Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As my older posts will attest, I've had a history of frustration regarding my 2013 RAV4 Limited interior rattles.
This started before I had 1k miles on the car.

As a matter of fact, I've been car shopping for the last month or so and almost sold the Rav because of this.

Last week, the dealership was useless. Here's was the basic conversation with the service rep after leaving my car there ALL DAY:

Me: "Well, how'd it go?"

Service Rep with a grin on his face: "I rode with the mechanic and we clearly heard the rattle from the head unit but not the one in the ceiling."

Me hopeful: "Ok, cool! What did the mechanic do?"

Rep describing with his hands as he spoke: "Wwweeellllll, he took the head unit out..."

Me with excitement: "Alright, then what??"

Rep with joy in his voice: "Then… *long pause* - He PUT IT BACK IN AGAIN!!"

Me: "That's it? That's all he did??"

Rep with a confident smile: "Yep, that's it! Yeah,
he did some checking around and stuff. You know, the mechanic was thinking that this might tighten up anything loose in there
and get it all straightened out."

I got back in my car and drove away. NOTHING was fixed; the rattle was even worse, still under warranty too.
The mechanic didn't even fix the sticking moonroof cover that I mentioned.

I swear this happened at COOL SPRINGS TOYOTA, Franklin, TN.

Anyway, forget that. - There's good news:

In my frustration, I stumbled on a Youtube video which describes how to get rid of dash rattles and squeaks. The best part?
The car in the video is THE perfect candidate, a 2013 RAV4!

My head unit / dash rattling days are now over because it was fixed by someone competent, me.

I ended up replacing the cheap stock felt with this stuff I found at Lowe's and it works great -
It's called "Gripper Blanket" by Softtouch.

Here it is on Amazon; https://www.amazon.com/SoftTouch-Self-Stick-Non-Slip-Surface-Grip/dp/B000SL0KJM

In this cookie cutter auto world we live in... If an actual human being could spend a few more minutes on things like this with a slightly better quality material, all this BS could be avoided. But hey, that might cost a manufacturer an extra .25 cents per vehicle.

One thing I did that the guy in the video does not do, is clean off the old felt adhesive with alcohol. Also, I ended up padding more places with the Gripper Blanket stuff than in the video. After pressing all over that cheap molded plastic dash strip, it's now quiet as can be. Enjoy!

·
Registered
81 Posts
This is a good video and confirms another lengthy RAV4World posting here regarding that right-hand vent on this gen where I'd safely bet a majority of dash rattles originate.
I'd bet this is a well known and documented problem because when I took mine into the dealer, they added tape in almost every one of these areas.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I knew about this video but I did not know where to get the pads. Thanks for the link. I have a 2015le that has rattled since the day we picked it up

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a quick update on the wonderful interior rattle issues.

I had a particularly nefarious tapping somewhere near the center vent and upper head unit.

It was impossible to find due to road noise and the nebulous sound location reflecting off the windshield, etc...

Left with no other options to fix, (I already took it to a dealer)
I ended up rolling up a shop towel and shoving it inside the dash under the center dash vent VERY tightly.

That tapping is now gone.

One last noise that comes and goes is all that's left... it's above the driver side sun visor where the roof lining meets the windshield.
I'm going use a toothpick to push a small amount of foam into the seam and that should do it.

Other than the occasional center arm rest and driver seat squeaks, that should take care of this Rav4 Limited... all $31,800 worth.

If there was a movie made about my interior noise issues, it would be on the scale of a Cecil B. DeMille feature film.

Any future noises and fixes will be documented on this thread.

Thanks for reading and wishing all a serene, beautiful day.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have just under 300 miles on my 2017 and hear a slight creak/rattle coming from the trim above the radio. You would think Toyota would have addressed the issue this late into production.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have just under 300 miles on my 2017 and hear a slight creak/rattle coming from the trim above the radio. You would think Toyota would have addressed the issue this late into production.
I WOULD NOT think Toyota would've addressed this issue this late into production.

Why?

Because for the most part, they just don't care.

Who the hell wants to drive a car with an interior that rattles like a tin can?
Search the internet about the newer Rav's, it's everywhere!

This will be the last Toyota I'll ever drive.
My kids, friends and co-workers have heard my sagas about the dealership and
lame interior quality; they'll think about that the next time they buy a vehicle.
Oh yes, they will! People talk, they'll tell their friends and so on and so on...

It's all word of mouth but these corporate "bowtie planning" morons rarely factor in human nature.

I can hear them whining now: "But I don't understand sir... uhhh... the plan looked good on paper..."

People vote with their feet and their wallets. When things get bad enough
for a company, they'll change their short sighted, cost cutting ways. Unless of course,
you have a safety net called legal plunder, AKA getting bailed out by taxpayers.

Even that has a price. If the Feds ask a bailed out company to kiss their omnipotent ba**s, they must comply.
But hey, at least the shareholders might be impressed and keep their stock another year!

Meanwhile, what they truly produce isn't cookie cutter, manufactured products... they produce dissatisfied customers.

Let's see how that works out in the long run.

Believe it or not, Kia, yes KIA, is building a kick ass car! Laugh if you must... check sales numbers.
Great repair records, awesome ride, up to date infotainment... I took a long test drive, IT ROCKED.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I WOULD NOT think Toyota would've addressed this issue this late into production.

Why?

Because for the most part, they just don't care.

Who the hell wants to drive a car with an interior that rattles like a tin can?
Search the internet about the newer Rav's, it's everywhere!

This will be the last Toyota I'll ever drive.
My kids, friends and co-workers have heard my sagas about the dealership and
lame interior quality; they'll think about that the next time they buy a vehicle.
Oh yes, they will! People talk, they'll tell their friends and so on and so on...

It's all word of mouth but these corporate "bowtie planning" morons rarely factor in human nature.

I can hear them whining now: "But I don't understand sir... uhhh... the plan looked good on paper..."

People vote with their feet and their wallets. When things get bad enough
for a company, they'll change their short sighted, cost cutting ways. Unless of course,
you have a safety net called legal plunder, AKA getting bailed out by taxpayers.

Even that has a price. If the Feds ask a bailed out company to kiss their omnipotent ba**s, they must comply.
But hey, at least the shareholders might be impressed and keep their stock another year!

Meanwhile, what they truly produce isn't cookie cutter, manufactured products... they produce dissatisfied customers.

Let's see how that works out in the long run.

Believe it or not, Kia, yes KIA, is building a kick ass car! Laugh if you must... check sales numbers.
Great repair records, awesome ride, up to date infotainment... I took a long test drive, IT ROCKED.

But the key point is to look at the Kia 5 years from now. How is the reliability holding up and also how is the resale value holding up. These two things might bite you in the butt down the line. It is always somewhat of a gamble.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
But the key point is to look at the Kia 5 years from now. How is the reliability holding up and also how is the resale value holding up. These two things might bite you in the butt down the line. It is always somewhat of a gamble.
With my Rav4 Limited still under full factory warranty (less than three years old) and only 30k miles, the highest trade in offer I got was 19k. This for a
car with a new sticker value of over 31k.

I'd like to clarify something...

I know I've bitched about the interior of the new Rav. I think some of that reaction is
because up until this point, all of my Toyotas have been basically perfect!

It's been my personal experience that Toyota makes a good car. I've owned at least 8 of them.

- The engines are some of the most dependable. We all know about the legendary Toyota 4 cylinder. I never even look under the hood!
- Every transmission system has been trouble free.
- And hey, it starts up every day!

These things are the most important to me.
Chasing down the rattles in this new Rav has been extremely frustrating at times.

I can safely say, even with many miles on them, my Toyotas
were NEVER in the shop for any major issues. (except a water pump on the old '82 Corolla and that's not major)
For this, I'm thankful. :smile

·
Registered
28 Posts
Every car has problems. Some are just nerve racking some are reliability issues. What bothers some owners does not bother others. I will take a vehicle that starts and runs every time and has a great reliability record and put up with little things (to me) like a dash rattle). If you look at problems on the forum that owners complain about, you seldom see major problems like engine, transmission etc. The complaints range from stiff ride to radio complaints. None of these have to do with reliability with the vehicle. They are complaints that have to do with what each owner feels is important to him. While they are important to the owners, you must remember that this is a mass produced vehicle and everything will not satisfy every owner. I am old and spent 47 years in the dealership service departments. You haven't seen anything unless you went through GM'S abortions of the 80"s. The X car that had 13 recalls before we could sell them. The dreaded diesel engines that would not run. The T-Tops that leaked like a waterfall. The first fuel injected engines that had all kinds of drivability problems. Interior water leaks that could not be fixed.
I could go on but with the modern cars we get spoiled and expect everything to be perfect. Why does Mercedes Benz have a service department?? Their cars are good but not perfect.
Sorry for the rant

·
Registered
60 Posts
My 2015 Rav4 Rattles on top (roof) of the driver side. Does anyone have this problem and got it fixed?

It's really annoying and rattles more obvious when the weather get cold.

·
Premium Member
7,939 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
600 miles on the clock and the rattles/squeaks are still present. I noticed a high frequency rubbing sound coming from the glovebox area yesterday. Oh well.

·
Registered
60 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Every car has problems. Some are just nerve racking some are reliability issues. What bothers some owners does not bother others. I will take a vehicle that starts and runs every time and has a great reliability record and put up with little things (to me) like a dash rattle). If you look at problems on the forum that owners complain about, you seldom see major problems like engine, transmission etc. The complaints range from stiff ride to radio complaints. None of these have to do with reliability with the vehicle. They are complaints that have to do with what each owner feels is important to him. While they are important to the owners, you must remember that this is a mass produced vehicle and everything will not satisfy every owner. I am old and spent 47 years in the dealership service departments. You haven't seen anything unless you went through GM'S abortions of the 80"s. The X car that had 13 recalls before we could sell them. The dreaded diesel engines that would not run. The T-Tops that leaked like a waterfall. The first fuel injected engines that had all kinds of drivability problems. Interior water leaks that could not be fixed.
I could go on but with the modern cars we get spoiled and expect everything to be perfect. Why does Mercedes Benz have a service department?? Their cars are good but not perfect.
Sorry for the rant
I'll sum up my experience with Toyota's very simply:

9 previous Toyotas - ZERO interior noise. Current 2013 Rav4 - interior rattles like a tin can.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The rattles doesn't seems to be from the moonroof.

It seems to came from the top handle or the Sun Visor.
600 miles on the clock and the rattles/squeaks are still present. I noticed a high frequency rubbing sound coming from the glovebox area yesterday. Oh well.
I wish you happiness with your Rav.

Two weeks ago, with 34k miles, my front drivers seat started squeaking when bearing left.
This makes a total of 6 distinct noises in the cabin. Some intermittent, some full-time.
I won't get fooled again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts