Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For over a year now, my 2013 RAV4's front brakes have been making a groaning/grinding noise right before the car stops. This only happens occasionally, and usually after a long commute involving stop-and-go traffic. It used to happen only once every couple of months, but is now a daily occurrence, and requires a much shorter trip before it happens.

I figured this was some defect with the pads/rotors, but back in March I had both replaced and the noise continued to happen. What's worse, the rotors warped after about 4 months and had to be replaced. My mechanic put in harder rotors, since we assumed heat was causing the issue. Those warped after 2 months.

A couple of weeks ago, I had both front wheel bearing assemblies replaced (and fresh rotors again). Still the noise persists, although the jury is still out on whether or not the rotors will warp again.

Anybody run across something like this before? My mechanic is running out of ideas, and thinks perhaps slotted cryo-rotors might be the next option. I'm not 100% convinced it isn't being caused by something outside the immediate area of the brakes themselves. Any experience you might have had with something like this would be appreciated.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
Did you have this problem with the OEM pads from the factory? If not, order the Advics pads from Amazon--they are the OEM pads and the only ones I use.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you have this problem with the OEM pads from the factory? If not, order the Advics pads from Amazon--they are the OEM pads and the only ones I use.
Yes, when this started happening the car was only a little over 2 years old, and still on the original pads.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sorry to revive old thread, but this happens to mine too. Just had 50k service and the tech said that it was "normal," and that all new toyotas make this noise. I call major BS on this. No car should grind/crunch when stopping. It indicates impropper braking where the pad and rotor are slipping and catching. Very poor material selection on the part of Toyota, and very poor customer service on the part of local dealers. Toyota should put appropriate equipment on their vehicles. I mean, look at what they did with the driver's floor mats. Not exactly a great track record...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts