Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I start contorting myself with a meter does anyone know what spot in the interior drivers side fusebox has an always hot circuit? I bought a couple of low profile mini add-a-fuse taps so I can wire a front dashcam. Right now I'm using the 12v outlet in the center console/cubby that's not cooperating with my dashcam. Looking at the owners manual I'm thinking #23 since it's labeled 'Main body ECU and power door locks'. Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I wired my dashcam right into the overhead console of my Avalon and used a pushbutton switch for those times I want to turn it off. The distance from the dashcam to the console is only a few inches, so there is no routing of a long cable to worry about. Don't connect 12v direct to the dashcam because it only takes 5v. Inside the power plug at the end of the cable for the dashcam is a circuit board that drops the voltage down. I wrapped it with Super33+ and glued it to the top of the roof console. I don't know if there is enough room on top of the RAV4 overhead console for this board. The board is about 1" x 3/4"

My wife's RAV has a similar overhead console that also has constant power. It's a bear to remove and it will come loose right before you think it's going to break.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input FixIt. I don't want to wire the cam into the console as I've already run the wires along the headliner and A Pillar (that was a royal pain since everything is so tight) and I don't want to get a separate hard wire power cord for the cam. I'll have time tomorrow afternoon to experiment with the fusebox.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts