Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all recently purchased a 2010 Rav4 V6 noticed the rear seals were leaking and dropped diff as per another post. Went great changed seals and breather. no leaks now. However I am getting an intermittent 4wd light seems to only come on if I am idling for a few minutes or randomly on the hwy. I noticed the drive shaft u joint is a bit loose but it was not happening before this repair. If anyone had any ideas as to why this would happen would be great. My scanner is pulling c1298 code is this the rear coupler? Could low front end diff fluid cause this issue? The light is always off after I restart the car but the code is still there.

Many thanks for any input!

·
Registered
2010 2.0 VVTi RAV 4
214 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum

The code relates to a linear solenoid, but I do not know where it is located (hope someone can help). It has a good chance of being a wiring harness/connector corrosion problem, so I would go for a visual inspection of the exposed harness (critter damage) or any damaged/corroded connection pins. After this, you would need to break out the DVOM to check the solenoid, or replace it

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well seems like it was the electrical connector for the differential one wire was brittle and broken off slightly by the plug. Gave it a wiggle of what I could reach today and the 4wd light is on all the time. Will drop it down again soon and replace with some longer wire and terminals next fine day.

·
Registered
2010 2.0 VVTi RAV 4
214 Posts
Well seems like it was the electrical connector for the differential one wire was brittle and broken off slightly by the plug. Gave it a wiggle of what I could reach today and the 4wd light is on all the time. Will drop it down again soon and replace with some longer wire and terminals next fine day.
Thanks for the reply, at least you have a good direction to focus on. As the wire is in poor shape, if you can, look at the connector too. if the terminals look bad, give them a spritz of something like DeOxit to clean the contacts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts