Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Regardless of ammonia or ammonia free glass cleaning products I have tried it always seems to leave a slight film or haze after cleaning - these products work fine on household glass windows but for some reason leaves a residue on my windshield. Wonder if anyone else experiences this issue and if they found a product that works well?

·
Super Moderator
11,105 Posts
When I detailed cars for a living I used this after trying many many others. For interior of windshield you must use a quality microfiber cloth for cleaning then a dry clean one to go over the area again. Two applications prior to buffing with the clean towel is not unusual with major build up. Walmart & Sam's has it as do most all grocery stores.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
I use el cheapo Walmart glass cleaner and have no problem with residue either inside or outside on my RAV. Maybe would be different if tobacco smoke were involved, but no smoking permitted.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I also use invisible glass with microfiber towel for glass. Never use paper towels. I will never buy anything from Wal-Mart due to an incident between (at the time) my preteen daughter and the store manager. Store employees were in shock. It took corporate years to fire him. Nuff said.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I also use invisible glass with microfiber towel for glass. Never use paper towels. I will never buy anything from Wal-Mart due to an incident between (at the time) my preteen daughter and the store manager. Store employees were in shock. It took corporate years to fire him. Nuff said.
+1 on the Invisible Glass" cleaner. Also, not a fan of wall muttz either.

·
Registered
120 Posts
When I detailed cars for a living I used this after trying many many others. For interior of windshield you must use a quality microfiber cloth for cleaning then a dry clean one to go over the area again. Two applications prior to buffing with the clean towel is not unusual with major build up. Walmart & Sam's has it as do most all grocery stores.

Nothing beats this stuff. I started using it years ago when I was framing photo's.

Invisible Glass is.....finicky.

·
Registered
16 Posts
+ ∞. I clean glass for a living. What I can’t use a squeegee on effectively, I use SprayWay, with a 2 towel method. “Heavily mist” the glass being cleaned, let it foam up for a minute or two until it starts to run, and quickly go over the entire area with your first microfiber/lint free towel (surgical hucks are my favorite). If you’ve used enough spray, your first towel will get fairly saturated and leave a moderate amount of moisture on the glass. Then go over the entire area with the second towel and buff dry. I can usually do all of the windows in my rig with just two towels.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been using a Mr. Clean eraser to apply the glass cleaner. You can actually see it pulling the scum off the windows. Apply, wipe off with a microfiber towel, Then I just spray cleaner on a towel, clean window again and buff off. Impeccably clean towels are a must. Rinse out the eraser with fresh water and air dry. It sounds like major tasking but it's not. I use Maguire's glass cleaner bought by the gallon and mixed with distilled water. The science behind buying that brand is my wife likes the way it smells.

·
Super Moderator
11,105 Posts
Invisible Glass is.....finicky.
I came to the same conclusion and gave up on it. It will work fine in some instances and smear like mad the next time. Way too inconsistent for what I was doing. I bought by the case but gave much of it away to clients after that. Stoner's has some great products that I used daily but this one didn't cut it for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In my experience it doesn't matter what you spray on the window. What matters is what you wipe it off with. I use wadded up newspaper. The print ink is a slight abrasive and doesn't leave a film.

·
Registered
175 Posts
In my experience it doesn't matter what you spray on the window. What matters is what you wipe it off with. I use wadded up newspaper. The print ink is a slight abrasive and doesn't leave a film.
We used to use water and newspapers to clean our house windows—worked great. Never tried it on a car. Seems newspapers are becoming a thing of the past. All newspaper firms are going digital. You can still find newsprint put much less of it. Good call though.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,718 Posts
I bought a Windshield Wonder (as seen on TV) about 4 years ago. The reviews on Amazon were good. One day I guess I'll open up the package and try it out.

·
Super Moderator
11,105 Posts
I have a similar one from Invisible glass. It's a great help in cramped rear seats like the 2 door Caddy CTS but not great in the corners.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts