Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I've been hearing some intermittent knocking sounds coming from the rear passenger area of my 96' RAV4. Did some research and the most common suspect appears to be the rear stabilizer bar link.

Planning on tackling this job myself this weekend. However, before I do, I'm a bit confused as most reports of the problem stress that the knocking should appear when the RAV travels on bumpy roads or when making turns. In my case, I've never noticed the knocking sound on bumpy roads or when making turns. Instead, the knocking will appear intermittently when traveling straight at mid-to-higher speeds (45 and above) on smooth highway. Sometimes the knocking lasts a second; other times it can continue for almost 3-5 seconds.

Does that still sound like the stabilizer bar link, or am I likely heading in the wrong direction with this? As always, any advice is appreciated.

Best regards!

·
Registered
621 Posts
I had a rattle like that in the back of mine, turned out to be caused by the stock mudflaps.
On the inside of the flap, there is an insert that snaps into a bracket. The insert had gotten weak and works loose, then the insert will rattle in the right wind and road conditions.
I replaced the insert with a nut and the rattle stopped.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've had a couple rattles at the back, one was the spare tire mount other was the exhaust tapping the framer rails. Something easy to look into.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts