Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My RAV4 is 4 months old and has an increasing tinkling noise from both door pillars. Not very loud but completely maddening. Noise from offside pillar stops when going round a gentle left-hand bend, and vice versa.

Research has gradually revealed that (surprisingly) it has nothing directly to do with the front seatbelt top mounting mechanisms. However, the top bracket lower mounting is held behind two thicknesses of metal on the door pillar, and I wonder if the two pieces are gently clicking together.

The garage I bought the car from hasn't a clue, and I can't find anyone in this forum with the same problem. But perhaps it will ring a bell with someone out there - please help!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Zorin,

That's what I thought it was at first, but the tinkling is there even with the seatbelt completely removed.

Any other ideas, please? Does anyone know what there is in that door pillar?

Bobcat321

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your contributions.

I've researched it a bit more. It is from the B pillar, ie right by the driver's and front seat passenger's outboard ears! Noise is best described as a creak, but can sound link a tinkling rattle unless you are close up.

It does it with the seatbelt and upper seatbelt bracket completely removed so in this case it is not seatbelt-related.

The creak is worse when decelerating and almost disappears when accelerating. The right creak disappears when turning left and the left creak disappears when turning right.

When new the creak was just audible from the left and didn't seem to affect the right. After 6 months/2000 miles it affects both sides. I've currently got the garnish off, which makes it louder, so maybe soundproofing the garnish could solve it.

I can't believe my RAV4 is the only one in the world with this problem, unless of course some Toyota employee decided to play a joke with just one RAV on the production line.

Please help, it's driving us nuts!

If we cannot fix this the car is effectively a write-off. How do I pursue this with Toyota UK, does anyone have a similar experience?

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Bobcat, did you have someone else drive the vehicle, put down the passagner seat so that you could crawl around and closely listen,and inpect?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Waltrav,

Yes, I've done all that and I'm none the wiser. Somewhere within the top third of B pillar is all I can come up with.

Within the pillar seems to a shaped piece of metal. If this is moving slightly against the pillar it might account for the creaking I'm getting. Any thoughts, please?

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
What i would do, if you haven't already, is remove all Garnishes.
Front piller, Center Pillar Upper Garnish. Then the sunvisors, assist hand grip and seatbelts.

Befor removing the Roof Headling to check further i would check the Exterior Roof Rack Brackets above the area you mentioned.

NO RACK: Pop of the 2 front Covers above the A pillars , Remove 12mm bolts and rubber washers, then test. Maybe the washers are missing.

WITH RACK: Pop off all 4 covers, remove rack & only the 2 front mounting brackets, then test.

When re-installing the bolts toque at 85 lbs.(with rack a 3m sealant is needed.

Good Luck.

Walt

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Again, many thanks!

I still don't know where it is coming from but I have found a fix. Pushing on each front door slightly stops the noise. Something (not sure what yet) jammed between door and frame should do it. Or maybe Toyota could adjust the door, the I've a feeling this won't fix it.

Yet it isn't the door that is causing the problem, because the noise is there with the door open.

Meanwhile I did get as far a stripping down absolutely everything from the B pillar, including all garnish, seatbelt, mechanisms, wires, switches, you name it.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorted

Sorted!

Two felt pads (the ones you stick on the bottom of chair legs to stop them scratching the floor) placed one on top of the other on the door frame, just above the door latch keep.

Creates a slight outward push on the door, and the creaking disappears.

Can't believe I've been through all this for a simple door creak. It didn't sound like a door creak. Maybe the guy in the factory who was supposed to fine-tune the door lock went off for his teabreak at the vital moment. Not very Toyota, I have to say.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Bobcat cheers :cheers:

Good news that you've found it.

Now you can take it to Toyota and show them and have them do a front door adjustment.

Walt

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine does it too and it's buggin' the hell out of me. Bobcat, I'll try the "felt pad" fix, I hope that it works.

----Two felt pads (the ones you stick on the bottom of chair legs to stop them scratching the floor) placed one on top of the other on the door frame, just above the door latch keep.

Creates a slight outward push on the door, and the creaking disappears.----

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again Waltrav. Except that I don't know if I dare change anything. If Toyota adjust the doors and then I can no longer fix the creak, I'm back where I started! Maybe just leave things as they are?

BlackRAVBeachBoy,

Is that a pre-2006 RAV you have or a 2006 onwards? It's just that it seems that mainly the recent ones are getting this problem (see their forum). Mine is pre-2006, but nobody else seems to have had this.

bobcat

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorted! The dealer has somehow fixed the problem by adjusting the doors. Judging by the evasion to questions, I'd say Toyota are a bit embarrassed about it and are pretending that the problem doesn't exist, but will quietly fix it if you ask.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Good to hear Bobcat :D

It was definatly something the dealer could do and should have done.

Sad thing is that no one could or wanted to tell you what the problem was. :eek:

Cheers,

Walt

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In fact all that needed doing was the door striker plate moving slightly..........

1 - 17 of 17 Posts