Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tire shop put air at 37psi all around.
O.e. 18" wheels/tires and winter driving... is this ok or too high?

Is 37psi for winter/snow driving fine or at a disadvantage?

·
Registered
189 Posts
You mean is 1psi over the recommended pressure of 36psi okay?

Yeah, probably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid Limited
56 Posts
More pressure then the placard calls for reduces the amount of tire patch that makes contact w/ the road. Less tire contact w/ snow can’t be a good thing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You mean is 1psi over the recommended pressure of 36psi okay?

Yeah, probably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My door placard reads 33. OP’s might as well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Recommended tire inflation for 2019 Toyota RAV4 is 33 psi to 36 psi for front tires and 33 psi to 36 psi for rear tires based on its original equipment tire size.

According to
Tirepsi

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you look at the sidewall of the tire it says max pressure 51psi so 37 psi will be fine. I will typically put 37psi in my tires for long vacation trips to get better milage and during winter so my tire pressure sensors don't go off as lower temps drops the psi in your tires.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you look at the sidewall of the tire it says max pressure 51psi so 37 psi will be fine. I will typically put 37psi in my tires for long vacation trips to get better mileage and during winter so my tire pressure sensors don't go off as lower temps drops the psi in your tires.
This was my initial thought. However, being that is snow/cold times and is my wife's car we are taking for the long drive. I wanted to ask....

Yes, tires tend to deflate in colder weather; which also becomes more prone to a blowout + a bit better on MPG.

On my car, I typically put 40psi but, decided to put just 1 psi higher from Tire PSI spec.

Glad to hear an affirmation on the same psi and, on the same vehicle :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
More psi, less rubber touching the road. Good for MPGs, bad for traction. 1 PSI might not be a measure able difference- there's more fluctuation from the 36 from temperature change on a cold day.

There is a reason that some off roaders decrease their tire pressure.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Error 404 Page Unavailable

Reactions: 21RAV

·
Registered
174 Posts
37 to 40 is fine but understand the effect it has to lower braking, lateral grip, harsh ride and transferring more forces to suspension components.

Years of running high tyre pressure has taught me that in the long run, the soft rubber bushings will eat itself into pieces. This time around, I’m running 33 as per the manual as I can’t wait for those standard Bridgestones to wear out quicker plus I like the plush ride particularly when driving on crappy roads we have here.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I’ve got the Dunlops on mine. Not much info on them at Tire Rack - I assume they are junk though. It would have been nice to have some Michelins or at the very least some Continentals or Coopers.

·
Registered
543 Posts
The rough calculation is that tire pressure drops 1 psi for every 10 degrees of temperature drop.
If you "air up" when it's 50 degrees, you might want to check them when it gets zero or below. I know, that's the last thing you want to do on a balmy -5 degree day. Cheer up. You'll have one heck of a contact patch if you just ignore it.

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
1,233 Posts
The rough calculation is that tire pressure drops 1 psi for every 10 degrees of temperature drop.
If you "air up" when it's 50 degrees, you might want to check them when it gets zero or below. I know, that's the last thing you want to do on a balmy -5 degree day. Cheer up. You'll have one heck of a contact patch if you just ignore it.
But the softer the tire the more likely that pothole edge will get to the wheel itself. Not that 1 PSI will make any difference. Life is a series of trade-offs.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
BTW, OEM does not insure maximum tire patch. Not sure where those facts come from. OEM Tire pressurs is best ride quality that keeps the manufacturer legally compliant.

·
Registered
174 Posts
There's no legal ruling dictating ride quality anywhere in the world.

Lowering tyre pressure increases contact patch. Maximum contact patch is when the tyre is flat but obviously it'd handle like a bucket of poo.

Pressure size is also dictated by the load put onto the car. If lightly loaded, the return on overinflation reaps little reward if not mostly counterintuitive to the cause.

Many discussions have been made on this around the internet on tyre pressure on none other than bicycle road tyre where every watt (let alone 163,000W at your disposal) can be the difference between winning and losing as it balances the handling, grip vs efficiency. In a car that makes that much power, you aren't going to notice the difference in your daily "Traffic light grand prix"

Each to their own however, Your car, your choice.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Enough about pressure. Let's get to the REAL discussion . . . nitrogen or not.
I run a mix of Nitrogen 78%, Oxygen 21%, Argon 0.93%, Carbon dioxide 0.04%. With a secret set of a few other rare gasses added in minuscule amounts. As the amount of carbon dioxide continues to rise, I may have to adjust the mixture.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Firestone and Ford dealing with legally compliant.

I put good ol' fashion donut compressor air into mah tires.

I don't always agree with @paperboy on things but when I do, its about what to inflate yer tires with.

Stay thirsty my friends. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, I know that more air = less tire contact to the road's surface.
I use to do AutoX in non-SUV/Truck vehicles and had higher psi for its own intended purposes/reasoning.

I am not going to be drifting/autoX in my wife's Rav4 esp. on a potential ice/snow while travelling.

I am just asking based on current Rav4 user's experience insight and specifically in the contact of: 18" stock O.E tires within icy/snow condition.

I will have Autosock and a paid or snow chains incase I need them.
The Hybrid is a AWD - albeit, its not a always AWD. I am just asking based on other owner/drivers experience with this Oxygenated free AIR in PSI... oh @paperboy - Nitrogen, Argon, Carbon dioxide and farts~ that was hilarious! 😂🤣(y)

Either way, just hoping and praying no ice! Thanks!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts