Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 24k on my '06 Base model RAV with V6 and automatic. I've begun to hear a hum at highway speeds that will last from 5 to 15 seconds. At first, I thought I was going over a change in the pavement surface that was causing a difference in tire noise. However, that's not the case.
Yesterday, it happened more in the afternoon, returning from a day of driving in the mtns than it did on the way to the mtns. To quantify the more or less, I heard it maybe twice during the 70 miles to the mtns and maybe 6 times on the way back. It also doesn't matter if I'm going straight or the wheel is slightly turned.
Do these symptoms sound familiar to anyone?
Thanks,
Willie

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
If you could include a video or something similar with the sound that would be helpful.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Attaching a recording is a great idea! I'll try but I'm not very optimistic about being able to. The noise is VERY intermittent and very brief in duration. Say the word "hum" just loud enough to be heard by a person sitting next to you and you'll be imitating it perfectly. :)

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Attaching a recording is a great idea! I'll try but I'm not very optimistic about being able to. The noise is VERY intermittent and very brief in duration. Say the word "hum" just loud enough to be heard by a person sitting next to you and you'll be imitating it perfectly. :)
I'd just throw something out there...wheel bearing on the way out?
How about jacking up all 4 corners in your driveway and listen at each wheel while someone inside works the gas pedal. Or the same thing at your mechanics but on a lift.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the same thought but my experience with wheel bearings going out always included a difference in the sound in relation to the position of the steering wheel. Also, in light of it having less than 25K on it, I figured it probably wasn't wheel bearings. None the less, I think it'd be wise to follow your advice. If nothing else, it'll rule that possibility out.
Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.