Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone willing to test drive these "Light Inner Door Handle Bowls Mood Lighting".

These are blue but apparently they are working on a white version

·
Registered
196 Posts
Anyone willing to test drive these "Light Inner Door Handle Bowls Mood Lighting".

I'm mildly concerned that they slapped a new product "option" onto another already existing product for the overhead map lights. None of the reviews pertain to the door handle LEDs.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm mildly concerned that they slapped a new product "option" onto another already existing product for the overhead map lights. None of the reviews pertain to the door handle LEDs.
Yep, I noticed that as well.

So it appears that they tap into the power for the windows. The windows don't have power in accessory mode so these lights will not be on when you are exiting the vehicle. Oh wait, that's not entirely true. There is power to the windows until someone opens a door or a timer expires. Normally, someone opens a door. I would prefer them to be tied to lights powered by the headlight controls but since all 4 doors do not have this kind of power, I guess the power for the windows is the only option. The next concern would be fit and finish of these "cups" behind the door lever.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yep, I noticed that as well.

So it appears that they tap into the power for the windows. The windows don't have power in accessory mode so these lights will not be on when you are exiting the vehicle. Oh wait, that's not entirely true. There is power to the windows until someone opens a door or a timer expires. Normally, someone opens a door. I would prefer them to be tied to lights powered by the headlight controls but since all 4 doors do not have this kind of power, I guess the power for the windows is the only option. The next concern would be fit and finish of these "cups" behind the door lever.
Similarly to the whole window switch illumination project - if you have the weather package with rear heated seats, the rear LEDs could tap into the illumination supply for the heated seat buttons since those are illuminated. The front driver could tap into the illumination circuit for the driver window control module. That leaves out the front passenger, but if the leads are long enough you could follow the suggestion to tap into the storage tray illumination.

Quick edit: by tap I mean splice into. The adapter kits that come with the product won't work as I'm suggesting.

·
Registered
273 Posts
The original product is available on amazon.jp website (apparently by people who made this product in the first place). A lot more expensive than the $30 here.
Video of a guy installing it.
I am thinking of buying (from the jp website).

·
Registered
30 Posts

I gave them a try. They are actually quite good. The fit is OEM. It comes with everything you need.

There is one thing to keep in mind. If you did the Side Mirror Switch mod (in the other thread), the driver side LED door light plugs into that harness. But the included harness in the kit doesn't account for the LED in the Side Mirror Switch.
See this vid.

So in order to keep the Side Mirror Switch illumination working, you'll need to make some modification to the harness in that you'll need to add 2 wires to the pin out.

After that, it works like this.

Because the driver side door LED is tapped into the Side Mirror Harness, the driver side LED turns on when ACC or Ignition On. Whereas, the passenger door LEDS are tapped into the power mirror switch and thus only come on when Ignition On (not with ACC because no power to mirrors when ACC).

Just an added suggestion. Get some cloth tape like this (got it from Amazon) to wrap the wires and harness so they don't rattle around in the door.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Damn. I should have ordered from US amazon for its much cheaper price. I ordered from amazon.jp and cost me almost double. Haven’t even received the product yet as it’s coming from China. :/

I gave them a try. They are actually quite good. The fit is OEM. It comes with everything you need.
View attachment 149942

There is one thing to keep in mind. If you did the Side Mirror Switch mod (in the other thread), the driver side LED door light plugs into that harness. But the included harness in the kit doesn't account for the LED in the Side Mirror Switch.
See this vid.

So in order to keep the Side Mirror Switch illumination working, you'll need to make some modification to the harness in that you'll need to add 2 wires to the pin out.
View attachment 149943

View attachment 149944
Because the driver side door LED is tapped into the Side Mirror Harness, the driver side LED turns on when ACC or Ignition On. Whereas, the passenger door LEDS are tapped into the power mirror switch and thus only come on when Ignition On (not with ACC because no power to mirrors when ACC).

Just an added suggestion. Get some cloth tape like this (got it from Amazon) to wrap the wires and harness so they don't rattle around in the door.
View attachment 149945

·
Registered
273 Posts
View attachment 149942

See this vid.

View attachment 149943

View attachment 149944

View attachment 149945
Can you please tell me where you got this extra wiring from to plug in to the missing harness pins?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Can you please tell me where you got this extra wiring from to plug in to the missing harness pins?
I scavenged them from some other harnesses I had laying around from other projects. The tricky part is if you've never played around with wire harnesses before is how to "depin" or remove the pins from the harness block, but there are many youtube vids that show how to do it.

For this mod, you'll need the right size male and female ends that will fit into the connector block.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I scavenged them from some other harnesses I had laying around from other projects. The tricky part is if you've never played around with wire harnesses before is how to "depin" or remove the pins from the harness block, but there are many youtube vids that show how to do it.

For this mod, you'll need the right size male and female ends that will fit into the connector block.
Thanks. Something like this?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Installed and drivers door light did not work, apparently the LE model has different wiring. Had to move the ground wire in the adapter plug from the top right hole to the 3rd from right on bottom (looking from behind)

·
Registered
336 Posts
I did not do the side mirror lighting modification. All other three doors work great except the driver's door. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
while I was doing the handle I decided to add the lower door area light too ?..little by little we will make these turds look like something
@Dirt23: What did you use for the bottom bucket LED? I am assuming you spliced into the door cup harness to supply power? And is the light "bright" or is it like the other parts of interior lighting OEM from Toyota. I know you have an LE but am not sure what lights may/may not be included.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts