Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have confirmed my faulty knock sensor and will be digging in soon. My plan is to remove the intake and take advantage of having the back torn down to re do all vacuum lines, dry electrical, re-locate esv, throttle body clean, along with all new seals. Looking for any suggestions or tips before i proceed. Have not been able to find a write up on intake removal. I am mechanically inclined, with all needed tools and a few days if needed. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I guess I'm qualified having done this twice, you have the right idea, do everything while youre in there, I think ive mentioned before to do the injector seals too. Be careful with the injector wiring loom, age and heat have made it fragile.
You'll already have looked and seen that to get at the manifold you have to remove a lot of things first, don't try and leave things in place to save time, they will get in the way, sorry.
Once you have everything removed and the fuel rail off, injectors out etc then comes the hardest part, getting at the bolts that hold the manifold on, at least it was for me. Maybe, probably, you have a better selection of tools than me, I did struggle but I managed to do it, twice, i used sockets, extensions, wrenches etc., so it can be done. The hardest to get at are the bolts under the manifold.
Don't overtighten the new knock sensor when fitting it. I replaced mine trying to cure my hesitation, that was the second time I had the manifold off, it didn't cure it and I wish I could refit the original knock sensor, the engine isn't quite as smooth now.
If I can think of anything else I'll get back to you, good luck, you'll do it in a day.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I was just thinking about other seals i might be missing last night... only had intake, TB, and IAC. Injector seals and insulators are ordered! they were kind of expensive at Toyota even with my dealer discount. Thanks again!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Did they tell you the insulators have changed shape from the originals, I was thinking they sent me the wrong ones but apparently not. Just thought i'd mention it in case you think the same when you see them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They did not mention this and thanks again for the heads up. By the way may I ask why you have done this repair twice?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Sure, ever since I've had the car it has hesitated from about 1900 to 2500 rpm, I had worked through all of the obvious things and then a friend with the same problem on his RAV said he had read that there had been issues with the inlet manifold gasket leaking. I tried the usual test 'spray carb cleaner around the gasket' and see if the revs pick up, that didn't achieve anything. I found out that the gaskets were inexpensive and decided to change it anyway.
You'll notice there is quite a bit of leverage on the manifold so it's hardly surprising some did leak, changing mine made no difference to my hesitation but it was easier to clean inside off the car.
If only I had thought about the knock sensor at the same time then I wouldn't have needed to do it again. You have the right idea, do it all at the same time.
Have a good look down at the steering rack too, I've not had any problems on mine but I have seen several posts about leaks. Hopefully yours is ok.
Your going to wonder 'why' when you get to the vsv, why they ever put it there. There's no logic, I mounted mine next to the other two vsv's (for the diff lock) on the firewall, it's much neater and simple to get at.
I can't think of anything else you can do, good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have finally begun the repair! Just a hobby mechanic so i am 7 hours in and only have the intake off. Broke a sensor located at bottom of the intake that i am assuming is the sensor I was recommended to relocate to top. Have most of the wiring harness re-wrapped and cleaned up along with vacuum lines. was surprised to find a lot of the vacuum lines and hoses still soft and without cracks so i am leaving some alone. Decided to replace heater core hoses along with hose from steering fluid reservoir to rack. Need to get all new bolts and nuts because they seem warn from my craftsman sockets or this intake has already been off before. That being said my sensor may have been fine but the wire is cut and butt connected at another spot. I have found a loose black wire but my knock sensor wire is blue... also found a small ground wire point missing a wire on the intake so no exactly sure which is which but will search for a wiring diagram or post a picture later. I also found a blocked line at the bottom of the throttle body and another on the intake. i will make a new post for this to see if anyone is aware of this. Thanks for reading and thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
would be nice for someone to tell me putting it back together will be easier than taking off but I do not believe the TOYOTA GODS will allow this for neglecting this repair for so long. Inspections is 4 months out ><

1 - 8 of 8 Posts