Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My left foglight goes out.
I check to see if the bulb is out but it's fine.
I plug the bulb back in and it works.
A couple engine starts later, it fails again and will not turn on.
I'm repeating the process every week and it's annoying.

Any thoughts on why this is happening? Bulb is fine and fuse is good. I do however have tons of electronics hooked up to my cigarette lighter (6 or 7). Am I using too much electricity and the car's having a hard time lighting everything up? Dash lights (temp controls) are dimming too.

Could it be that the bulb is too strong (aftermarket) and the harness is getting damaged?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Before you go too far with the troubleshooting, I'd suggest you swap the lites side to side.......it's not unusual for the filament to make again after handling the lite......

·
Registered
214 Posts
zoomie said:
swap them side to side? what does that mean? I don't understand. and what are you saying about the filament?
Swap the lights between the left and right. Move the bulb from the right light to the left, and visa versa.

The filament is the long piece of wire inside the bulb that actually heats up and creates the light. Sometimes on the way to being burned out, they get a little "touchy" and will work intermittently as they no longer make 100% contact.

My granddad showed me the trick of going out, turning on the highbeams and thumping (not hard) the light itself to sometimes solidify the connection. Of course, that was on the old big auto light bulbs (not halogen), but the theory is the same.

[edit : oh yeah, I also heard in another thread here that it helps to stand on the roof of your RAV4, stick one finger in your left ear, and do a rain dance :mrgreen: ]

Wayne

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for ya'll's help. I found the problem.

The bulbs are aftermarket and burn very hot. The heat messed up the harness and turned it a bit black. The connection therefore wasn't strong enough to light up the bulb. Solution (barbaric) is to take the bulb in and out of the harness multiple times to get rid of the black burned gunk. after that, the bulbs work fine...until you have to do it again. Eventually i assume the harness will die completely and i'll need a new set.

So consider that a warning for all you guys who want to "upgrade" your bulbs. your harness should be upgraded too.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
zoomie said:
Thanks for ya'll's help. I found the problem.

The bulbs are aftermarket and burn very hot. The heat messed up the harness and turned it a bit black. The connection therefore wasn't strong enough to light up the bulb. Solution (barbaric) is to take the bulb in and out of the harness multiple times to get rid of the black burned gunk. after that, the bulbs work fine...until you have to do it again. Eventually i assume the harness will die completely and i'll need a new set.

So consider that a warning for all you guys who want to "upgrade" your bulbs. your harness should be upgraded too.
What bulbs are you using?

If you are generating enough heat at the connection due to excessive current draw, the wires (Harness) will also be being damaged and will eventually BURN through and SHORT out the system... you should either UPGRADE the harness or downgrade the bulbs....

As for the 6 or 7 items in your cig lighter socket.. what is the total load on there? In my 4.1 the max load is 120W (10amp)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts