Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Now: 2010 Rav4 Limited. Previously: 2005 Rav4 Sport, 1998 Rav4 2 Door
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I owned a Gen1 and then a Gen2 Rav4. Now looking at a Gen3. Consumer reports says the Gen3 was pretty unreliable from 2006-2008, with major engine issues and moderate transmission issues. I know that 2009 was the year they switched to the 2.5 liter engine, and the older 2.4 liter is the same the Gen2 had.

Does anyone know why the 06-08 years might have been unreliable? Was the issue with the I4 or the V6 model? Any help appreciated.

And yes, I'm aware that Consumer Reports should be taken with a grain of salt; that's why I'm here. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,325 Posts
From all the posts on the subject over the years the 2.4L I4 IS the issue with many (but not all) having severe oil burning. But it applies only to the 06-08 models which are apparently somehow different than the Gen2 2.4L which has no such bad reputation. Toyota did rebuild many of the oil burners for free so that needs to be determined.

Just buy a V6. No such issues. Way more fun!

·
Super Moderator
11,583 Posts
The 2006 was the first year of a brand new model so teething pains were many . There were scads of recalls and service bulletins for '06~'08 models with either engine. As Dr. Dyno pointed out the 2.4l engine is to be avoided. From '09 forward they proved to be less problematic with the 2011 & 2012 V-6 models being the best yet.

Having said all that an older 4.3 should most certainly have any bugs or problems worked out by now. Just treat is as you would any used car and have it thoroughly checked out avoiding the 2.4l 4 banger engine.

·
Registered
2007 Toyota Rav4 4x4, Base
79 Posts
I have had my 2007 rav4 2.4 since before Christmas. It's been a very good running, reliable and in my opinion peppy, for a 4 cylinder. My understanding is it was built to withstand forced induction in some applications.

My rav has just over 89k on it now. The 2.4 has documented oil consumption issues but beyond that is reliable and runs strong for a 4 cylinder.

I have been monitoring it and my car is using around 1/4 of a quart of oil in 500 miles.

Not great, but not terrible either. My car is also very clean inside and out. You could check to see if the engine recall has been done, mine has not.

For $7695 I paid for it, I am happy. This is a limited use spare for me and it fits that role very well.

Im not suggesting you should or should not buy a 2.4 powered rav. If the engine work was done it shouldn't use much oil. The oil consumption is a major issue, but unfortunately it gives an otherwise excellent engine a bad reputation.

Just figured I'd share my perspective

1 - 5 of 5 Posts