Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody try playing an Ipod in their new Rav yet? I love the fact that the Rav has an aux input in the armrest storage area but I have one little issue. When I plug in a power adapter to the Ipod (via either the cigarette lighter in the armrest console or the front console) I get a humming noise from the engine. When I turn the car off it's gone. When I listen to the Ipod with the power adapter unplugged it's fine. It's like there's some sort of interference coming in from the power cable. Has anybody else run into this?

This power adapter worked fine in my 4Runner, though I didn't have an aux input to plug into...I had to use a cassette tape adapter.

·
Registered
230 Posts
bbates said:
Anybody try playing an Ipod in their new RAV yet? I love the fact that the RAV has an aux input in the armrest storage area but I have one little issue. When I plug in a power adapter to the Ipod (via either the cigarette lighter in the armrest console or the front console) I get a humming noise from the engine. When I turn the car off it's gone. When I listen to the Ipod with the power adapter unplugged it's fine. It's like there's some sort of interference coming in from the power cable. Has anybody else run into this?

This power adapter worked fine in my 4Runner, though I didn't have an aux input to plug into...I had to use a cassette tape adapter.
I think you are getting a ground loop interference. Get one of these and see if it helps:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-2BpZ1zgXNyp/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=ground+loop&i=127SNI135

·
Registered
130 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
I have my power adapter in the console but have yet to plug it in since I mostly do the charging from the computer. I get the RAV back tomorrow from the dealer (VIP and Lojack install) so I'll try it on the way home.

I read about the problem from Toyota like Harold mentioned and a friend of mine had this problem in his car's XM stereo. McSwine's recommendation fixed the hum for my friend (he got one at Radio Shack) but he says it also changed the sound a bit. I couldn't really tell the difference in the sound.

I think you can also get them at electronic stores like Good Guys.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I tested my iPod with my 2006 today. The overall impression is, while the AUX jack is a step in the right direction, there is a long way to go, and the system is not usable without significant work.

The hum on DC mains is there. But this is not a big issue, since the workaround is available.

The main issue for me is the cabling. I am not a shuffle listener, and I have a few playlists which cannot be shuffled (Para-Para Max, for example). If you can drop the iPod into the console, set it on shuffle and let it rip, you are golden. But if you want to do anything to control it, you have to see the damn thing, so you have to have it in front of you.

In my old car, I solved the problem by mounting the iPod on the dash in a cellphone holder, and routing necessary cabling to the holder (power and audio to the FM modulator). Apparently, the same thing is unavoidable in RAV4 as well. I tried putting the iPod in a few cubbyholes, and it wasn't very convenient or safe, cables interfering with controls and contents of cupholders. Frankly, I am not looking forward at cable routing and driving screws into a shiny new dash.

It is true that there is no opening for cables to leave the center console, too.

Last, but not least, I may have a use for the center console other than hosting a snake nest of cables.

So, now I am going to make a step backwards in time, and burn a few MP3 CDs (for better capacity per a CD), see how that goes.

·
Registered
168 Posts
There's actually a mention of the noise problem on page 184 of the manual. At least I think it's about the humming noise, but I could be wrong.

K

·
0 Posts
Zaitcev, I went "old school" too. One of the things I originally liked about the new Rav was the AUX jack in the center console for my mp3 player. But I also didn't see the point of it being in the center console, since as you pointed out, you have to have your mp3 player in the center console or you are in for some cable management. It makes more sense to me if they would have put the AUX jack on the center stack, either on the radio itself or down by the power adapter. But it dawned on me that since the CD player itself can play mp3's why not just burn some mp3 CDs. So now my 6 disc changer is loaded with 5 CDs of mp3's and 1 regular CD.

·
Registered
654 Posts
zaitcev,

I purchased the Griffin AirClick control for my Mini. It controls the volume, pause/stop, fw/reverse, next/prev song. It comes with a velcro mount for the remote and I have it on my driver door handle. I had it originally on the steering wheel but thought it was in the way. The mount can also be worn on the wrist if you're out and about.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/airclick/

You still won't be able to navigate your folders but until Toyota makes the iPod adapter available in the US, this is the best solution I've found so far.

·
Registered
654 Posts
That's it, Kelly! 8) Thanks for the find.

I did a quick search on these and guess you can get them from many places. Crutchfield's website had a bit more info on the item. It's a bit pricy ($109.99) compared to my remote ($26).

Based on reviews, looks like the USA Spec works with the latest gens like the photo but might want to verify that first before buying. I couldn't tell if the cable was long enough to run to the center console.

This may be a good option for those who change out their iPod playlists a lot. I, on the other hand, only have about 7 gigs of music I tend to cycle through at one time. So that's 6 CDs and another gig or so on the iPod. And there are other things I need to buy first for the car. :D

The thing that would concern me about tying my iPod up to the stereo using the stereo's random feature. I think I'm doing it wrong when skipping to next random song. When I push the up seek button, it just moves to the next song. Not quite random.

·
Registered
6 Posts
iPod issues

I'm also frustrated with the design of the center console and aux. jack for my iPod. I'm not sure why that didn't design some type of cablehole at the bottom of the console or put the aux. jack someplace more convenient.

I'm actually thinking about drilling a small hole in the cell phone holder by the mirror adjustment buttons and in the center console and feed the cable through the cell phone holder. I've popped out the little plastic piece that holds the cell phone holder and can see clearly where it would be safe to drill the holes - NOT my first choice so I'm holding out for better suggestions. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

In the meantime I'm going to burn a bunch of MP3s on a few CDs - that can hold about 700 MP3s on 6 CDs depending on file size.

I've searched the iPod lunge forums and haven't found a decent option yet. You might want to check it out:

http://forums.ilounge.com/forumdisplay.php?s=a87ed8394b8056ea5b8631bcb455db9a&forumid=44

P

·
0 Posts
Ugh, Im a huge mac fan and of course have an ipod.

For starters, where is the power adapter? On the dash, armrest storage, or both?

R

·
0 Posts
purduealum91 said:
Ugh, Im a huge mac fan and of course have an ipod.

For starters, where is the power adapter? On the dash, armrest storage, or both?
12v power is next to the Aux Input inside the center storage bin.

R

·
0 Posts
I have a Creative ZEN Nomad Jukebox MP3 Player...and I don't plan on using the power plug since I'm used to just charging the battery about once a week anyway. I had read about the noise issue in the manual...so, it was no surprise to me.

As far as the location of the jack? In my old RAV, I had to lay my player on the seat next to me, and use a cassette adapter for the player to go through my speakers. So...this jack is such a GREAT perk for me!!

With this said...I LOVE it that I am able to plug my Jukebox into the auxillary jack in the console...and, it is hidden away from potential thieves. I don' t have an issue with it being in the console, because I set my playlists at home before I leave, and just let it play away. It is nice because I usually just set my playlists about once a week as well...when I turn it off, and then turn it back on for my next road trip...it starts playing right where it left off (I'm not sure if iPods do this or not). I have been doing this in my other RAV before...but, I always had to unplug it and either take it into work with me, or hide it under a seat that was hard for me to reach at night once I got back into my car. It was a real pain.

Anyway...I'm VERY happy with the location, and the noise issue isn't an issue for me.

S

·
0 Posts
RAVishing, i have to agree with you. i'm perfectly fine w/ the way the Aux jack is set up. its certainly a step up from how i had it before (using the tape deck, w/ awful static noises) fyi, if you use the ipod everyday, it will start off from where you last left off, otherwise it starts back to the main menu.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Location of the AUX jack

Hi guys,
i just checked one of the few newly arrived 4.3 rav4 in greece and I could not locate the AUX jack. The salesperson had no clue about it (he said that they have not received any info on the car yet).
Is it possible that the version we get does not have it at all? :cry:
Could you please describe where it is?
(or send a picture pref. :) )
cheers

·
Registered
654 Posts
Re: Location of the AUX jack

Toulis said:
Hi guys,
i just checked one of the few newly arrived 4.3 RAV4 in greece and I could not locate the AUX jack. The salesperson had no clue about it (he said that they have not received any info on the car yet).
Is it possible that the version we get does not have it at all? :cry:
Could you please describe where it is?
(or send a picture pref. :) )
cheers
Open your center console to the lower compartment. You should see a 12V outlet (? for your area) with a cover on it. Check right below that and you should see the aux input plug if it's offered in your area.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts