Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May be useful for those still undecided, interesting discussion of interior sounds and actual gas mileage in different conditions:

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
Europeans have the advantage of a diesel RAV being available, denied to North Americans. If the only criterion is fuel mileage it's basically and apparently a wash between the hybrid (driven somewhat carefully) and the diesel models, except in some countries where diesel is less expensive than gasoline. Otherwise in general according to the review the hybrid wins on performance and the diesel wins regarding cargo room.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
I have to disagree with his fuel economy assessment, I get at least the EPA figures and better more often than not.

Anyone notice the original type tonneau cover(same as in the 4.3) with the front section that attaches to the headrest posts?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Driving lots of highway since I got my RAV over 6000 miles and still averaging 35.3 miles per gallon US. Interesting enough all of the things that do not bother me seems to bother the reviewer:roll:

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
I have to disagree with his fuel economy assessment, I get at least the EPA figures and better more often than not.

One needs to remember that this is a European review and Toyota's fuel economy claims there have nothing to do with EPA figures, but instead are according to European standards.

·
Registered
107 Posts
He reminds me of other EU reviewers who don't like Toyota. They nit-pick Toyotas and ignore similar flaws in VWs.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I lived in the UK for nine years during the 90's. European auto reviewers consistently favor European built cars...Including US owned brands like Ford, Vauxhall, and Opel, over Japanese ones. For some reason, they appear to value reliability much lower than Americans. One theory I have is they generally drive far fewer miles per year, and rarely go over 100k miles before changing vehicles.

Obviously, a huge part of operating a car in Europe is the much higher cost of fuel and vehicle taxes. Driving and parking is often a huge hassle when coping with town and city centers compared with what North Americans generally experience. Europeans highly value fuel economy, emissions, sportiness/road handling, and ease of parking. Because Americans drive many more miles annually, they value reliability, safety, ride comfort/roominess, and convenience features.

Toyota markets the RAV4 much differently in Europe and offer different models and configurations other than the North American LE, XLE, SE, Limited, and Hybrid. In the UK they sell an Active, Business Edition, Business Edition Plus, Icon, and Excel (w/ Hybrid versions of all but the Active).

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
He reminds me of other EU reviewers who don't like Toyota. They nit-pick Toyotas and ignore similar flaws in VWs.

The review appeared to be balanced and objective. He noted what he liked and didn't care for so much. I lived in Europe and Euro reviewers couldn't be classed generally as being anti-Toyota. The review seemed to be objective and wasn't a Toyota advert-promo and it wasn't supposed to be.

I add that I bought a Toyota Corolla while in Europe and the reviews were spot on.

Reactions: internalaudit

·
Registered
25 Posts
The gas milage review at 3:07 in the video states an expectation of 4-5 liters per 100km that the vehicle can not obtain. This translates to about 53 miles per gallon or 58 mpg UK standard. Despite the narrators confident voice tone, his facts are dubious and opinions are subjective.

Here is the L/1ookm to MPG converter Convert Miles Per Gallon (UK) to Liters per 100 Kilometers

I'm picking up my Rav4 Hybrid Limited today. 8)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Over here in Europe, Toyota claims that the Rav4 hybrid 2wd uses an average of 1 liter per 20 kilometer. That's about 58 miles per gallon. No one can get that mileage in his Rav4 hybrid, so that is what the journalists complain about at Toyota. They forget that all car manufacturers claim the wrong mileage for their cars, but Toyota was the first with an economical hybrid in 1999, so they always pick on Toyota for that.
Also, a car which is not gear-shifted by hand, is supposed to be for old people. It's not sporty enough. With the cvt transmission of the toyota hybrids, the engine revs to the max right away, so they also pick on that.
Especially in Holland, they are very fond of Volkswagen and all the other German brands. The journalists grab every possibility to line up a German car with a Toyota, so they can tell what is good about the German and what is bad about the Toyota. The European Toyota drivers are almosed used to that.
It is true that we probably don't drive as much as you do in the states. Luckily the distances are much smaller, because the prices for gas aren't as low as in the states. 1 liter costs about €1,70 and that's something like $7,20 per gallon. Then we have road tax and toll. So, people look mostly for smaller, more economical cars. Less weight means less road tax, (normaly) less fuel consuption and easier parking, because the few parking places we have here, at a shopping for example, are also very tiny. There aren't many cars that are larger then the Rav4, usually smaller.
Then we have 2 types of taxes when we buy a car: 'normal' tax and a tax based on the basic price of a car and the co2 emissions. This means that my Rav4 hybrid First Edition basicly costs €28.000 ($31.300), but with all the taxes it costs around €40.000 ($44.700).
The First Edition is a basic model with added led lights and electric tailgate. The most expensive one is called awd executive business and you will have to pay about €50.000 ($56.000) if you want to take it from the dealer.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Actually I have a brand new hybrid awd and on my commute which is 40km i have seen 0.49, 0.50, 0.52, 0.53 based on "since started" fuel computer. Tank is only at 1/2 empty and I logged 480kms on the B trip computer. Whole tank computer sits at 0.54. I never went faster than 110 though. So far this car well exceeds my expectations.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
That's pretty good. 480km is 300 miles. If you actually burned a half thank that's 7.5 gallons which gives 40mpg or about 5.9 liters / 100km.

·
Registered
422 Posts
That's pretty good. 480km is 300 miles. If you actually burned a half thank that's 7.5 gallons which gives 40mpg or about 5.9 liters / 100km.

I will write down the figures when i fuel up my second tank. Iam not to sure if the needle is very accurate. How exact is the computer avg in percent usually?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I will write down the figures when i fuel up my second tank. Iam not to sure if the needle is very accurate. How exact is the computer avg in percent usually?

When I check it against actual miles and gallons, it's pretty close.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Håller med newbeecolo använd Fuelly Torque.
Concur with newbeecolo use Fuelly Torque.

·
Registered
422 Posts

Do I have 25% gas left or more or less? :)

Was hoping for 900kms :)

Range left said 220kms

1 - 20 of 25 Posts