Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Rav4 Sport 2.4L 2WD. There's a very high pitched sqeak coming from the rear (can't tell which side) when the car is backing out of the drive way.

This squeak happens once, MAYBE twice. It also sometimes happens when I put the car in neutral and with engine off, push it out of the garage.

There's also sometimes a repetitive "sqeak" while going 30-40 mph. Can't be heard unless radio is off and passengers are silent. Very mild sqeak that repeats on each wheel rotation. Changing speed will increase the rapidity of the squeaks, but won't change the pitch of the squeaks. I can't really hear them on full highway speeds.

I've seen quite a bit of threads about other types of drive trains, but not the 2WD models.

My plan (for now) is to just wait it out and see if it gets worse, then I can maybe tell which side it's coming from. Ideas are appreciated though.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Purely guesses, based upon the description - possibly a wheel bearing as suggested, or a brake pad/rotor contact, or even a parking brake/parking brake wheel drum contact. Of the three, it would appear that a wheel bearing problem is the most likely.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Most likely not a wheel bearing, a wheel bearing will make a growling type noise at speed. Turning from side to side would change the sound.

What you are describing really sounds brake related, there is a small piece of spring metal on each set of disc brakes that sticks out a certain distance pointing towards the discs. As the brake pads begin to wear this wear indicator gets closer to the discs. When the brakes get worn a certain amount then this squealer for lack of better words will start to scrape the discs causing a high pitch squeal.

The sound coming and going with the rotation of the tire sounds like you may have a very slightly warped disc (not enough to feel when braking). An easy test to see if it is this wear indicator is, get up to a speed where you can hear the noise, with the windows down press very lightly on the brake pedal (not enough to slow you) the squeal may get louder, now press a bit harder and the noise will go away all together.

If this happens then you are in need of brakes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm, the rear brake pads were replaced a little over a year ago, and these pads currently have only 20,000 miles on them. Next time I hear the sound at speed I'll listen for changes when braking.

·
Registered
115 Posts
There is another strong possibility with the brake pads. If the pads turn out to have a lot of life left then you may want to remove them from the calipers, turn the friction side up. There is a groove separating the two sides of the friction surface. This will sometimes get filled up with brake dust and grime, there is a possibility something is sticking out rubbing on the rotors. Take a flat head screwdriver and drag it down this groove removing all the crud.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts