Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've been lurking on and off for a while and recently joined to ask a freak-out question with a very simple answer. (Thanks all you car guys!) I bought my first Rav4 new in March 1997. It's the Ocean Mist (light aqua) color, 5 speed AWD with a moon roof. I upgraded the sound system a few years back by installing a 10-disc CD changer, which fits perfectly under the driver's seat. :) Would like to upgrade it again to play digital stuff, but that's probably not going to happen.

"Little Rav" has got 19 years and 186,000 miles on it and it has been a trooper. Incredibly reliable, fun to drive, pretty. My biggest issue with it has been the *%$% drivers door freezing shut/open issue, which seems to be fairly common with the '97 Ravs. My workaround is to just not lock the driver's door in the winter. Not the best solution, but I lose some of the love when I have to get in through the passenger seat and pretty much all of the love when I've had to crawl in through the hatch a couple times. Have purchased some lithium white grease as recommended in threads on this issue and used it liberally . . . the jury is still out.

Recently the driver's window stopped working and I'm trying to decide whether I want to pursue that, since a new motor etc. is one expensive fix.

I have to make occasional trips from Minnesota to Chicago that necessitate my driving back late at night. As a woman I feel a vulnerable in that situation, so I recently purchased a 2012 Rav4 (base model) with 31,000 miles on it. I plan on also keeping Little Rav as long as I can justify it financially.

So that's my Rav4 story. Little Rav was the first car I've absolutely loved and I hope Big Rav will take just as good care of me.

Red

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi,
I've been lurking on and off for a while and recently joined to ask a freak-out question with a very simple answer. (Thanks all you car guys!) I bought my first Rav4 new in March 1997. It's the Ocean Mist (light aqua) color, 5 speed AWD with a moon roof. I upgraded the sound system a few years back by installing a 10-disc CD changer, which fits perfectly under the driver's seat. :) Would like to upgrade it again to play digital stuff, but that's probably not going to happen.

"Little Rav" has got 19 years and 186,000 miles on it and it has been a trooper. Incredibly reliable, fun to drive, pretty. My biggest issue with it has been the *%$% drivers door freezing shut/open issue, which seems to be fairly common with the '97 Ravs. My workaround is to just not lock the driver's door in the winter. Not the best solution, but I lose some of the love when I have to get in through the passenger seat and pretty much all of the love when I've had to crawl in through the hatch a couple times. Have purchased some lithium white grease as recommended in threads on this issue and used it liberally . . . the jury is still out.

Recently the driver's window stopped working and I'm trying to decide whether I want to pursue that, since a new motor etc. is one expensive fix.

I have to make occasional trips from Minnesota to Chicago that necessitate my driving back late at night. As a woman I feel a vulnerable in that situation, so I recently purchased a 2012 Rav4 (base model) with 31,000 miles on it. I plan on also keeping Little Rav as long as I can justify it financially.

So that's my Rav4 story. Little Rav was the first car I've absolutely loved and I hope Big Rav will take just as good care of me.

Red
Well, we just bought a 2012 sport model this summer. It's our first experience with Toyota -anything- outside of my father's experience as a long time auto body mechanic when the word "Toyota" was equivalent to "immediate rust" and not much else. Gotta say so far that this Rav4 is becoming a favorite.

·
Super Moderator
11,110 Posts
Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!
As far as the older RAV don't let your emotional attachment overrule your finances. It may be time to cut your losses and let someone else deal with it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts