Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,643 Posts
Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

--SPOCK, Star Trek
Sherlock Holmes said it first!

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,643 Posts
A bit disappointed...

Finally got around to installing the LED backup lights and I'm disappointed that they aren't as bright as I thought they would be:

Before:

After:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanks! I've been trying to find a really bright backup LED bulb. None of the ones I've looked at seemed very bright, and didn't want to spend lots of cash to keep experimenting. This was one of several I was debating.

I'm doing the map/dome lights with circuit boards and 5mm LEDs. Currently, the layout should be 36 LEDs each side (waiting on the LEDs to arrive). I was planning on red for both, but I might just make one side red and the other side blue just for fun.

·
Registered
110 Posts
No argument there... but they are focused better. Take 6 sets of 6 and it adds up nicely. I used a 6x8 array for brake lights and they projected better than most on the market. Projecting wasn't really the intent for brake lights, but I was happy with the results on my '98 Rav4. The backup and turn signal reflection chambers in the '09's tail lights aren't big enough to do that though, so I ordered the one you found.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
I got the following for $6.50!

I am planning to this for the map light/vanity/...: 6 Pcs White 12V T10 194 168 W5W 5 SMD LED Car Light Bulbs | eBay This is one I believe is not 5050 but 3528. I am fine with this as I do not want it to be super bright in front. (update: turns out they are 5050 but still not super bright; so all is good :) )

For the Dome light: 2X White Car LED Bulbs 31mm Festoon 6 SMD 5050 Dome Map Bright Bulb Light Lamp | eBay

For the Cargo light: 1x 31mm 5050 SMD 12 LED Pure White Car Festoon Interior Dome Light Lamp Bulb 12V | eBay .
That's the only one for which I did not buy a spare.

I will report on how it looks in my RAV when I am done.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,249 Posts
What is the best LED replacement for the backup lights? The brighter the better.
Would these 60-LED "bulbs" do the trick: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-T10-921-912-168-194-w5w-White-Car-LED-Back-up-Backup-Reverse-Light-bulb-lamp-/111180765760?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19e2e3da40&vxp=mtr#ht_686wt_932 ?

I am not 100% sure if they are 5050 or 3528.
I was thinking about buying these: http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=300964335586
7.5w is pretty bright plus they have lenses and they have leds all the way around.
The ones you posted are not going to give off a lot of light because they don't have lenses.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I was thinking about buying these: http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=300964335586
7.5w is pretty bright plus they have lenses and they have leds all the way around.
The ones you posted are not going to give off a lot of light because they don't have lenses.
I actually used these for my back-up lights. They aren't as bright as regular incandescent, but brighter than other LEDs. A little too blue for me, but I kept them in.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
OK, that's not for me then. I was hoping for a little more light when I backup. Are there other incandesent bulbs which would be brighter and not blow a fuse?

·
Premium Member
4,249 Posts
OK, that's not for me then. I was hoping for a little more light when I backup. Are there other incandesent bulbs which would be brighter and not blow a fuse?
Hey Vani, I have an idea on how to add some auxiliary reverse lights and I'm busy working on this project (here's a clue, the lamps will be retractable), if it works out like I plan I'll let you know.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I got the following for $6.50!

I am planning to this for the map light/vanity/...: 6 Pcs White 12V T10 194 168 W5W 5 SMD LED Car Light Bulbs | eBay

For the Dome light: 2X White Car LED Bulbs 31mm Festoon 6 SMD 5050 Dome Map Bright Bulb Light Lamp | eBay

For the Cargo light: 1x 31mm 5050 SMD 12 LED Pure White Car Festoon Interior Dome Light Lamp Bulb 12V | eBay . This is one I believe is not 5050 but 3528. I am fine with this as I do not want it to be super bright in front.

That's the only one for which I did not buy a spare.

I will report on how it looks in my RAV when I am done.
Also with your cargo area light, that housing is quite small and I don't know if the one you bought will fit.

·
Registered
146 Posts
how did you guys get the plastic cover off the vanity lights without messing up the plastic?

·
Premium Member
4,249 Posts
41 - 60 of 74 Posts