Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 97 manual 4 door has been acting up a bit. A month or so ago, I pulled into the driveway, got out of the car and tried to arm the alarm/lock the doors, nothing happened. I got back in the car and it was dead with the key in all ignition positions, then a few sections later it magically turned on. I got out and locked it with the key fob. Fast forward to yesterday. A quick 5 min drive to pickup some takeout. I can back and the tried to start the car...the radio was working in both ACC and On i believe. Turned my lights on to see if they would dim in start and they didn't even come on. In start everything went dead and absolutely nothing happened. So i'm sitting there, making a couple more attempts with no success. Then with the key in ACC or On (im not sure) without me doing anything (clutch not engaged, not touching the key) I heard a click, presumably a relay activating, then the car starts and runs fine. I'm reading that the lock cylinder sometimes goes back but it seems that is usually an issue turning the key, such as binding. I'm not having such issue. I assume the start relay is working fine as it should only be activated in the start position. Ideas? Main relay, ignition switch?
Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well if you're lucky it'll be a loose battery terminal. Happened to me recently with similar symptoms (Power would come on fine, I'd try to start, hear a click and it'd lose all power). If it's not that all I can do is wish you luck XD

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yep, sounds like the same thing that happened to me. My cars terminal clamp was corroded and loose for whatever reason when this was happening to me. I just cleaned everything up and bought a "battery post shim" and it tightened everything up.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow, i was going in a completely different direction. I'll clean them up and see if it helps. Thanks

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
And, with a battery cable disconnected, check the condition of the wires and possibly clean/tighten the other end-connections too.

Also check the ground strap, and consider adding a heavy ground wire directly from the negative terminal to the engine. Search on here for examples, including mine from long ago.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did have some corrosion on the negative terminal, which I've now cleaned. Since this is intermittent I won't know for a while. I did add an extra ground strap between the engine and firewall years ago. Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts