Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
A small word of warning. I installed a similar LED in my cargo light that was a bit too long and had to bend the tabs to make it fit. When I did they didn't make good solid contact and ended up setting up a high resistance in the circuit that manifested itself at the door switch. Ended up with a bit of smoke and some melted insulation. Learn from my mistake!

Rick

·
Premium Member
4,249 Posts
A small word of warning. I installed a similar LED in my cargo light that was a bit too long and had to bend the tabs to make it fit. When I did they didn't make good solid contact and ended up setting up a high resistance in the circuit that manifested itself at the door switch. Ended up with a bit of smoke and some melted insulation. Learn from my mistake!

Rick
Thank you for the heads up. I made sure it was making good contact on mine because i don't want to open it up again.

Sent from my HTC One X

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,643 Posts
Gbcue and JuneBug - did you upgrade your "footwell" lights (the two lights on the lower dash area)?

If so what bulb and how does one access these?

Thanks.
No, I'm leaving the footwell lights as they are already LED's from the factory. You can access the one on the passenger side by dropping down the glove box as if changing the cabin filter. You can reach in there and turn the light 90 degrees and it will come out. On the driver's side, you have to go in underneath/behind the console to reach it.

·
Registered
778 Posts
nice. this is a must due since those halogen bulbs look bad.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,643 Posts
nice. this is a must due since those halogen bulbs look bad.
The difference is amazing! The LED's look like mini HID headlights while the old bulbs look yellow like Grandma's flashlight. :thumbs_up:

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,643 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Gbcue and JuneBug - did you upgrade your "footwell" lights (the two lights on the lower dash area)?

If so what bulb and how does one access these?

Thanks.
No, the footwell lights are still amber LEDs.

·
Premium Member
4,249 Posts
Any ideas on what type of pressure switch i could use to power on/off an led strip in the center console? I also want to add led strips to the upper and lower glove boxes but i don't know what type of switch to use for on/off when they are opened. I know it would be something like the door switches for the center console but I'm not sure on how to do it.

Sent from my HTC One X

Reactions: uttman

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,643 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,249 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
thats a good mod. its helpful. pressure switches make everything soo oem ish

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,643 Posts
My LED retrofit is almost complete. I got the LED replacements for the backup lights today, but have to wait for the rain to stop so I can install them. I got all the lamps from Ebay--5 of the 5-LED wedge 168 types for the vanity lights, map lights, and license plate light at $1.27 each. I used 1 of the 4-LED festoon types for the dome light above the back seat at $2.98. For the cargo light in the back door I used a 6-LED festoon type ($3.95), and the backup lights are going to be replaced with the 30-LED wedge type 921 ($5.97 each). Total cost for all of these was $25.23--pretty cheap. The difference is amazing--they remind me of fluorescent lights. Here are some pictures of the LED lamps on my desk:

·
Registered
234 Posts
My LED retrofit is almost complete. I got the LED replacements for the backup lights today, but have to wait for the rain to stop so I can install them. I got all the lamps from Ebay--5 of the 5-LED wedge 168 types for the vanity lights, map lights, and license plate light at $1.27 each. I used 1 of the 4-LED festoon types for the dome light above the back seat at $2.98. For the cargo light in the back door I used a 6-LED festoon type ($3.95), and the backup lights are going to be replaced with the 30-LED wedge type 921 ($5.97 each). Total cost for all of these was $25.23--pretty cheap. The difference is amazing--they remind me of fluorescent lights. Here are some pictures of the LED lamps on my desk:
What size are the festoon types you are using? (The 4 LEDand 6 LED) Are they 31mm? Is the cargo light even the same size festoon as the dome lights?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
FYI, the cargo festoon is 29mm, the dome light is 31mm. Those 2mm do make a difference, but I just forced my 31mm into the 29mm of the cargo bay.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,643 Posts
What size are the festoon types you are using? (The 4 LEDand 6 LED) Are they 31mm? Is the cargo light even the same size festoon as the dome lights?
I didn't measure them. For the cargo door light, I had to bend one of the contacts with needle nose pliers because the 6-LED lamp is longer than the original festoon. The 4-LED lamp fit into the dome lamp with just a little coaxing. It is slightly longer than the original.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Reverse/backup lights: would it not have been better to have bought single direction bulbs rather than 360, does this not just light up the casing?

·
Premium Member
4,249 Posts
Reverse/backup lights: would it not have been better to have bought single direction bulbs rather than 360, does this not just light up the casing?
The more light on the reflector, the more light it will reflect, that's the point imo.

Sent from my HTC One X

·
Registered
134 Posts
Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

--SPOCK, Star Trek

21 - 40 of 74 Posts