Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The interior window trim on driver door window broke. It came apart near the corner at the top rear of the windows. The wind noise now is incredible.

I've been looking for part information and tutorials on replacing this, but all I'm finding is information about the weather stripping on the outside of the car. I don't trust the folks at our local dealer's parts/service center (previous bad experiences), and would like to take care of this myself, but am at a loss for information right now. Any help is much appreciated!

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,889 Posts
The interior window trim on driver door window broke. It came apart near the corner at the top rear of the windows. The wind noise now is incredible.

I've been looking for part information and tutorials on replacing this, but all I'm finding is information about the weather stripping on the outside of the car. I don't trust the folks at our local dealer's parts/service center (previous bad experiences), and would like to take care of this myself, but am at a loss for information right now. Any help is much appreciated!
Can you be more specific about this trim and where it is located? A couple of pictures might help. Then I might be able to track down the part number.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I attached the only picture of it I have right now. I'll try to get some more, better pictures later today. That piece you see at the base of the window is supposed to be at the top-rear corner.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I managed to get a few more last night. Hope these help. I realized, in looking at it closer, that this piece of stripping is on the outside too. Any help is much appreciated!

Attachments

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,889 Posts
Yeah, that's part of the rubber channel molding for the window. Looks like it may have gotten stuck to the glass somehow and tore loose when the glass went down. I can't imagine how the outside molding got damaged.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,889 Posts
OK, I think these are the part numbers:

RUN, FRONT DOOR GLASS, LH 68151-42090
FRAME SUB-ASSY, FRONT DOOR, REAR LOWER LH 67404-42030

Looking again at your third picture, it appears that the glass definitely ripped and pulled the rubber channel down on the inside.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is this something a mechanically inclined person with a good set of tools could replace on a Saturday afternoon, or am I looking at taking this thing somewhere?

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,889 Posts
Is this something a mechanically inclined person with a good set of tools could replace on a Saturday afternoon, or am I looking at taking this thing somewhere?
I had a similar problem on my Maxima, and it was fairly easy even though I had never done that kind of work before. In my case the glass pushed the rubber channel down into the door where it bunched up and prevented the glass from going all the way down. I removed the door panel (Youtube videos will show you how), and removed the 2 small bolts holding the bottom of the glass to the regulator. This allowed me to drop the glass down and out of the channel. In my case, the channel was not ripped like yours, so all I had to do was work it back into the door frame. I used a dish of warm soapy water and applied it to the channel with a small brush. This made it easier to push into the door frame. After lifting the glass back into place and bolting to the regulator, I plugged the switch panel back in and ran the glass up and down. After re-assembling the door panel, I sprayed silicone lube in the channel so the glass wouldn't stick again. Everyone reading this should spray a little silicone into their window channels every now and then as well as lubing the door hinges. These items are not covered under most extended warranties.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those part numbers helped, and I've done some additional research. I the parts in the attached picture are everything I need. Well, those parts, time, patience, and alcohol. ;-)

Thoughts and comments are welcome!

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts