Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really bored so I guess I'll show you guys how my neons look. I started out with 12" white neons under the seats. Underneath the seats are holes that line up perfectly with the holes on the neon plate, and the screws just went into the foam. I took off the center plastic piece and routed all the wires up that, leaving slack so if I make the seat-bed :). The glow covers the entire floor area of the front and behind the seat.

After I got the under seat neons, I bought a StreetGlow Music interface, which makes the neons blink to the beat of the music.

Next I bought the 8-pack LED set from Advance Autoparts, they're meant to go underneath your car, but I put two in each door panel. I had the wire just lying there pretty much. One day I spent like 5 hours taking the door panels off and feeding it through the holes to make it look better, its almost impossible to get them through the rubber hose so its just on the outside of it. The wires that came with them were really small and ended up breaking multiple times, and kept shorting out.

While my car was getting fixed (from being rear ended), I had a pair of StreetGlow pedals on their way. These are cool! They light up white :D They only look white if its really dark, when its starting to get dark, they look a little off-white.

I ended up replacing the LED's with 6" neons. I taped the new wire from the neon to the old wire of the LED and fed it through the hole. The wire is much thicker and longer than the LED's. On the door panel, I also took off the clip that goes into the metal to hold it in place, so it wouldn't pinch the wire. I used electrical tape to hold the neon in place, I didn't feel like screwing into the plastic, although I did clip a tiny piece off of the panel so the wire could go behind it.

So all the things I described are hooked up to the music interface.

The cost:

2 12" neon------ 40 (friend used advance auto discount)
2 6" neon ------- 40
Pedals ----------- 20 (+$10 shipping)
Music interface- 25

When hanging out someplace just having the music and the lights playing its fun to watch, and people like it.

The first two images were brightened in photoshop (linear dodge) so the under-seat neons would show up like they do in real life. The doors look a little brighter and the corner lights on the wall are definately brighter.

B

·
0 Posts
Nice! I have some LED tubes under my dashbord. I"ll post some pics when I get home or maybe Monday at the latest. :D

Lookin' Good! :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
779 Posts
Very nice. The stock lighting in Ravs is awful. I do not know about flashing to the beat of the music but I dig the lights in the door panels. I would mount switches so each can be turned on and off by driver and passenger alike. Or, wire them to the courtesy light so that when the door opens, on comes the light.

Flashing to the beat of the music risks making your effort look like a case of dodgy wiring.

B

·
0 Posts
ian g said:
Or, wire them to the courtesy light so that when the door opens, on comes the light.
That's exactlly what I did. I wired it to the same circut as the dome lights, but I also installed a switch in the dash so that I can turn it on and off when the doors are closed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts