Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Rav4 Has had a series of problems that I cannot seem to figure out. I had checked codes a month ago and followed up on those by replacing the 02 sensor (downstream) and plugs, coils and air filter as well as cleaned the throttle body. I am still getting the code for cylinder 2 misfire.

The symptoms. When the car is started it has a very rough idle. The Check Engine light, VSC light, 4x4 light and maint. reqd lights are all illuminated. If I try to drive as soon as it warms up the check engine light will begin to flash and the car loses power almost like it is choking out. If I baby it eventually the light stops flashing and it will regain power and drive fairly normal. When I come to a stop in gear the idle drops way off and will sometimes stall unless I shift it into neutral. I have done all the things I can think of being non mechanical. If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate the direction at this point. :crying

·
Super Moderator
10,127 Posts
Welcome.
Year, model, engine and miles would help us help you.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Are there any other error codes showing when the codes are read? Some auto supply stores will plug in a code reader and check the codes for free.

Seems that even though you say that you're non-mechanical you have actually done quite a lot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My car is a 2007 Rav4 4 cyl. with 215,000 miles it has had regular maintenance mostly highway mileage. I have a code reader and have gotten rid of most of the codes by doing the repairs that have been needed however the code that persists is the cylinder 2 misfire :crying ... I have been told that it could possibly be a vacuum leak?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
I don't think a vacuum leak would cause a misfire on one cylinder. Try swapping the coils between cylinder 1 and 2 and check the codes after driving a while. If it has changed to misfire on cylinder 1, the coil is bad. And yes, I know you said you changed the coils, but it is not uncommon to find a new part that's bad out of the box.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This morning I switched The 1&2 cylinder coils and the code stays with cylinder 2. What should my next step be?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Check the fuel injector on #2. The quick way is to put a screw driver to it and the handle end to your ear. Does it click rapidly. If no, ohm (resistance reading) the injector. Not sure the exact specs but if it is open it is dead. If yes, you hear clicking, then I'd compression test that cylinder.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
This morning I switched The 1&2 cylinder coils and the code stays with cylinder 2. What should my next step be?
My old trick to check for certain whether the ignition system was working for the suspect cylinder was to use a spark plug not installed (an old one will work unless it is obviously damaged), situate it so that the screw-in part of the body is grounded to an exposed part of the engine but so that the electrical input current part is not grounded, and then start the engine and see whether that spark plug was actually producing sparks. If there is no spark there would be a fault in the ignition system for that cylinder, Unfortunately with modern systems it could be a problem with the ECM which is supposed to initiate firing for the spark plugs. If that would be the case then with today's electronics it would be necessary to have a competent auto repair shop do further testing. On the other hand if that spark plug actually would be producing sparks then the problem would be something else.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts