Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a deposit down on a 06 RAV Sport...will be getting it in a few days. I was wondering exactly what kind of cable I need to run my iPod nano through the connection in the vehicle.

Sorry if this question was previously asked. I did a search but didn't come across the answer.

Thanks!

A

·
0 Posts
To get the best audio, you'll want to use the dock connector (line level audio) as opposed to the headphone jack. The dock connector has the advantage of allowing you to control volume exclusively through the head unit. Take a look at the first photo in my album for a picture of my hook-up. I have a 3G iPod mounted on a Belkin TuneDok and connected to the AUX console port using a Nyko dock connector RCA jack cable. I use a RCA-to-minijack Y-adaptor to hook the Nyko up to the AUX port.
Of course, if you use the dock connector, you won't be able to charge the iPod while playing unless you get some other cable like the SiK cable. Check out the iLounge web site for reviews of some of the choices you have. Except on very long trips, there really isn't much of a need to charge the iPod while playing, so the Niko should suffice. And if you don't feel like getting that, you can always just hook up a male-male minijack cable from the headphone jack to the AUX console jack.

·
Registered
654 Posts
It depends on how much control you want of your iPod. If you're looking to control it from the factory stereo, you'll need something like this (I don't know how well this particular item works since I haven't done any research on it).

If you're just looking to listen to the songs and don't need to play with it much, then all you need is a 3.5mm mini audio male/male cable (similar to the male end of your earphones) from Radio Shack. One end plugs into your headphone jack and the other into the aux input. You can get them for about $4, more for a longer cable.

I have mini plug setup in mine and I use the Griffin Airclick to control it (almost the same controls as the wheel click). I didn't like fumbling with the iPod while I was driving. I've got the airclick on the door handle. I know where the buttons are by touch now so I don't have to even look at it. I tried it on the steering wheel for a little while but it was in the way.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Wait a sec. I thought the Rav4 came with an audio-in plug in the center armrest bin? If not, you can go with two choices

1) FM Modulator. Sounds crappy as it's CD quality music coming over radio waves. You lose a lot. Also some people complain of having to change the station setting from time to time. They come in all shapes and sizes and some lock better than others and some have charging capability.

2) Install an Audio-in jack. This is harder and requires you take the stock radio out to re-wire it.

But I swore the Rav4 has an audio-in jack.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
puttputt said:
You are correct that all the US 06 RAVs have the aux jack. In the original post, RAVinLion is asking what cable to use to connect his iPod into the aux jack.
Ahhh gotcha. I'd say any radio shack audio wire.

A

·
0 Posts
While any male-male minijack cable will do in a pinch, the audio will not be the optimal line-out audio of which the iPod is capable. Furthermore, the volume control on the iPod will affect overall volume which, by the way, will not be optimal. The best way to hook up the iPod to the AUX port is to use the dock connector as I mentioned in my earlier post and for which there are a few choices of cable.

P

·
0 Posts
AlexNJ said:
While any male-male minijack cable will do in a pinch, the audio will not be the optimal line-out audio of which the iPod is capable. Furthermore, the volume control on the iPod will affect overall volume which, by the way, will not be optimal. The best way to hook up the iPod to the AUX port is to use the dock connector as I mentioned in my earlier post and for which there are a few choices of cable.
This is sound (no pun intended) advice. While a 3 DOLLAR 1/8 INCH MALE TO MALE plug connector cord works great and is a nice way to start, it's just not optimal. I would also highly recommend a dock connector cord. In fact, there are even dock connectors which hold your iPod while charging and connecting to your aux in now so you shouldn't have a problem finding a good solution to work for you. www.ilounge.com is a good place to look for accessories for all things iPod, including car solutions. Many items are reviewed there as well.

John

Ps. Bottom line is you should thank goodness that you don't have to listen to your iPod through an FM transmitter in your Rav. I have had to do this in the past and it's just crappy, even with te best one made. The aux is an awesome feature and I can't belive MOST new cars don't have them.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Definitely a dock connector will give better sound. But for those who want to go cheap and who wants to get away from the FM transmitter, the mini plug is a very inexpensive way that will provide a far better sound than the FM transmitter.

Another drawback with the mini plug is that with some lesser quality MP3s, you have to turn up the volume more, which eats up more battery life.

A question re: dock connector and charging. Is there any problems with ground loops?

