Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
That is weird. The car door handle LED harness you got only has 9 wires? I ask because looking at Dirt23, myang001 and mine, the harness kit came with 10 wires. However, I'm puzzled as to why if you connect the OEM harness to the mirror switch that the mirror switch illuminates but if you use the car door LED harness that mirror switch doesn't illuminate, especially if you position the wires of the LED harness to match exactly to the OEM harness.

View attachment 150785
It looks like even in this YouTube video that I referenced in post#7, that car door LED kit harness has 10 wires. In his case, he couldn't get the mirror switch to illuminate after installing the car door LED harness and that's where I deduced that I needed to add the 2 missing wires to my harness kit to match the OEM harness. Is your LED kit different?

·
Registered
273 Posts
It looks like even in this YouTube video that I referenced in post#7, that car door LED kit harness has 10 wires. In his case, he couldn't get the mirror switch to illuminate after installing the car door LED harness and that's where I deduced that I needed to add the 2 missing wires to my harness kit to match the OEM harness. Is your LED kit different?

View attachment 150787
No, I am sorry - my LED kit had the same number of wires as you - 10 I believe.
However my OEM harness only has 9 wires so I adjusted the led harness wires to exactly match the OEM, because adding wires to handle harness will be pointless as they won’t connect to anything.
Somehow even after doing that, after I tap into the illumination pin of the OEM harness, the door handle led works but mirror switch illumination shuts down. If I disconnect the door led harness and directly connect the OEM harness to mirror switch the switch illuminates again. Idk what is going on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
No, I am sorry - my LED kit had the same number of wires as you - 10 I believe.
However my OEM harness only has 9 wires so I adjusted the led harness wires to exactly match the OEM, because adding wires to handle harness will be pointless as they won’t connect to anything.
Somehow even after doing that, after I tap into the illumination pin of the OEM harness, the door handle led works but mirror switch illumination shuts down. If I disconnect the door led harness and directly connect the OEM harness to mirror switch the switch illuminates again. Idk what is going on.
Could you post a picture of both ends the car LED harness (something like this)? I'm curious what it looks like. Did you check that you have good electrical continuity from one end of the harness to the other end harness and that none of the pins got bent or something? It's puzzling as the car LED harness is really just an extensions of the OEM harness wires.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Could you post a picture of both ends the car LED harness (something like this)? I'm curious what it looks like. Did you check that you have good electrical continuity from one end of the harness to the other end harness and that none of the pins got bent or something? It's puzzling as the car LED harness is really just an extensions of the OEM harness wires.

View attachment 150791
See attached. There seems to be no connectivity problem because the switch works fine to operate the external mirrors but IDK.

·
Registered
30 Posts
See attached. There seems to be no connectivity problem because the switch works fine to operate the external mirrors but IDK. View attachment 150802
Looking at your OEM harness and the 2 ends of the car door LED harness you are showing, I think you need to move 1 of the wires (see photo). Both end of the car door LED harness needs to look identical to the OEM wiring layout. I think that is why when you use the OEM harness the mirror switch illuminates but when you plug the car LED harness into the mirror switch, the mirror switch doesn't illuminate because you need to move that wire in the upper left corner so that it matches the layout of the all the wires in the OEM harness.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Looking at your OEM harness and the 2 ends of the car door LED harness you are showing, I think you need to move 1 of the wires (see photo). Both end of the car door LED harness needs to look identical to the OEM wiring layout. I think that is why when you use the OEM harness the mirror switch illuminates but when you plug the car LED harness into the mirror switch, the mirror switch doesn't illuminate because you need to move that wire in the upper left corner so that it matches the layout of the all the wires in the OEM harness.

View attachment 150808
Yes, I did that when I installed it originally. It didn’t illuminate the switch led so I thought I should change it back to the original position and see if it works, but no dice!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes, I did that when I installed it originally. It didn’t illuminate the switch led so I thought I should change it back to the original position and see if it works, but no dice!
hmmm...I'm completely stump on this one. I might have to pull my mirror switch out and find which of the pin(s) are for the illumination.

·
Registered
273 Posts
hmmm...I'm completely stump on this one. I might have to pull my mirror switch out and find which of the pin(s) are for the illumination.
Thanks. If you do find out the illumination pin let me know and I’ll adjust the handle harness wiring to connect to that pin.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks. If you do find out the illumination pin let me know and I’ll adjust the handle harness wiring to connect to that pin.
So here are the pins I found on my mirror switch that will make it illuminate.

So I'm guessing on your OEM harness, it should be the same pins. If you have voltmeter, you should be able to check if there is 12V there between the 2 pins on the harness.

·
Registered
273 Posts
So here are the pins I found on my mirror switch that will make it illuminate.
View attachment 150814

So I'm guessing on your OEM harness, it should be the same pins. If you have voltmeter, you should be able to check if there is 12V there between the 2 pins on the harness.
View attachment 150815
Hey, so I was able to get this working finally! Both handle and switch are illuminated now. I adjusted the handle harness pins to line up with the GND and 12V pins as in your pic. Unlike before the handle led comes on when ignition is on now, but that doesn’t bother me much. Thanks a ton!!

·
Registered
2019 RAV4 Hybrid Cruiser AWD on 22”s
8 Posts
I had the blue kit installed by my mechanic. They said it was simple and the harnesses the kit came with just piggy backed off the window switch.
I don’t have any illumination in my mirror controls

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 RAV4 Hybrid Limited
9 Posts
I had the blue kit installed by my mechanic. They said it was simple and the harnesses the kit came with just piggy backed off the window switch.
I don’t have any illumination in my mirror controls
Are these the ones off Amazon from Japan?

·
Registered
2019 RAV4 Hybrid Cruiser AWD on 22”s
8 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
That's great to see it's working for you now. :)
Thanks, I don’t know what is different now - as I tried this same configuration before and I’m pretty sure it didn’t work earlier (maybe it was just a loose pin or something).

·
Registered
'19 Rav4 XLE Hybrid--Magnetic Gray Metallic
109 Posts
Anyone willing to test drive these "Light Inner Door Handle Bowls Mood Lighting".

These are blue but apparently they are working on a white version

Which color most closely resembles the blue color of the 2019 rav4 hyrbids interior switches? If neither the Blue, or Ice Blue match very closely, I'm leaning towards getting the white leds.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts