Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 2-Dr. Regarding the interior dome light: Opening the back door or flipping the switch will turn it on but neither front door will trigger it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
731 Posts
The light on the rear hatch on my wife's 2010 only comes on with the rear door open or the switch on the light flipped on.

·
Registered
140 Posts
check the switch covered by rubber right by the door jamb where it is not working. Remove the plastic trim to access the back of the switch and locate if the wire got loose from its connection to the switch.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have the same problem on my '97 2door... The center light turns on when I open the rear door, or when I manually switch it on. However, opening the front doors only lights up the red light on the dash but none of the interior lights. The map also do not light up when manually activated.

I did a little bit of diagnostic:

- my map bulbs were OK
- there NO electricity to the entire map light panel
- all my fuses are OK
- door switches work, as warning red light on dash go on.

I am running out of ideas...

What should light up when you open front doors? Or RAV4 was like that when we got it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Having a parts car, has its advantages! This weekend, I dug into the parts car harness and traced the source of the front dome/map light (most bottom left connector on the DS kick-panel electrical block), just to find out that it had voltage at that location. So I re-tested the actual dome light assembly, this time focusing on ground contiguity and sure enough, it wasn't there! The fault was in ground circuit inside the light switch! So, when I checked for voltage (using that ground, since it is convenient), it give me an appearance of no voltage. So, I plugged in spare light assembly and problem is solved! Such a simple solution, within capability of just about anyone with a flat and a Philips head screw drivers (you need a flat head to pop out the light and to push on the electrical connector).

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
17,330 Posts
Yes, having a parts car can be very handy. But most of us have no place to store one. Where do you keep your parts car?

·
Registered
159 Posts
For now, it is staying in my driveway. My wife has been tolerant because Rav4 is "hers" and I keep fixing thing in "her car" using these spare parts. But... this can't go on for much longer... I have stripped about 70% of parts off the car, while still keeping it "drivable", but I will soon have to remove the motor/tranny/rear end, I which point, I will only have days to keep it :(.

I would LOVE to have the space for my own private junk yard! But that isn't happening any time soon :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
interior dome light

Hi Friends, I have a similar problem with my 1998 2 dr Rav4 's interior dome light...That is, when the light unit is switch to the "door" location, the front doors nor the rear door whichever one is open will not turn interior dome light on, only when i switch it to the "on" location does it turn on regardless if the doors are open or not . However, the dashboard will tells me when any of the three doors are open...so that sensor is working ...do you think it just needs a new interior dome light unit? thanks very much!!!

·
Premium Member
'99 RAV4.1, '06 Yamaha Rhino 660 UTV, '96 Newmar Mountain Aire 40' Diesel Pusher Class A Motor Home
2,502 Posts
Hi Friends, I have a similar problem with my 1998 2 dr Rav4 's interior dome light...That is, when the light unit is switch to the "door" location, the front doors nor the rear door whichever one is open will not turn interior dome light on, only when i switch it to the "on" location does it turn on regardless if the doors are open or not . However, the dashboard will tells me when any of the three doors are open...so that sensor is working ...do you think it just needs a new interior dome light unit? thanks very much!!!
If you you want, I have a front dome light I will sell you that I know worked properly when I removed it, just pm me and we can discuss it. I replaced mine, see https://www.rav4world.com/forums/94-4-1-d-i-y-modifications/290073-total-interior-remake.html

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi there, sorry but just for my understanding, this interior dome light we are talking about is located in the center of the roof and is not the light unit that is near the rear view mirror, yes??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sounds like the issue when I replaced my interior some light. As long as the wiring is correct, that is what should fix problem
Ok thank you I will indeed check the wiring for all three doors...if that is fine, it may be the interior overhead dome light unit located in the middle of the car roof that is defective even though the light goes on when the light switch is moved to the "on" location from the 'door" location.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks very much. I am also having difficulties in location a soft top...I will even take just the quarter windows!!! May have to go to a Marine Upholstery Repair shop to sew on new Velcro, zippers and clear plastic windows...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.