Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found a way of utilizing the front "birds eye view camera" on a 2017 to feed a video recorder? In other words using the existing RAV camera system as a dash camera. If so details would be appreciated as I would prefer this approaching than having a dash camera. Thanks.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Another issue, the existing cams are analog. You will significantly lose quality.
You will end up with wasting your time and the result will be awful.
If the cams were HD digital, it will be very difficult to tap into digital circuit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Has anyone found a way of utilizing the front "birds eye view camera" on a 2017 to feed a video recorder? In other words using the existing RAV camera system as a dash camera. If so details would be appreciated as I would prefer this approaching than having a dash camera. Thanks.
Are you talking about the lane departure camera that's on the windshield?

If so, I've thought about the same thing. I think it's doable, but may be very, very difficult to do.

Here's what I know so far:
According to the wiring diagrams from Toyota TechInfo, the video feed doesn't leave the camera module that's mounted on the windshield.
It just has power, ground, and CAN bus lines. (Replace the [DOT] with a ., stupid post restrictions prevent me from posting images or urls directly.)
files.catbox[DOT]moe/gou227.png

I confirmed this today by opening up the module.
files.catbox[DOT]moe/45c3gf.jpg
files.catbox[DOT]moe/mzas3y.jpg

That large Toshiba chip is what does all the video processing. Here is the datasheet for it: toshiba.semicon-storage[DOT]com/info/docget.jsp?did=14997&prodName=TMPV7506XBG
In that datasheet I can see that it has video output as well. I do not know if those lines are connected, but I suspect there must be some video out lines on that main connector. It's a 12 pin connector and the cable that connects it to the car is only using 6 of them. I suspect that somewhere in the other 6 pins is video output. I suspect they would utilize that to make sure it's aimed correctly and to do any calibrations.

However, the effort probably isn't worth it. From the datasheet, the video output only supports:
WVGA (800 × 480 pixels): 60 fps or
SXGA (1280 × 1024): 30 fps for debugging

But, if it outputs the detection layer, it still might be cool to see it.

·
Registered
644 Posts
The dashcams today have some advanced features, you may not find in regular cameras like
- Auto power on, off.
- Impact sensor. It will preserve video.
- Parking sensor. In case car got hit while parked.
- Infrared for night vision.
- GPS.
- Mic mute.
A alot more.
You will not find a recorder with the same features.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The dashcams today have some advanced features, you may not find in regular cameras like
- Auto power on, off.
- Impact sensor. It will preserve video.
- Parking sensor. In case car got hit while parked.
- Infrared for night vision.
- GPS.
- Mic mute.
A alot more.
You will not find a recorder with the same features.
Indeed. I already have a 1080p dashcam from Vantrue that I'm happy with. For me, this is more about if this is doable... just because. :)

·
Registered
644 Posts
Another benefit of a standalone dashcam - you can remove it to film the evidence in case of accident or talking to the cops.
Also the dashacam, compared to the front mounted integrated cam, will not get dirty.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'd leave the 2 systems separate. Dashcams are relatively cheap and easy to replace. Then there's warranty issues.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've been using this dash cam TaoTronics Amazon Dash CAM for awhile and happy with the price and the result. I've ended up purchasing 4 more for the other family car. Coming from Asia where dash cam is very common and must, their dash cams are really hi-tech. I've found some here in the States but then the price was way up high. This Taotronics one does its job, auto on/off, G-sensor and all that good stuff for its price. I've also purchased separate accessories such as rear-view mirror dash cam mount & and this Power Magic Pro which constantly feeds power to the dash cam so it runs 24/7 and it also has the auto power cut-off in case your battery runs low.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I've been using this dash cam TaoTronics Amazon Dash CAM for awhile and happy with the price and the result. I've ended up purchasing 4 more for the other family car. Coming from Asia where dash cam is very common and must, their dash cams are really hi-tech. I've found some here in the States but then the price was way up high. This Taotronics one does its job, auto on/off, G-sensor and all that good stuff for its price. I've also purchased separate accessories such as rear-view mirror dash cam mount & and this Power Magic Pro which constantly feeds power to the dash cam so it runs 24/7 and it also has the auto power cut-off in case your battery runs low.

Rich, do you have pics your set-up and how you have it installed? I am planning to get a dash cam also and quite interested in getting a dash cam mirror mount.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Rich, do you have pics your set-up and how you have it installed? I am planning to get a dash cam also and quite interested in getting a dash cam mirror mount.
Mirror mount camera is OK if you're the only driver.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My setup

The mirror mount kit comes with different mounts for different dash cams. So it attaches to the neck of the rear view mirror & my dash cam can be easily mounted and un-mounted since it has a tab on the dash cam. So if I want to hid it, I can just undo the power cable and take off the dash cam and store it. But since I have my dash cam run 24/7 I just leave it mounted.

Mirror mount camera is OK if you're the only driver.
What do you mean if you're the only driver? It's mounted on the center which the passenger has an easy access to.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Rich, which mirror mount did you get and which wire did you tap into to power the dash cam?

Any pics of the rear view dash cam?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I put the link to my dashcam / mount / power magic pro thing on the previous #14 of this post! you just need to scroll up a bit :)

I recently changed my dash cam to this one which only has the front dash cam. I put my 2 channel front/rear dash cam on my other ride because that car needs more attention LOL

I'm running the Constant Power wire to the Dome Light, OFF power to the sun roof and grounded to the big bolt thingy under the driver side floor mat.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have always wondered why the car manufactures just don't build the camera right into the rear view mirror or whereever. Seems like a natural option. I don't like the homemade look of the current crop of dash cams.. I wonder if any manufacture has them as an option. Seems like another opportunity for someone is to build it all into the mirror as an after market device.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts