Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on the other threads in this section of the forums, I imagine that I'm not the only one with the following issue. However, I have yet to find a solution.

In my 2016 Rav4 Hybrid Limited I cannot find a way to play music from my iPhone when it is connected via USB without touching the phone. Basically, when connected via USB I can see the music on my iPhone, but pressing play on the Rav's touch screen does nothing. When I press play on the phone, it works great. But then, skipping forward on the Rav's touch screen stops the music and I have to go back to the phone again.

My goal is to plug in the phone when I get in the car and then not touch the phone again until I get out of the car. And please don't suggest Bluetooth! There seems to be a lack of quality and volume from Bluetooth connectivity.

I have the iPhone 5s if that matters. This capability has always worked well on my 2013 Corolla. And the owner's manual makes this seem like it should be a no-brainer.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK - maybe I am the only one with this issue. I know that its a First World Problem, but I really wanted this new car for better iPhone connectivity. It is not currently meeting expectations!

·
Registered
644 Posts
I don't have an iPhone, but I believe, there was an issue when you plug iPhone with Bluetooth and USB same time.
Must be or USB or Bluetooth. Silly.
What Entune version do you have?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have an iPhone, but I believe, there was an issue when you plug iPhone with Bluetooth and USB same time.
Must be or USB or Bluetooth. Silly.
What Entune version do you have?
Interesting...I didn't try turning off the Bluetooth when plugging in. I will try that after work! Thanks so much for the suggestion.

How do I find out which Entune version I have? I know that it updated on the car on Saturday when I tried installing the iPhone app. However, I still can't figure out how to sync the car and the phone, but that seems rather unimportant given the limited uses. I just want music and functioning navigation - and right now the music has gotten complicated.

·
Registered
644 Posts
The updates you saw on head unit, were java apps pushed from Entune app on your phone, not the actual head unit software.

The software version you can get from. Settings, General, Software Update. Must be something like CU.20.08

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I fiddled around with the car after work. Turning on and off Bluetooth didn't work, neither did messing with any of the settings. Ultimately, I think I'm just going to have to get used to the limitations. Basically, I will need to start the music every time with the phone itself. However, once an album/playlist is playing, I can skip forward and backwards and pause using the steering wheel/screen. Then once paused I need to start the music again from the phone. Also, if I want to move on to a different artist or playlist, I need to do it from the phone controls. So I think I am just going to put my my entire music library on shuffle for long drives, and stick with certain albums when taking shorter drives.

I also played around with spotify and the same type of limitations apply. I can skip forward and pause using the steering wheel/screen, but all starting needs to happen from the phone. I'll manage - this is just a minor inconvenience that will basically prevent me from skipping all over my music library while I drive. Still better for sound quality than Bluetooth, in my opinion. So I will just get used to it.

I also figured out that if music is playing when a call comes through Bluetooth, the music will restart properly after the phone call (as it does in all other audio modes on this car). So that's a good sign.

Thanks for helping out, Nikolai!

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have the same car as you do and my wife's IPOD plays just fine from the cars controls. It also plays perfect in my Odyssey. On the other hand, I have an IPOD which is an older generation and it does not play from the car controls in either car. I had a 2004 Sienna and my IPOD would not play from the cars controls, but my wife's would play just fine. I never have figured out why hers plays and mine does not, but I think it probably has something to do with the generation of the IPOD. Mine is one of the first ones, so I chalked it up to an older generation with less functionality. I suspect it is the same story for you too. I don't use my IPOD any more, but rather use a micro USB drive. The only use I ever had for an IPOD was to load songs/books on it for road trips. The USB drive works better for me, since I don't have to deal with ITunes anymore. My wife uses her IPOD when walking around, so she continues to use it in her Rav. Unless you have a need for the IPOD outside of the car, I would suggest just getting a USB drive. My drive is no longer than my thumb nail, so it just sits in the socket with no worry of damaging it by getting it bumped. By the way, her IPOD plays just fine when her phone is connected via Bluetooth.

·
Registered
2 Posts
After trying so much, now it's time to take it to the dealer and try it in some other RAV4s.
I have the identical problem, with the identical player and iPhone. I think Toyota has a feud going on with apple; N-Toon has never been able to make phone calls directly from the system but rather insists on using the iPhone to make calls. Now, for inexplicable reasons it only recognizes my iPhone as a Bluetooth connection. I should point out that this happened overnight, yesterday it connected fine. I would not be in the least surprised to find out that this is a quirk of iOS 13.x

1 - 12 of 12 Posts