P

·
0 Posts
RAVinLion said:
I have a deposit down on a 06 RAV Sport...will be getting it in a few days. I was wondering exactly what kind of cable I need to run my iPod nano through the connection in the vehicle.

Sorry if this question was previously asked. I did a search but didn't come across the answer.

Thanks!
I found this product that is very interesting and looks like it will meet our charging and connecting needs. It is made by Ten Technology. It's a gooseneck dock that inserts into your DC source. The plug then has a miniplug out that would connect to the aux in in our Ravs. You are getting line level audio quality along with both charging and a cradle for around 50 bucks. not bad! The first link is Ten Technology's site and the second is an in depth review from iLounge which includes many photos.

John

Ten Techology's Flexidock
iLounge Review of Flexidock with photos

A

·
0 Posts
puttputt said:
A question re: dock connector and charging. Is there any problems with ground loops?
I think I've heard of some people noticing this problem on other Toyotas with AUX ports (specifically, the Scion tC). The newer iPods have very good battery life and so keeping it connected to the AUX port with just a dock connector cable without charging isn't a real hardship and avoids any potential groundloop problem. Ground loop isolators are cheap (Crutchfield carries one for something like $17) but audiophiles I've talked to swear it affects the sound quality adversely.
In my own case, I just connected the Niko cable to the bottom of the iPod and ran under the console lip up to the compartment where the AUX port is located. That way, I can access the iPod (advance tracks, disconnect, etc.) easily.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just picked up my 4WD V-6 Sport a couple days ago....and boy am I in heaven. :D

I too have an iPod nano. On my 1st attempt at hooking it up to the stereo auxiliary port in the bottom console, I got no sound. Nothing. Nada.

I was doing the el cheapo route: connecting a male/male 3.5 mm audio cable from the Nano's headphone connection to the auxiliary jack in the console. Turned on the Nano, turned on the stereo...nada.

Well thanks to this thread, I boosted the volume to max on the Nano, and voila!!! Excellent sound of Rush's Tom Sawyor blasting from the speakers.

Maybe I'm not as critical in my appreciation of sound as some of you are, but it sounds pretty darn good to me!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention that I will be purchasing a Belkin Auto Kit for iPod w/Dock Connector (part number F8V7058-APL-BLK) tommorrow. It's a charger with a 3.5 mm jack so I can connect to the AUX port in the console.

So, because I have to boost the Nano's volume to MAX, having this kit will keep the Nano charged and powered and continually playing.

P

·
0 Posts
CONAN said:
Oh, I forgot to mention that I will be purchasing a Belkin Auto Kit for iPod w/Dock Connector (part number F8V7058-APL-BLK) tommorrow. It's a charger with a 3.5 mm jack so I can connect to the AUX port in the console.

So, because I have to boost the Nano's volume to MAX, having this kit will keep the Nano charged and powered and continually playing.
I'm thinking that through that adaptor, it uses line level audio so there should be no reason to play with the nano's volume, once purchasing it. It's the better way to go anyway. Even though it sounds good now, it'll sound even better using the line level audio.

John

Ps. Let us know how you like the Belkin.

Also, proclip has stated that they will have a mounting device ready for our Rav4s in May. That will allow us an attractive mount to view and control. They said they woould send me an email when it is ready to go. I have one of their mounts in my Mazda3 and love it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You were right: there is no need to plug the 3.5 mm into the nano's headphone jack; there is a jack right on the Belkin. So easy!!

And you're right....it sounds great!

Two huge thumbs up for the Belkin auto kit.

B

·
0 Posts
I bought the 3.5 mini adaptor yesterday to try my ipod nano.

Music in the Rav is not a big deal to me.

At home I am an audiophile. I thought I would be disappointed, but it actually sounds pretty good.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have that Belkin car charger with the audio jack on the charger, and it's really awful.
I have a 4G iPod that's connected to it.
It seems to be a ground loop problem. I can hear a noise that grows as I accelerate, and I can hear what sounds like my hard drive making noise as it's loading songs into the buffer.
When it's off the Belkin charger, it sounds great.
Is anyone else experiencing this problem?
Is this something that can be repaired under warranty?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Rince, that is interesting, because I don't have that issue with my Belkin. Then again, I am using a nanoPod; but that shouldn't matter that much.

Sorry to hear about the problem!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts