Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Yea tapped into the handle led wires, I got the 5mm and it's a little bright maybe try the 3mm I'm just trying this 1 out but it's not as bright as the picture makes it look
Yeah I figured there would be some exposure issues. Ill give the 3mm a try. Thanks for the information! :)

Was there already a gap you could take advantage of or did you drill a mount hole or..?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Used a drill bit by hand from the bottom to make a tiny hole then regular size from top down, its paper thin there anyway. The lights I ordered come with a bezel so just snapped it in! Worst case if too bright I might put a piece of tape or transparent vinyl to dim it some..would have been nice if everything was tapped into the factory dimmer switch but I didn't have time to trace that out lol

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
would have been nice if everything was tapped into the factory dimmer switch but I didn't have time to trace that out lol
Perfect.

I am thinking about doing this. I am trying to line up all my "door" work for one crack at it. This is external to the door card but if I can find and map the dimmer stuff through the doors I would like to do that. Heck, the OEM LEDs with harness are like 3 or 4 bucks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The lit window switch dims with the dash switch so you could hypothetically tap into that but that would only dim the drivers door.find the radio light wire and jump off it to the passenger door if you wanted. Add footwell lights and storage tray while you are in there lol

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
The lit window switch dims with the dash switch so you could hypothetically tap into that but that would only dim the drivers door.find the radio light wire and jump off it to the passenger door if you wanted. Add footwell lights and storage tray while you are in there lol
I have a Limited so I already have those lights. :) But I am looking to further upscale it a bit while adding functionality. Does the steering wheel buttons light up factory or have you tinkered in there too? :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ordered from Amazon US and installed on a ‘19 Rav4 Adventure. Ran into the same pinning issue on the driver’s door installation but resolved following Dirt23’s guidance. Took about 15 minutes to install. Very pleased with the outcome.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Btw the drivers side will dim with the dash dimmer switch but not the others
Was hoping at least the driver’s side would dim. I like to dial the intensity to taste on long trips. Might be worthwhile to wire all the same way.

·
Registered
271 Posts
So I got this and rearranged the wires in the product harness (both male and female ends) to match the OEM harness and by doing so the door handle light works but the outer mirror control LED stops working. Anyone has any idea what I’m doing wrong? Pic attached. The top is the door handle led harness and bottom is the OEM harness. Also unlike @wliu harness, my harness has many wires missing, even though I have the limited trim..

·
Registered
59 Posts
So I got this and rearranged the wires in the product harness (both male and female ends) to match the OEM harness and by doing so the door handle light works but the outer mirror control LED stops working. Anyone has any idea what I’m doing wrong? Pic attached. The top is the door handle led harness and bottom is the OEM harness. Also unlike @wliu harness, my harness has many wires missing, even though I have the limited trim.. View attachment 150713
Maybe @wilu could point you in the right direction or just use a led test light and find power and ground wires with key on/lights on

·
Registered
271 Posts
Maybe @wilu could point you in the right direction or just use a led test light and find power and ground wires with key on/lights on
Thanks! Can you confirm two things (three actually):
1. Did you use the side mirror LED switch mod?
2. If yes to 1, were you able to get both LED switch and door handle LED working?
3. Did your OEM harness (that supplies to the mirror switch) have 9 pins (as in my case) or 12 pins (as in @wliu 's case)?
Thank you.

·
Registered
271 Posts
What I also don't understand is if the pin placement in OEM and handle harness is same, why would tapping into the illumination pins lead to switch LED to stop working?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yea tapped into the handle led wires, I got the 5mm and it's a little bright maybe try the 3mm I'm just trying this 1 out but it's not as bright as the picture makes it look
Are you familiar with the footwell / console tray light thread? Do you think these lights can work similarly by tapping in the connectors? This would be like $5 vs the $45 for OEM. Does the shade of blue match with OEM blue from the rest of the car (steering/climate control/etc)

·
Registered
28 Posts
So I got this and rearranged the wires in the product harness (both male and female ends) to match the OEM harness and by doing so the door handle light works but the outer mirror control LED stops working. Anyone has any idea what I’m doing wrong? Pic attached. The top is the door handle led harness and bottom is the OEM harness. Also unlike @wliu harness, my harness has many wires missing, even though I have the limited trim.. View attachment 150713
That is puzzling. I have a 2019 RAV4 Limited AWD (built in Japan), with all the packages (winter package, tech package). My side mirror harness doesn't look like yours and I don't know why that would be. I didn't do anything to the original OEM side mirror harness. When I did the side mirror switch illumination mod, it worked fine. When I did the car door handle LED mod, I noticed the harness that the kit came with was "missing" 2 wires, so I added the 2 wires to that harness to make it look identical to the OEM harness. After that, everything was working.

·
Registered
271 Posts
That is puzzling. I have a 2019 RAV4 Limited AWD (built in Japan), with all the packages (winter package, tech package). My side mirror harness doesn't look like yours and I don't know why that would be. I didn't do anything to the original OEM side mirror harness. When I did the side mirror switch illumination mod, it worked fine. When I did the car door handle LED mod, I noticed the harness that the kit came with was "missing" 2 wires, so I added the 2 wires to that harness to make it look identical to the OEM harness. After that, everything was working.
View attachment 150735
Ah. Your car was manufactured in Japan so it comes with the harness that will support auto-folding mirrors. Mine was Canada manufactured. But in any case, even if mine harness has 9 wires (rather than 12 as in your case), the mirror switch is illuminated when I use the OEM harness. However when the OEM illumination wires are split/tapped by the door handle light, the mirror switch illumination stops working - the switch works but is no longer illuminated.

PS; I hope you are doing fine in the coronavirus outbreak.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ah. Your car was manufactured in Japan so it comes with the harness that will support auto-folding mirrors. Mine was Canada manufactured. But in any case, even if mine harness has 9 wires (rather than 12 as in your case), the mirror switch is illuminated when I use the OEM harness. However when the OEM illumination wires are split/tapped by the door handle light, the mirror switch illumination stops working - the switch works but is no longer illuminated.

PS; I hope you are doing fine in the coronavirus outbreak.
That is weird. The car door handle LED harness you got only has 9 wires? I ask because looking at Dirt23, myang001 and mine, the harness kit came with 10 wires. However, I'm puzzled as to why if you connect the OEM harness to the mirror switch that the mirror switch illuminates but if you use the car door LED harness that mirror switch doesn't illuminate, especially if you position the wires of the LED harness to match exactly to the OEM harness.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts