Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi. i just bought a new '05 rav4, and it is quite nice. i would like to hook up my ipod to the factory head unit. i'm thinking about going the monster icruze route, but it requires a cd changer hook up on the back of the radio. i just have the basic rav4 not the L or S. does anybody know if this will work okay? :?:

·
Registered
242 Posts
ipod

Can you get car-kit from Apple :?: :?: You might need a cass deck...Do you have cass :?: I'm going to do the same with my Creative Muvo :lol: :lol:

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey. yup i have a cassette deck, and that would be the easiest way to hook up the ipod, but i would rather have everything hidden, maybe putting the dock connector in the center console or the glove compartment. i was really just curious if anybody knew what the back of the factory head looked like, if there was an cd changer input specifically.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Or go with the i-Trip...it's the wireless one, just gotta program it to one of your FM channels. It's not that bad...

·
Registered
986 Posts
Speaking from personal experience, an FM modulator provides slightly better quality than a cassette adapter, although neither of them are spectacular.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the posts. i used to have the itrip when i lived in the city, not the best quaility and it was hard to find any free channels, but now that i live in the sticks i might try it again. it's looking more and more like i'm going to have to get an alpine or pioneer deck with the ipod adapter. the factory head unit will be missed.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bs0,

I am pretty much in the same boat as you. Judging by the manual, it looks like the CD/cassette factory head unit allows for a disc changer. I will be calling MonsterCable and Toyota a little bit later to verify. My only apprehension as to buying the iCruze is that the iPod will not display any text while it is being used, and I am not sure if the RAV4's factory stereo will display the text. Again, I will find out when I contact Monster.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lanser,

let me know what you find out. i jumped the gun and bought an i cruze on ebay, i found a really good price about 150 less than retail, but if i can't use it then it doesn't really matter. i agree, not being able to see text on the ipod is pretty lame, and if i have to track up and down through my 3,000 songs then it would be hardly worth it. i'm thinking about getting a pioneer deck and they have their own ipod charger/dock connecter which displays song info on the deck.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Currently using a Transpod wireless setup for my iPod shuffle.

Honestly, unless you're an audiophile, the sound will be adequate, akin to listening to a typical radio station with a decent signal.

Of course, one thing I expect is that not every brand of car stereo picks up the signal equally, but hey.
-PCM

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I-pod use

I see that on the Scion site a Pioneer AM/FM/CD + iPod Capability is avalable now. Should plug right in to a RAV. Includes an iPod adapter and universal connector for all other MP3 players-lets you control your iPod through the deck. Checked out some dealer sites and it's listed new for $260.00. :p

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just wired the FM modulator to my RAV 4.2 and I can certainly vouch for the sound quality. It is no different to the CD to my ears. All that for just 30 Euros/dollars! I have described it briefly on the RAV4OZ forum under "RAV4.2 DIY and modifications" and it is titled "how to remove the cigarette lighter panel". I think it is a cheap and a satisfactory way of connecting the personal MP3 player to the RAV 4 radio.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just found out that toyota wants over $550.00 for the scion I-pod head unit, no thanks. I just got one of the Monster tape deck adaptors. Works ok, but takes some fiddling to play correctly somtimes. Not bad for aprox $20.00 though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts