Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just received my Saris Triple Track Interior Bike Rack from Nashbar. I uploaded a small picture in my album if any cyclists want to check it out. The design of the rack allows you to position the fork mounts diagonally, as well as stagger them, to allow bikes with long bars to still fit. Just make sure your bikes aren't too tall to fit upright before you spend your money! My xc bike only has about an inch or two of vertical clearance.

Anyhow, I wanted to share another way to store your bikes in our RAV4s. I'm probably going to rest the rear wheels on the rear all-weather floormats. The entire system costed about $85 bucks with fork mounts, using a 10% Nashbar online coupon.

Lance

/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=1158

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mounting the forks diagonally is nice, as you can get the bikes very close together.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lance said:
Hi all,

I just received my Saris Triple Track Interior Bike Rack from Nashbar. I uploaded a small picture in my album if any cyclists want to check it out. The design of the rack allows you to position the fork mounts diagonally, as well as stagger them, to allow bikes with long bars to still fit. Just make sure your bikes aren't too tall to fit upright before you spend your money! My xc bike only has about an inch or two of vertical clearance.

Anyhow, I wanted to share another way to store your bikes in our RAV4s. I'm probably going to rest the rear wheels on the rear all-weather floormats. The entire system costed about $85 bucks with fork mounts, using a 10% Nashbar online coupon.

Lance
Excellent idea! I have been looking for an inexpensive solution to putting two bikes (18" and 20") inside my 2008 RAV4 V6. Lance, can you fit two bikes close enough with only one seat folded down using the fork mounts diagonally?

·
Registered
484 Posts
schaudhary said:
Excellent idea! I have been looking for an inexpensive solution to putting two bikes (18" and 20") inside my 2008 RAV4 V6. Lance, can you fit two bikes close enough with only one seat folded down using the fork mounts diagonally?
I take the less sophisticated way and just fit them in and bungee them to the passenger door handle and the rear tie downs. I can get 3 full sus mtn bikes (2x 17" and 1x 20") inside with myself and 2 passengers. Obviously have to take the front wheels out and drop the saddle on the 20". Alternate the way round and they all go in pretty easily and is very stable once bungeed to the door and tie-down. I have an old shower curtain that I throw in first.

Record contents was 2 road bikes, 2 mtn bikes and a cross bike, plus camping gear plus 1 passenger. No need to bungee anything down on that trip.

The inside carrying capacity is the main reason I bought the RAV - I took my bikes to several dealerships to determine what vehicles were/were not suitable.

FWIW, 2 road bikes go in laid down, one on top of the other with a heavy blanket between them. Don't even have to take the wheels off. I travel to races with a colleague at least once a week like this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts