Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 33K miles on the car. Starting about 6 months ago (5000mi?) the brakes began to make a grinding sound off and on, sometimes accompanied by squealing. I took it to the dealer and an unpleasant tech said "They all do that" in a condescending way, like everybody knows that. Are others getting this intermittent growling/grinding noise? How about accompanied occasionally by squealing?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have the 2016 Rav4 SE (newer design) and I already put on 30K on my car. I noticed the same grinding / squealing noise braking at the lower speed. After doing some research here on the forum, I found the TSB here: http://www.rav4world.com/forums/127-4-4-tsbs/249297-front-brake-squeak-noise-t-sb-0096-16-a.html
And my local dealer was able to duplicate the problem and fixed it for me at no cost.
They've added a part to stop the noise + installed a brand new set of front pads for me.
You should probably look into this if your model qualifies.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I only have 33K miles on my RAV so I have 3K miles left on my basic 36K warranty, but I'm at 38 months or two months beyond the 36 month limit. However, I have the extended Toyota warranty that goes to 100K miles or 2022 which I was told when I bought it that it was an extension of the basic warranty and covered everything the basic warranty covered. Apparently not. After spending an hour+ on the phone with Toyota, I got this answer:

This is not covered under the extended Toyota warranty because it is a brake job. The person I spoke to said, all of the parts to be replaced under that bulletin were original parts and there originally -- due to wear they had begun to make these noises and therefore it requires a brake job to fix and brake jobs are not covered under the extended warranty.

If the new pads & shims called for in the bulletin are the same as the original I guess he's right it's a brake job and
not covered; just barely. If he's wrong they should cover it, but I have no way to know if he's right or not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 33K miles on the car. Starting about 6 months ago (5000mi?) the brakes began to make a grinding sound off and on, sometimes accompanied by squealing. I took it to the dealer and an unpleasant tech said "They all do that" in a condescending way, like everybody knows that. Are others getting this intermittent growling/grinding noise? How about accompanied occasionally by squealing?
Same story, at 23K miles, they said brakes only last 18 -20K miles on these. I argued, I had two Highlanders and over 45K miles on both; never replacing brakes! I left the car and said do whatever...The service rep called me and said they had five Rav4s in that week with the same issue, and they would replace them without charge under warranty; although it was beyond the two year warranty time period. Just rolled 25K and the brakes are making noise again!!!! Also, had to replace the battery yesterday!

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I had the same noise on my '15 XLE at 22K miles also. Did a 4 corner brake replacement + rotors by myself; even greased the slide pins too! I am now a YouTube Certified Mechanic. ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm happy that I'm not the only one with this problem, I seldom drive my wife's 2018 RAV4 with less than 10,000 miles but i was reminded this morning of the grinding noise when applying the brakes. Our local Kenosha Carmax gave us the same "they all do that" "Toyotas are known for that" excuse. This was my first Toyota and will be my last, after i replace the pads and rotors so I don't pass on this symptom to the next owner, I'll be looking at a Honda replacement.

·
Registered
2017 Rav4 Hybrid AWD XLE
1 Posts
Hi everyone, I had a similar problem with my 2017 rav4 hybrid. I have 26,288 miles and had noticed front grinding noise coming from front and at last inspection my mechanic said there was some odd wear on the front rotors. You could feel it without taking the wheel off, the inner side of rotor had ridges. I ordered new rotors and pads from rockauto (great place) and am sharing some pics of what I found when I pulled the existing rotors and pads off. one item of note for anyone changing pads/rotors, the 2017 has two different size rotors and front pads...this wasn't readily apparent to me at first and found this a bit confusing...not sure why they did this but anyway just be aware.

So you can see in the pics the back side of the rotor had strange wear it looks like pad was only contacting inner part of rotor. I've worked on variety of cars and have never seen this type of wear pattern. the other thing I noted was on both front wheels the sliders were very stiff. They weren't frozen solid but they seemed to lack sufficient lubricant. Again keep in mind this is first change with only 26k miles, so wouldn't have expected this. It's a little hard to see but you can see the pads were also wearing differently the inner pad was almost out of material and the outer still had some life in it.

I went with akebono (sp) premium pads and a 'premium' raybestos rotor Will see how they hold up over the original parts. I consider 26K to be early for pads to need to be replaced and definitely way early for a rotor to show that kind of wear. All noises are now gone. i can't say I notice a difference in braking performance but noises are all gone and feel better knowing the sliders are working again and hoping new parts hold up better. Note, I've not any had any other (knock wood) issues with the vehicle. Toyotas in general have treated me well and the brakes are pretty easy to work on (unlike honda rotors...that's a whole other story many posts out there to tell you how to deal w/ their rotor screws) Good Luck everyone!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
When I did my brakes just shy of 22,000 miles I found the SLIDE PINS had no grease left on them. I'll bet that's why one set of pads is worn more than the other - sticking pads from lack of grease on the slide pins.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts