Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed an intermittent vibration sound which seems to be coming from the front driver side, side vent.

I am not 100% sure if this is where it is coming from.
I first noticed this with cold weather and the heater vents on, but today was warmer & I didn't use the heater vents & it was still intermittently there.

I noticed today that the side vents do turn & thought perhaps it is coming from this or something inside.

The inside looks like plastic & there doesn't seem to be any nuts or screws that can be tightened.

Does anyone have any ideas??

Thanks for any assistance.
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I noticed it more this morning while going to work. It may vibrate more when it is colder.

I brought it in tonight & they applied felt on the cluster area & the vent. It was difficult to duplicate the vibartion with the mechanic, possbily as the vehicle was warm & driven for a while before getting there.

I drove it after he applied the felt for about 15 minutes & didn't seem to notice it until I parallell parked the vehicle.

I'll see how it is tomorrow going in to work.

I have also noticed a squeak in the drivers seat on the back left side when I lean back. This is the manual seat on the Sport model.
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I get the same vibration, actually I have two vibrations. The one on the drivers side, which actually is coming from the area around the support handle above the door. If I press on the area around it it will stop. I also have a vibration around my moonroof area. They both go away when I get on a half way smooth road. Portland's freeways are like driving on gravel. Liberal tax and spend state where you get very little for your tax dollar. Haven't really figured out who is getting it?!? OOPs didn't mean to get political :D
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I left my vehile overnight at the dealer.

We drove it early this morning & the mechanic did hear the vibration or "buzz" sound as he put it, however he couldn't find exactly where it was coming from. He thinks it may be the wires coming in contact with something behind the cluster area. He is not sure.

He took the windshield wipers off and the cluster apart.
By then the Rav was warm as it was inside. We drove it without the wipers on & the cluster off.
I was driving with no speedo & could see all the wires behind the cluster. It seems Toyota from the factory does put some foam in the cluster area as they must know there are some noises that come from there.

I could not duplicate the sound with everything off.
I did notice it a couple times this afternoon driving by myself.

I will see what happens when I drive to work in the morning.

The shop foreman said this is a very difficult problem to rectify unless they know exactly where it is coming from.

He suggested to leave it for the time being, & it may get worse so they can find it, or it may resolve itself.

Any Ideas??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
backtolife said:
I left my vehile overnight at the dealer.

We drove it early this morning & the mechanic did hear the vibration or "buzz" sound as he put it, however he couldn't find exactly where it was coming from. He thinks it may be the wires coming in contact with something behind the cluster area. He is not sure.....

Any Ideas??
Uh-oh, is this the 4.3 version of the infamous 4.2 Dash-rattle????
 
O

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I recently noticed that my Limited V6 is making a ticking/vibrating noise around the center console when driving. Has anybody been able to identify or fix the problem. I plan to go to the dealer but I'm not really sure what to tell them if they ask me where the sound is coming from? :(

OZ
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I test drove the v6 limited today but could not duplicate the buzz sound/whizz sound/psss sound or vibration sound that I have in my sport v6 while at coasting speeds.
I did notice while stopped, realeasing the brake pedal & reapplying the brake pedal had a similar sound to mine, however much more faint.

The other dealer listened today & did hear a sound, however didn't think it was coming from the cluster. He thought it was coming from under the steering column somewhere.

I could only duplicate the sound while the car was stopped. I would release the brake then push down on the brake.
This would duplicate the sound. I could duplicate the sound also in reverse as well as drive.

He felt this could be normal & part of how the brakes work in this vehicle. He also indicated the Matrix has similar sounds. He suggested leaving the vehicle overnight when the engine is cold & we will test drive again. I will leave it on Sunday for Monday morning to try with him.

I was unable to duplicate the sound while at coasting speeds.
 
O

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
backtolife, any updates from your trip to your dealer? have they found anything? I noticed that the vibration/ticking/rattling sound gets more audible when it's colder, like in the morning. I'm at the Northeast and we are having some very chilly spring weather this year.

Hope you find the problem and have it fixed by the dealer. It does get annoying at times, especially when the ticking becomes more of a rattling. :(

OZ
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oraclez:
The dealer indicated that the noise I am hearing is the brake booster vacuum compensation valve. It apparently applies vacuum to the booster in preparation of braking. They said it is normal.

While the vehicle is stopped & you apply your foot off the brake pedal & then reapply the brakes you can duplicate this sound.
I did try this on the demo limited v6 & it was also there, but less noticable.

Also when de-accelerating with your foot off the accelerator,this sound can also be duplicated, however when the vehicle is cold, it is much more noticable & more frequent.
I think this is what they mean when they said the system applies vacuum to the booster in prepartion of braking.

I did not notice this on the demo limited v6, however the RAV may have been driven earlier prior to me taking it out & a bit warmer.
 
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
backtolife said:
oraclez:
The dealer indicated that the noise I am hearing is the brake booster vacuum compensation valve. It apparently applies vacuum to the booster in preparation of braking. They said it is normal.

While the vehicle is stopped & you apply your foot off the brake pedal & then reapply the brakes you can duplicate this sound.
I did try this on the demo limited v6 & it was also there, but less noticable.

Also when de-accelerating with your foot off the accelerator,this sound can also be duplicated, however when the vehicle is cold, it is much more noticable & more frequent.
I think this is what they mean when they said the system applies vacuum to the booster in prepartion of braking.

I did not notice this on the demo limited v6, however the RAV may have been driven earlier prior to me taking it out & a bit warmer.
It looks like a few of us have noticed this so far. Like you said, it's definately more noticeable when the vehicle is cold. I suppose if enough people complain about it then Toyota will issue a TSB. If it is that part making the noise, the question remains is it something you should be hearing or not? If every single rav4 did this then I'd say it's normal. If only some do this then I would say it's not.

I would say mine is probably getting a little worse. I have not talked to service yet about this.

Rob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
Typical answer. But then again, I guess your just comparing it to what you use to drive.

Your perception is SKEWED. :?

Btw: If you would pay attention. Someone that posted here has a I4.

RAVON 8)
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
RAVon said:
Typical answer. But then again, I guess your just comparing it to what you use to drive.

Your perception is SKEWED. :?

Btw: If you would pay attention. Someone that posted here has a I4.

RAVON 8)
That would be me and my noise is different from what these folks are talking about. My noise is definitely coming from my moonroof vibrating on our crappy roads. It is not noticable when I get on a nice, recently paved road :D
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Unless you bring it in for service Toyota will not have a record of the complaint & problem. All information provided by dealers are sent to Toyota. The service department communicates directly with Toyota to see if there are solutions for problems. ie: this buzz or vibration sound.

I would suggest you bring it to document the problem & hopefully rectify it.

Good luck.
RobG said:
backtolife said:
oraclez:
The dealer indicated that the noise I am hearing is the brake booster vacuum compensation valve. It apparently applies vacuum to the booster in preparation of braking. They said it is normal.

While the vehicle is stopped & you apply your foot off the brake pedal & then reapply the brakes you can duplicate this sound.
I did try this on the demo limited v6 & it was also there, but less noticable.

Also when de-accelerating with your foot off the accelerator,this sound can also be duplicated, however when the vehicle is cold, it is much more noticable & more frequent.
I think this is what they mean when they said the system applies vacuum to the booster in prepartion of braking.

I did not notice this on the demo limited v6, however the RAV may have been driven earlier prior to me taking it out & a bit warmer.
It looks like a few of us have noticed this so far. Like you said, it's definately more noticeable when the vehicle is cold. I suppose if enough people complain about it then Toyota will issue a TSB. If it is that part making the noise, the question remains is it something you should be hearing or not? If every single RAV4 did this then I'd say it's normal. If only some do this then I would say it's not.

I would say mine is probably getting a little worse. I have not talked to service yet about this.

Rob
 
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
backtolife said:
Unless you bring it in for service Toyota will not have a record of the complaint & problem. All information provided by dealers are sent to Toyota. The service department communicates directly with Toyota to see if there are solutions for problems. ie: this buzz or vibration sound.

I would suggest you bring it to document the problem & hopefully rectify it.

Good luck.
RobG said:
backtolife said:
oraclez:
The dealer indicated that the noise I am hearing is the brake booster vacuum compensation valve. It apparently applies vacuum to the booster in preparation of braking. They said it is normal.

While the vehicle is stopped & you apply your foot off the brake pedal & then reapply the brakes you can duplicate this sound.
I did try this on the demo limited v6 & it was also there, but less noticable.

Also when de-accelerating with your foot off the accelerator,this sound can also be duplicated, however when the vehicle is cold, it is much more noticable & more frequent.
I think this is what they mean when they said the system applies vacuum to the booster in prepartion of braking.

I did not notice this on the demo limited v6, however the RAV may have been driven earlier prior to me taking it out & a bit warmer.
It looks like a few of us have noticed this so far. Like you said, it's definately more noticeable when the vehicle is cold. I suppose if enough people complain about it then Toyota will issue a TSB. If it is that part making the noise, the question remains is it something you should be hearing or not? If every single RAV4 did this then I'd say it's normal. If only some do this then I would say it's not.

I would say mine is probably getting a little worse. I have not talked to service yet about this.

Rob
Call me gun shy. I had nothing but frustration trying to get minor problems with my 2005 Acura RSX-S fixed. Aside from half assed repair attempts, they caused even more problems (damage) from these repairs.

I do not trust dealership mechanics. They don't give a flying fart about your car and everytime they mess with it, it gets further away from being factory spec.

Rob
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top