Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Forwarned is forearmed.

The new Apple iOS10 (10.0.1) does not appear to allow music playback/control via USB cable as connected accessory (which has worked at least since iOS6). It goes into an infinite connecting loop.
It does work via Bluetooth (where music fidelity is lower, no album art, and volume controls subject to whatever your iPhone was set to)...but will never work by wire. Have tried disabling bluetooth, even restored iPhone to stock, and downgraded back to iOS 9 where I proved music playback works. So it's an Apple-generated incompatibility issue. :mad:

I've searched far and wide for similar issues with the new Apple music app having issues with connected accessories...but found nothing of significance. Probably still early since iOS 10 adoption may be very low this time.

FYI I have a Canadian vehicle (2013, JBL, non-Entune)...but hardware likely similar to USA so would reco you test with someone else's iOS10 device before upgrading yours. I'm not sure for how much longer Apple will permit downgrades back to iOS9.

There's a reason why they call it bleeding-edge technology...:wall

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I was holding off on iOS10 because my iPhone 5 is barely capable of the upgrade and I thought it might run a lot slower. This is another reason not to upgrade.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Do the earphones work alone? I'm wondering if this is a glitch because the new iPhone will not have a jack.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure about headphone conflicts. Interesting - could be a big problem if headphones not disabled before car started.

Mine is iPhone 6 upgraded to iOS 10.0.1 (which I've read is already a patched version).

Now some more interesting tidbit discovered this morning. The phone seemed to play normally on USB wired today (that's a first!) and I was able to get Siri to play a specific album without barfing/crashing. And music played normally track-by-track. The issues begin when using the dash or steering wheel controls to forward/reverse tracks. Music then halts, and head-unit displays "STOPPED". It won't play again on wired. Switch to wireless bluetooth and music plays with no problems.

Certain this is an OS bug and hoping they can find it soon. Such a pita to downgrade and gets worse as each day passes...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Forwarned is forearmed.

The new Apple iOS10 (10.0.1) does not appear to allow music playback/control via USB cable as connected accessory (which has worked at least since iOS6). It goes into an infinite connecting loop.
It does work via Bluetooth (where music fidelity is lower, no album art, and volume controls subject to whatever your iPhone was set to)...but will never work by wire. Have tried disabling bluetooth, even restored iPhone to stock, and downgraded back to iOS 9 where I proved music playback works. So it's an Apple-generated incompatibility issue.

I've searched far and wide for similar issues with the new Apple music app having issues with connected accessories...but found nothing of significance. Probably still early since iOS 10 adoption may be very low this time.

FYI I have a Canadian vehicle (2013, JBL, non-Entune)...but hardware likely similar to USA so would reco you test with someone else's iOS10 device before upgrading yours. I'm not sure for how much longer Apple will permit downgrades back to iOS9.

There's a reason why they call it bleeding-edge technology...
Really? My iPhone 6s plugged into the USB jack works for me on my 2016 SE with Premium JBL Audio w/navi.

Album art shows up. I can go to the next song from the steering wheel pad, from the head unit itself and from my iPhone.

So far ios10.0.1 has not been a problem for me. I have also received calls and the music stopped and continued to play after the call. What phone do you have and what year RAV4?

BTW, IMO sound quality is better via Bluetooth. Just slightly tho. And you are right in that album art doesn't come thru via Bluetooth, but that's not a big deal.

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
I haven't had an issue yet with iOS 10 either. But my use case is connecting my iPhone 6 Plus via USB to listen to podcasts in the car. Everything works as it used to, no issues. Haven't had a chance to play music or anything else yet. I don't have my iPhone connected by Bluetooth, just USB.

Oh, I have a 2016 XLE with Entune and NAV (not JBL).

EDIT: Somehow I missed that you have a 2013... I assume maybe the radios are different between 2013 and 2016? Or no..?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I initially had issues with the volume via Bluetooth and could barely hear podcasts, even at full volume with the iPhone and system. After two days, it's back to normal.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
I'm just gonna wait for 10.0.2, got no tolerance for screwed up updates, you'd think they could get it right the first time! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
57 Posts
10 on an iphone 6. no issues at all over bluetooth. never use usb, sorry, wires are so '00's.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have iPhone 6 running iOS 10.0.1 (and was optimistic about 10.0.2 since some audio config patches included) on a 2013 RAV Limited w/ JBL.

Guessing this is a compatibility issue between existing HU and iOS10 (which I blame on Apple since it was worked before)

Given all the other problems and weirdness I keep having on iOS10, I've given up on it - downgrading as I write this...

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
I've had no problems with 10.0.2 at all, at least none that I hoped it would fix., still have the no call issue that it had before that has nothing to do with Entune, prolly more to do with AT&T and the Iphone.:mad:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well isn't this odd. After downgrading back and forth to iOS 9.3.5 and still having some odd music playback issues, in a near rage I decided to do a full system wipe of the iPhone and reload my backup. Everything working good on iOS9. So, curiosity (and that nagging update dialog box) got to me. Was there some corruption on the device that was being carried forward/backwards?

Since Apple is still signing 9.3.5, I upgraded to iOS 10.0.2 again. Now everything is working fine!!?? Music plays back as expected on head-unit, Siri switches playlist as expected, etc etc.

Still not sure why this phenomenon was happening...but nevertheless all is well.

Now giving iOS10 a thumbs up now. :thumbs_up:

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
Like I said, 10.0.2 worked fine, no "new" issues, but what good is a phone that won't make calls? I tried every fix on the net, I'm over it now, moved back to a Samsung S4 Mini which has full function with Entune as a plus, so I'm happy. :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
No issues on my end. 2016 rav4 se. Check your lighting cable. Only issue I have is while on USB my music info does not display on screen through Spotify or Apple Music. Music plays though. Dealer has no ETA on software update. Any idea where I can get it and flash it myself?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Like I mentioned...restoring the phone, downgrading then upgrading the os and then restoring seemed to fix the problems. We shouldn't have to go through all these hoops but even I recognize the complexity of these upgrades and how some settings can get bungled up in the process.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts