Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you get the interior temperature up to a reasonable level on an extremely cold day, since the gasoline engine will not be operating during warmup?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Are you talking about the hybrid model? If so, the engine will run to warm itself up and to warm the batteries.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ICE starts as needed to make cabin heat. Don’t do a remote warmup when parked in an enclosed garage. :)
So are what you are saying is that if you turn the heat on, the ICE will start up? Under normal starting conditions it seems that only the electric motors start. We're new to this car and just learning the peculiarities of a hybrid. I've walked away from the car leaving the motor running, but that's not happening anymore. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you say the motor will heat things up, do you mean the electric motor.? When you start the car, I thought only the electric motor is running? Does that produce heat to warm the water and oil of the gas engine?
Thanks.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I think the compressor does Heat and Cold. like a heat pump...

It will produce heat and cold if the batteries have enough charge, Like at a stop light, etc...

But the ICE will come on and heat like a regular car.. to heat the cabin, and if there is battery power... It will shut down and let the heat pump take over, until the battery level drops to 3 bars... then kick on again...

So the heat is the ICE and the battery powered Heat pump ( A/C also )

·
Registered
222 Posts
So are what you are saying is that if you turn the heat on, the ICE will start up?
Exactly. Now that we're having some cold mornings, when I get in, start the car, and turn the heat up, the ICE starts running. I'm sure there's no heat pump or auxiliary resistive heating. ICE is required to make cabin heat. My e-Golf had a heat pump in addition to resistive heating and it also could scavenge some heat from the electric drive motor.

·
Registered
218 Posts
really, wow,
Thanks for sharing.
I read that somewhere... that the rav4 used a heat pump...
i'll try to find where i made my mistake
👍

·
Registered
69 Posts
The RAV4 has an electric resistance heater (like a hair dryer) in the auto HVAC system.
Warm air blows almost immediately.
The parts showing the heating element were posted in this forum a while ago.
It would be a big problem we had to wait for the ICE in this hybrid to run enough to get hot enough to heat the coolant, and then warm the cab.
The heat pump thoughts are, waaaay out there.

·
Registered
287 Posts
When you say the motor will heat things up, do you mean the electric motor.? When you start the car, I thought only the electric motor is running? Does that produce heat to warm the water and oil of the gas engine?
Thanks.
When starting a hybrid that's been sitting overnight the gas engine will start. Your tachometer should show this.

The electric motor will not run when the car is stopped, ever. Any heat it produces is waste heat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts