I trust them with my (my Dad’s) credit card number?

mensajero said:
Header, you will use the Celica 86-89 Pacesetter header. Check Summit for a good price.
I understand…but are you sure that Summit can be trusted with a credit card number? Also, how much of an improvement will I gain from this? Will it be very noticable? And why...is it because the pipes are thicker?

mensajero said:
Do the K&N, hands down. I've used them all and K&N give you the more bang for the buck.
Just what I was looking for! Thanks :D

mensajero said:
This is my set up.
Sorry, I've very anal when it comes to giving out my credit card number...I trust nobody! :twisted:
Thanks! That’s helpful for us less-intelligent car people! :D

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Derek said:
a) headers- Pacesetter is all that I can think of.
And where is the best place I can get this? Keep in mind I live in Manitoba, Canada. Also...how much of a performance gain will I get thorugh this? Is it a must?

Derek said:
HKS exhaust systems were tuned specifically for our RAVs.
Thanks! I wanted to find something that was made specifically for my car! Thanks a LOT! :D

Derek said:
intake- depends. From my ongoing research, the best intake is one that lets in less restrictive cool air. Be wary of short-ram intakes. Those are the ones that have the exposed air filter pod located inside the engine compartment. There will be no performance gains from having more hot air being sucked in.
So…If I buy the K&N filter and have it installed properly, it won’t make a difference in my car’s performance?

Derek said:
Your best bet would be to find an intake system (or custom build one)
Out of the question for me… :(

Derek said:
As for links, here is one to the HKS exhaust:
http://www.hksusa.com/info/?id=2484&rsku=0
It is made for a '96 - '97 RAV4, but any exhaust shop will be able to relocate the muffler hangers for it to fit our RAVs.
Thanks so much! You were very helpful!!!

So, we've settled the headers, muffler and the air intake. What about the exhaust system connecting the headers and muffler? Company? Price? Links?

P.S. Sorry for double-posting
P.P.S. Any other input is welcome! :D

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
BrownBoy said:
mensajero said:
Some guys here have been creative enough to make some cool parts.
Mmmmh…Not me, I’m about 99% car-illiterate.

mensajero said:
Can I trust them with my (my Dad’s) credit card number?

mensajero said:
Header, you will use the Celica 86-89 Pacesetter header. Check Summit for a good price.
I understand…but are you sure that Summit can be trusted with a credit card number? Also, how much of an improvement will I gain from this? Will it be very noticeable? And why...is it because the pipes are thicker?

mensajero said:
Do the K&N, hands down. I've used them all and K&N give you the more bang for the buck.
Just what I was looking for! Thanks :D

mensajero said:
This is my set up.
Sorry, I've very anal when it comes to giving out my credit card number...I trust nobody! :twisted:
Thanks! That’s helpful for us less-intelligent car people! :D
OK, Now a days CC trust is up to you. I've never bought something in Australia. But once I sent a Money Order to Andrew. It wasn't worth the paper it was written on. So don't send a MO. CC #, I've never worked with them either. The killer here are the shipping charges. :roll: It's your call.

Regarding Summit, I've bought Hundreds of dollars of equipment for my Nova, and now my RAV4, with a CC. With NO problems at all. They are professionals.

How much Horsepower? With a header about 8 HP, more torque and a cool sound. And most of all, better gas mileage. :thumbs_up: Which is a must now a days.

With an exhaust pipe, about 10 to 12 with a K&N funnel intake.

How does it do it? You just place your foot on the gas throttle, just place it there. You don't have to give it too much gas for it to move. You will feel the engine that breaths a lot better. More air, less gas, more power.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, I checked out the HKS outlet website and it says that they only ship to the muffler to the USA. So...unless anyone in the USA will buy it and ship it to me, I have no way of getting it. Would anyone be interested in helping me out? (I'd pay you first obviously :p)

Any suggestions about exhaust system? Pretend I'll be using a K&N intake, the HKS muffler and the Celica headers. Is there some unform size piping I'll have to keep the same throughout?

Will I need to add some parts to reduce noise or anything? (Resonater or etc.)

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
You will need a Resonator, Flex pipe, Catalytic Converter. Size of pipes should be 2.25 if you are just doing the. Turbo, you will need 2.5.

Regarding help, I'm NOT your man. I live in PR, and shipping will really add to the price.

:idea: Check here who lives closes to you and in the USA. http://www.frappr.com/rav4world . Then ask this member if he or she can help you? :idea:

You can see I have the exhaust straight from front to end. This helps the exhaust to empty out better. The straighter the better.

This one you can see the Flex Pipe [you will need it, trust me]

The Catalytic converter and remember the O2 sensor

Well, I have a K&N Filter for sale. Used but in excellent condition. I used it about three months.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Sorry about the shipping. :cry: I know how you feel. Living in Hawaii is similar. Most companies only ship to the Continental U.S.. Last time I checked, Hawaii was the 50th state of the union. :twisted:

Anyways, I believe when my HKS exhaust was won on ebay, they had free shipping to anywhere in the Cont. U.S.. So I had them ship it free to my brother in Iowa, and he had USPS mail it to me at a fairly reasonable rate.

As for trusting online companies with your CC #, that is a big gamble. I usually order from reputable companies; and try to do customer satisfaction searches. Therefore, bigger companies like Summit should be okay. I've ordered from Summit before and was very pleased with their courteous service and speed. :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
302 Posts
i have tried buying from summitracing.com and service is great....emails are answered right away and shipping is fast, too!!!! :wink:

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mensajero said:
Well, I have a K&N Filter for sale. Used but in excellent condition. I used it about three months
Does this come with abselutley everything I need to install it?
How much difference will there be between that filter and a brand new K&N filter?

·
Registered
200 Posts
From my limited experience, I can tell you that only installing a few parts here and there (a short ram intake, or cat-back exhaust) will only give you marginal gains if any (like a SRI sucking in hot engine bay air). Don't expect to get thrown back into your seat if you install an intake and a sport muffler. You will most likely have to do some more serious mods like a complete exhaust and intake upgrade before performance gains will be noticeable. So far, I've done a complete cold air intake (CAI) and a cat-back exhaust with hi-flow cat. The biggest difference I noticed: my RAV is significantly louder. But I can feel my RAV accelerating harder once the revs spool up to around 4000rpm. This will probably be increased once I can work up the cash for the header.

Just installing an intake, you will probably notice a louder sound coming from under the hood and maybe better throttle response (if it isn't sucking in hot engine bay air).

I must say, the folks on this forum are incredibly helpful and very knowledgeable. I came here a total novice knowing nothing about my car. I still don't know much, but I am learning a lot by reading on this forum.

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
BrownBoy said:
mensajero said:
Well, I have a K&N Filter for sale. Used but in excellent condition. I used it about three months
Does this come with abselutley everything I need to install it?
How much difference will there be between that filter and a brand new K&N filter?
You can see it here. It's just the K&N filter. But you can get the funnel tube on EBay. I got my tube for a buck [$1.00].

http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4010

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
J-san said:
i'll probably be increased once I can work up the cash for the header.
The Header is the key. Get cold air into the throttle body, and the header will get it out faster along with the exhaust pipe. A good spark, and you are in business. :thumbs_up:

Some advice; Check out any MR2 forum. These vehicles also brought the 3SFE engine. Some of these guys can also help with information, tricks and tips.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright thanks everyone...Here's what I have so far

Filter
(and hopefuly funnel tube) - from puerto rico's finest :lol:
Headers - From Summit (mentioned earlier)
Exhaust - Is there such thing as a kit so I don't have to buy all those parts seperatley?
Muffler - Possibly HKS...any other suggestions?

Any other input is greatly appreciated! Also, I'd like to say thanks for everyone's help on my project up to this point! You guys (and girls) are awesome! :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Don't forget a resonator (if the HKS needs one). Some mufflers will be crazy-loud if you don't use a resonator. I use a Magnaflow dual exit muffler (for a dualie like the photos above) and also use a 30" resonator to give my exhaust note a nice low rumble. Without it, my RAV sounds like a go-kart - all high pitched, buzzy, and suicidally loud.

I didn't have much luck with finding an exhaust kit for a '98 RAV. And most kits I've seen are only cat-back. You'd have to do your own custom work to fit the header to the rest of the kit. Also, don't forget the hi-flow catalytic converter.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
J-san said:
I didn't have much luck with finding an exhaust kit for a '98 RAV. And most kits I've seen are only cat-back. You'd have to do your own custom work to fit the header to the rest of the kit. Also, don't forget the hi-flow catalytic converter.
Another question from the noob:

What is "cat-back" and what is "hi flow" and all those terms. Again, I'm sorry I'm so dumb... :cry:

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Does the RAV4 have an exhaust kit like a "hot dog" with everything on it? Their was one from Brospeed. This was the RAV4.1 exhaust kit. But I think this kit is no longer available. Unless someone has one on the net. Or in their warehouses. You might have more luck on EBay :( . BTW, this is from the front of the exhaust manifold to the muffler.

Check here, but read carefully. http://www.drivewire.com/toyotaparts/catalog/toyotarav4muffler.html
http://www.wcperformance.com/brospeed exhaust prices.htm
http://www.maximumautoparts.com/TO_Exhaust~System~Kit_RAV--003_items.html
http://www.autopartsworld.com/1997_toyota_rav4-2wd-2-door_exhaust-system-kit_parts.html

Read and check with them.

"Cat-Back" refers to the parts of the exhaust system that go AFTER the Catalytic converter.

"Hi-flow" is a higher capacity of the exhaust system to extract exhaust gas [or fums] from the engine.

Even though it isn't a RAV4, this link has a lot of basic performance information
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/framed.htm?parent=question172.htm&url=http://www.se-r.net/car_info/engine_performance_tuning.html#Exhaust Systems

1 - 20 of 108 Posts